z

Young Writers Society

Breathing!

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:30 am
RufusCWS says...

So, I get that your body needs oxygen. But why?

Also, I know that there are other elements (nitrogen is one I think...) in the air that we take in, do we need those?
-Smith!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:05 am
Clo says...

Oh man, I sooo learned this back in high school in AP Bio... let's see if I can remember...

Gah! I can't. I had to look it up.

The hemoglobin in the blood stream is made to absorb oxygen which is picked up in the lungs, and through the blood stream it is carried to all the cells, where oxygen is required in the process of controlled burning of nutrients inside the cell which supplies us with energy.

Therefore, oxygen is necessary.
How am I not myself?

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:31 pm
kris says...

The body only extracts oxygen from the air, that we breathe.
It is taken into the lungs, where it is filtered by the alveoli and then absorbed into the blood capillaries in lung tissue. Where the oxygen fuses with the hemoglobin in your blood.

Woop :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:57 pm
RufusCWS says...

Cooool. Thanks!

But what about all the other stuff in the air? Like Nitrogen. Do we use that stuff?
-Smith!

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:59 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

My advice is to Google "respiratory system." You'll get more information than you know what to do with.
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:39 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

No, we only need the oxygen. We don't use any of the nitrogen, and we actually breathe out more carbon dioxide than we breathe in.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

The words you speak become the house you live in.
— Hafiz