z

Young Writers Society

masquerades

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:08 pm
Conrad Rice says...

What is the difference between a masquerade and a regular costume party? Do the costumes have to be somewhat fancier or something? Any other information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:17 pm
Alainna says...

I suppose the main difference is that you have to wear a mask at a masquerade, whereas a fancy dress party you just dress up. Also, at masquerades people just generally dress formal - they don't come dressed as something.

If you want a good mental image of a masquerade then I would watch the masquerade scene in the film of The Phantom of the Opera.

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:05 pm
Night Mistress says...

a masquerade you just wear a mask with a fancy dress and a costume part, you actucally wear the whole costume, including the dress, any jewelry and of course the mask.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:18 am
kris says...

A Masquerade, has it's own specific style; which sadly most people bastardize.
In a traditional Venetian Masquerade, one should wear a costume of a classical god or baroque dress.
The masks should be of the Venetian style, made from paper mashé.

Here's some history. It was originally formed during the black death, when people thought that wearing a mask would protect you from the miasma ( putrid air) which they believed carried the plague. Over time the wealthy began to elaborate their masks, due to the fact that they wore them for most of the time. When the plague went away, Venetians had already invested in these fabulous masks - so became a kind of jewelery... In later years, they were favoured by the courts of Europe, because of they afforded aristocratic party-goers some degree of anonymity; when "cavorting" with other party guests.

Hope this helps.
Love
Kris
x

A memorandum isn't written to inform the receiver, but to protect the writer.
— Dean Acheson