It really does depend on what part of London it is set it
There is a vast difference between say West Ham and Chelsea

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:33 pm
scasha says...

Thanks so much everyone for responding!
Here's a couple quick questions:

When you say someone is cute or hot, is there another word people use for it in London?
Also, do you call clubs (like as in a dancing club) a club ( I know in Italy they call it the disco)?

Thanks everyone!

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:36 pm
andimlovegalore says...

A word some people use for hot or cute is "fit" but it sounds almost funny when you write it down I think. I think it comes from a phrase which is rude ^_~ (fit to **badword**) haha.

I'd just call it a club just the same. I wouldn't say disco unless I meant 11 year old end of school year disco (for kiddies like). Maybe bar... that's more like a bar in a pub though.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:09 pm
happy-go-lucky says...

Just write whatever sounds naturally English. As long as you remember things like fries=chips, diapers=nappies, jelly=jam, etc. you'll be fine. But it really comes down to class. If your characters are from the working classes then they are more likely to use words like "fit" than a member of the upper class.
One thing I'd say is if you're going for the "chav approach" on the working classes, use words like "innit" (isn't it - randomly added to the ends of sentences where a point is being made) :D

Oh! I thought of another one!

Man/guy/boy = bloke/chap (as well as man, guy and boy)
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:44 pm
Blue-Orange says...

The Chavs I know wear a lot of sporty clothes and wear their socks over their trackies. They also sometimes wear big jewelery that some might call 'bling' but that word is really un-cool now . . .

Some slang I know:
Whatever
Grass/Leak - someone who tells on another
Green - ignorant
bloke - man
clocked - hit/fight
bliddy/bloody - mild swear
shite/piss - excretion
Old Bill - police
Oi
Six feet under - dead
Kit
Wassup?
nip - go quickly
Scarper - run for it/dissapear
Scoot - go away
Dipped - pickpocketed
lad - boy
Ain't
Nick/nicked - steal/stolen
Tyke - little kid, generally a boy
Kid - child/ annoying teenager
Yer
flamin'
Frog - French (rude)
geezer - old man/swindler
certes - definitly/ a conclusion
Cash/tosh/caio - money
Quid - pounds
P - pence
Pub - bar
Bogs - toilet
Underground/tube - subway train
Booze - alcohol
yellin' blue murder - screaming really really loud

I hope this helps. :)

Reviews: 4
Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:02 pm
MissMorose says...

I always find it really amusing when I see glossaries of Brit. dialect, so I routinely look at them. I went through all of Harry Potter and Rosie Rushton's novels without needing the meanings, because most of the terms are pretty easy to suss out (Brit. for Figure or Find Out). So here's my list of the ones no one really meets outside English writing.

Grotty- disgusting
Poxy- Girly or Gross
Suss Out- To Find/Figure out
Naff- cheesy/lame
Spots- Pimples
Wally- Dork/Nerd
Take the Mickey Out Of- to make fun of (eg. he was sure they were taking the mickey)
Snog- to make out with
Uni- University/College (nb. Brits ALWAYS tend to say university, not college in most cases)
Prat- Idiot
Bang it- to set something down (used in some parts of England, eg. Bang it down on the counter)
Swot up- Study
Chuffed- pleasantly surprised.
*Insanity is a gift that broadens the mind*

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:05 pm
Blink says...

Also, do you call clubs (like as in a dancing club) a club ( I know in Italy they call it the disco)?

Nightclub, dance club, whatever :)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:10 pm
Twit says...

MissMorose wrote:So here's my list of the ones no one really meets outside English writing.

Grotty- disgusting
Poxy- Girly or Gross
Naff- cheesy/lame
Spots- Pimples
Wally- Dork/Nerd
Take the Mickey Out Of- to make fun of (eg. he was sure they were taking the mickey)
Snog- to make out with
Uni- University/College (nb. Brits ALWAYS tend to say university, not college in most cases)
Prat- Idiot
Bang it- to set something down (used in some parts of England, eg. Bang it down on the counter)
Swot up- Study

The way you put it, it makes it sound like no one says those words, when they do.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

Reviews: 4
Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:24 pm
MissMorose says...

TL G-Wooster wrote:
MissMorose wrote:So here's my list of the ones no one really meets outside English writing.

Grotty- disgusting
Poxy- Girly or Gross
Naff- cheesy/lame
Spots- Pimples
Wally- Dork/Nerd
Snog- to make out with
Prat- Idiot
Swot up- Study

The way you put it, it makes it sound like no one says those words, when they do.

They do say them, but OUTSIDE ENGLAND AND THEIR BOOKS, most people would not know what they mean. For example, thanks to Harry Potter, lots of people know 'prat' means idiot, but not many people hear the word outside of the culture.
Hey, I live in Trinidad and we have some dialect no one really hears, but people use the words, BUT HERE. eg. do you know what 'maco' means? I bet you've never heard it if you've never been here or met a Trinidadian. But lots of people here use it. It means to mind someone else's business.

Just making my point.
*Insanity is a gift that broadens the mind*

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:08 am
fun4eva says...

here are some popular words from chockney rhyming slangs...

1)skin and blister-sister

2)north and south-mouth

3)apples and pears-stairs

4)mince pies-eyes

5)barnet fair-hair

6)tea leaf-theif

7)china plate-mate

8)trouble and strife-wife

sorry if it wasn't very helpful... these are all I know....hope I helped..
xxx

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:51 am
kris says...

Nope Chavs come exclusively from the lower classes and sometimes from the middle class...However, this does not mean that all working class people are chavs.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:28 am
Blink says...

Nope Chavs come exclusively from the lower classes and sometimes from the middle class...

No... chavs are just general people who are associated with bad upbringing, aggression etc.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

29 Reviews

Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:32 am
SunshineOrange says...

Chav is in the dictionary. Look it up for the "proper" meaning. I think it's something to do with working class, but I just look at them as a bunch of idiots who go around stabbing people.

-Ahem.-

I say Nippy Noodles a lot, which means cold :D
Ehh Maii Gawwwsh, it's GingerLizzy, on a different profile!

Got YWS? Want a review?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:46 am
Cpt. Smurf says...

kris wrote:Nope Chavs come exclusively from the lower classes and sometimes from the middle class...However, this does not mean that all working class people are chavs.

Chavs are NOT exclusively working class. In fact, the rich ones tend to be the worst.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

29 Reviews

Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:44 am
SunshineOrange says...

People also often refer to others as "love" and "chuck" too.

When someone says "our kid" it generally means their younger sibling.

:D
Ehh Maii Gawwwsh, it's GingerLizzy, on a different profile!

Got YWS? Want a review?

The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.
— George Orwell, 1984