Young Writers Society

When your research comes up short

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:04 pm
View Likes
lyrical_sunshine says...

Okay, so here's the story:

My novel is set in my hometown and the whole plot revolves around a waterfall. I have never seen this waterfall - only heard about it and been warned away by every single website I've ever visited. The closest I've ever gotten is 2 miles away, where a large sign is posted that warns swimmers and boaters to GET OUT OF THE WATER NOW BEFORE YOU DIE. (Well, it's a little less dramatic than that, but not much.) In my story, as you can guess, the narrator does not see this sign, continues swimming, and nearly dies.

The problem is that too many people in my town heed that sign. I've searched the website of every kayaker, fisherman, and town administrator, and all they can tell me is that there is a "killer dam" that causes the waterfall and you should avoid it at all costs. No pictures. No vivid descriptions of what it looks like. Nothing. Only my step-dad has given me a little more information, and even that isn't enough to go on.

So now I'm going crazy, not just because this waterfall is crucial to my storyline, but also because my curiosity is killing me. What does this terrifying place look like? Why are there "No trespassing" signs posted all around the riverbank? Why don't people want to talk about it?

If I ever figure this stuff out, I have a feeling my story might get a lot more interesting. ;)
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 pm
Twit says...

Why don't people want to talk about it?

Arr... no one's been there since the accident, nigh on twenty years ago it was. A party of young boys went swimming there, and they didn't heed the signs. Beware the signs! cried the onlookers from the bank, but they laughed and took no notice. The waterfall made a mighty thunderin' and no one ever heard their screams...

*ahem*

Uh, good luck with the research. ^_^
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:45 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

Sounds Lovecraftian. I'd just make up your own history for the waterfall, since your story's already fictional and you say it revolves around the place. Your version is bound to be more interesting than the truth!
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:03 pm
Sureal says...

Maybe there is no waterfall. Maybe you really live next to Area 51.

Really: the only advice I can think of is to simply go and see the waterfall. Looking at it won't kill you.
I wrote the above just for you.

241 Reviews

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:09 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Haha, yeah, I tried to go look at it. You can't get there by land. The riverbank is sloshy and marshy and it's impossible to hike through. Plus, people yell at you for trespassing on their land.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:33 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

Can you get at the waterfall from the bottom?
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

241 Reviews

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Okay, so I just decided that I officially love Google Earth.

I found it by following the river via satellite images, and the place is...weird. Sunken scrap metal and old cars, middle-of-nowhere except for an ugly farmhouse, and the river looks really deep there.

:shock:

*does happy dance*

It's perfect! Yay!

It would be nice to find some closer pictures though. Google Earth is great for satellite pictures, but it would be nice to get a few ground-level shots.

Seriously, though. This place is creepy.

The last of the human freedoms is to choose one's attitudes.
— Viktor Frankl