z

Young Writers Society

Dire Wolves

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:30 pm
Fire In Bleeding Hearts says...

Does anyone know any good websites where I can do some research on Dire Wolves? I want to write a wolf story but, Timber Wolves are starting to get boring and I haven't seen many people mention Dire Wolves.

If anyone just knows some random facts, please post them as well.

Here is what I know:
Scientific Name- Dirus Canis (unless the site LIED)
Were alive in the Ice Age
Related to wolves, of course.
My writing is MY writing. If I don't follow your suggestions, yes they are suggestions not orders, deal with it. Bug me and you'll see why I warned you right now.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:45 pm
Faithe says...

All I know is that hardly anything is known about them. Hahah. Okay. They lived in America until about...9000 years ago, maybe? They're slightly larger than the grey wolf, and I'm pretty sure they had razor sharp, steel-hard teeth. Better than the average wolf's. They have been thought to have been used to crush bones. Yikes. They are thought to have chased the same type of food, only ancient, of course. They were pretty common during the last Ice Age, traveled in packs, and had shorter limbs than the average grey wolf today. The limb length and build indicate that they were not as good at running as the grey wolf is.

That's all I know, sorry. I would give you sites, but I have none. I'm a huge wolf person, so what I know, I learned a long time ago and I couldn't tell you where I learned it. Good luck!

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:57 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

All I know about "dire" anything, I learned from D&D. XD
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:37 pm
Fire In Bleeding Hearts says...

Well, the things about their teeth and limbs helped. For some reason I always thought they would have longer limps then wolves because of their prey.

Anywho, once more, thanks!
My writing is MY writing. If I don't follow your suggestions, yes they are suggestions not orders, deal with it. Bug me and you'll see why I warned you right now.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:18 am
JFW1415 says...

Results from searching 'dire wolves' on google:

One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.

Pictures from searching 'dire wolves' on google images:

And those are just the first few results.

So! I know nothing about them myself, and don't know if that was helpful, but hopefully it was?

And...

Google is your frieeeeend.

~JFW1415

Poetry is my cheap means of transportation. By the end of the poem the reader should be in a different place from where he started. I would like him to be slightly disoriented at the end, like I drove him outside of town at night and dropped him off in a cornfield.
— Billy Collins