z

Young Writers Society

Um, Ireland?

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 pm
jenni321 says...

I'm starting a realistic fiction story that takes place in Ireland, but guess what, I don't live there, so i don't have a clue. I'm thinking about a very small town, kind of out of the way, so where in Ireland would that be? Southern? I know the basic geography, like the big cities and basic culture, but nothing more. If anyone here is Irish or has ever been there, could you clue me in on tendencies of speech, behaviour, etc? Also, I'm thinking about the name Deidre, is that an uncommon name there? I want the main character to have an unusual name. Thanks a billion, you can PM too.

~Jenni~
On a scale of 1 to Random, I'm pretty ADHD.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:22 pm
gamechanger10 says...

Okay, so I'm not too familiar with Ireland, but you might want to ask Eimear. He actually lives there.

As for the name Deidre I have no clue. I know this one girl whose name is Deirdre. She's Irish. I don't know if it's an uncommon name there, but it sure is here. Everyone always pronounces her name Deidre, though.

Oh well, this probably didn't help much. *shrugs*

Good luck with your story!

-GC10
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 am
Jasmine Hart says...

If it's a very small town you're probably best off making it up. The smallest county is Louth, if that's any use to you. If you want it to be remote, I'd suggest setting it in the West. Unless you want a political element, I'd avoid setting it in the North. There aren't loads of Deirdres...I never thought of it as being uncommon, but then there's a Deirdre in my family...

Speech...it varies, depending on where in the country you are. Accents vary from county to county and different counties have different phrases. Apparently, "it's grand, sure" is a very Irish thing, That would be used for "it's fine." Other than that it's difficult because different counties have different phrases...

If you need anything else, pm me and I'll try to help if I can.

Now that I'm thinking, Siofra (She-uh-fra)would be unusual. There's a fadha over the i, but I don't know how to do them...I've only ever heard of one person with that name. It means "changeling"...if you need what little information I have on changelings, again, pm.

Jas
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:12 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

In the West, especially in Donegal/Connemara, there is quite a bit of Gaelic spoken. My favorite Irish saying describes the weather being sunny, rainy, overcast, sunny, rainy, overcast all in one day they call it "soft weather". Another one I like a lot is "Thanks a million."
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Huh. Didn't realise "Thanks a million" was an Irish thing... I think "Are ya right?"/ "Ye right?" is an Irish thing too...that would be usually used for "are you ready?" or "are you ok?". I've come across it a fair bit but I couldn't tell you if any counties specifically use it...

Also we tend to refer to "Gaelic" as Irish (as in speaking Irish). If we're talking about Gaelic we're referring to Gaelic football...but please don't ask me how to play because I know nothing other than it's ok to touch the ball...and I don't even know when that's ok...

That's the end of my ramble. I'll pop back if I think of anything else.

Jas
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:08 pm
StellaThomas says...

If you want a small town, I'd avoid the east (although I love it here). I'd go for the west, out in Conamara, or Donegal. Sligo, Roscommon, anywhere like that. The West tends to be verry rugged, bad land though. Cromwell's soldiers used to say "To Hell or To Connaught!" because the land was so bad, the people could either die or go to the west. There are also probably some pretty small towns in the Midlands, I couldn't tell you the names of any of them, but that's where the bogs are. Also, I agree, that Donegal is a little too close to the North to use without involving the political element.

As Jas says, if you call Irish "Gaelic" here, you're immediately marked as a tourist. Gaelic is a term reserved for the GAA. If you want to know a few words of it though, I'd be happy to help.

What era are you setting it? The present, or the past? If it's the present, ooh, I'd enjoy telling you all the cliques and clichés so much :D. D4s, boggers, culchies... Stab City, the bog, the Pale ;)

A common, very Irish greeting would be "What's the craic?" which is just like "Oh, what's up?"

Deidre isn't that uncommon at all. Hmm... Sadb is pretty uncommon (Syve.) I don't know about Caoimhe (Queeva), um... Derbhala is quite common, as is Aoife...er... I'm thinking really hard here :D. Sorcha's my middle name, I don't know how common it is as a normal name. Fionnuala! I love that name, I have a slight obsession with it, and it's quite unusual...

So yeah...

Feel free to PM me if you want any help!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:08 pm
Twit says...

"Deidre" is the name of a character in the Ulster Cycle, which is in Irish mythology. Apparently it's to do with grief, but it's ot sure what it means.

Behind the Name says: Deirdre - From the older Gaelic form Derdriu, meaning unknown, possibly derived from a Celtic word meaning "woman". This was the name of a tragic character in Irish legend who died of a broken heart after Conchobhar, the king of Ulster, forced her to be his bride and killed her lover Naoise.

It also says that Siofra means "elf, sprite."

You might not want to give her too much of an unusual name, though. That sort of thing gives heap big points on the Sewage tests.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:15 pm
happy-go-lucky says...

My dad works with a guy from Northern Ireland and apparently he says things like "so it is" and describes things as "grand" but that won't be helpful to you if you're writing a story based in Southern Ireland.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:30 pm
kris says...

I'm from Southern Ireland (Eire)originally, and there is not a lot of difference in culture with the UK...
The biggest differences are found in the colloquial terms, and also most everybody is catholic.
On the western coast, there are a lot of Gaelic speakers, and Slán gets used even by non Gaelic speakers...
You can use my Home town if you like :D It's called Camey - it's near Sligo.

Email me if you want any help :D

Love
Kris
x

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:38 pm
niccy_v says...

I lived there for a year so i'm all good with this topic.

Name: I knew a Diedrie (however you spelt it) and it's not totally uncommon.

Bandbridge is a nice little town. Of course there's millions of small, remote country towns, but Bandbridge, where i lived, was surrounded by picturesque countryside, huge paddocks, was fairly remote for a town, but had a school, library, hospital etc nearby.
I can't remember how far it is from Belfast but it is in the Northern half, County Down.
I miss it terribly and it's a great place to put a story.

Living there for even two months and you develop an accent. Because i was so young i developed it through forcing myself to re-enact it from whenever my school friends spoke, and it quickly stuck.
You sort of lift your tone higher at the end.
Go to youtube to hear some or podcast it on itunes :)
Writing gives my life purpose

Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.
— J.K. Rowling