z

Young Writers Society

Government Issues

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:18 pm
View Likes
cammie4 says...

Okay, so right now in my story, the main character, Vegas, has to be sworn to secrecy (the secret that some of her classmates are actually WMDs) but right now she thinks they're terrorists. Is there a way for these people to prove to her that they're not terrorists, and if not, how should I get her to swear and still make it seem realistic? Please help me!

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:03 am
Sam says...

I have absolutely no idea how it works in Britain, but arrest/detention of terrorists in the United States usually works like this:

- Evidence is gathered [some of it comes from wire-tapping, racial profiling, and other controversial methods in place by the Patriot Act].

- An arrest is made, and the convict is put into a federal prison. Many members of the Taliban, al-Qaeda, and other terrorist factions have been flown to Guantanamo Bay. Guantanamo Bay would be a good one to look up just because it's where people suspected of being of "enemy factions" go.

- If it's a false claim, the prisoner has the right to habeas corpus, which is a claim that they were falsely imprisoned by the government. There is then a trial.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

16 Reviews

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:07 am
xxfourthelement says...

There's not really any way to explain to a suspicious or paranoid person that a group of people isn't a terrorist cell, unless there actually ARE some terrorists running around that the group of people can defeat, spy on, or destroy.

If you still want to make her swear without doing one of those things - and it would have to be a well-known to HER terrorist group - then she may possibly swear out of pure fear.
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

16 Reviews

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:58 am
cammie4 says...

Thanks, that was really helpful! I think I know what I'm going to do now.

I didn't want to slow time, I just wanted to make a little rock.
— MomoMajesty's brother