z

Young Writers Society

America!

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:52 pm
Eimear says...

Hey guys, Eimear here. I was just wondering if anyone could help. The story that I'm writing's protagonist is from America, born and bred in downtown New York. And I'm at a total loss, being from a small town in Ireland, of how to make him sound 'American'. It's not just that, but I feel at times it lacks an American core. Is that very muddled? Hmm.

I would be grateful if anyone of you lovely people here live in the U.S.A and are reading this could describe living in America in one word? Also, if anybody uses any particularly American words could you tell me them?

Thanks for reading,

Eimear
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:56 pm
OverEasy says...

I think you are looking more for someone that doesn't just live in America, but in New York. See the slang and accents are very different depending on the state. I live in WA, so the slang I use will be really different from a person from NY.

I wish I could be more help?
Life is for living.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:02 pm
Dr. Jamie Bondage says...

Um...the one word that most describes America is Freedom. But, again, the accent verries from state to state. For me, I use ya'll. But that's a southern thing.

Hope someone else can help more.

Jamie

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:25 pm
Rei says...

Yeah, avoid using y'all.

I'm Canadian, but I live near the New York border and used to do telephone customer service for Americans. What I found with the NY customers is that they wanted everything done much faster than the Southerners and were a lot less laid back. We made commitments to call back the Southern customers, but never the NY ones because they didn't want it. They also talk a lot faster. Cities like NY are very fast-paced, which has a tendency to lead to impatience and always being in a hurry. On the other other hand, in the last several years, from everything I know, it's become one of the friendliest cities of its size.

In NY I think they tend to use words like "taxi" instead of "cab" and trash instead of garbage.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:51 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

This made me smile, for some reason.

I think that we Americans tend to use "gonna", "shoulda" and such unconsciously, whether grammatically aware or not -- I'm in the Midwest and though my grammar is sparkly clean, I still talk like that. It's somewhat embarrassing, haha.

America in one word, for me, would be "all". Not helpful, I know, but that's the way I see it -- if it exists, you could probably find it in America. There are lovely people and lunatics, and you're just as likely to meet one as the other.

Something I've heard about us from a foreigner's point of view is that Americans don't like to apologize. We're very proud and there's a high standard of living -- to bow one's head is unacceptable. Excuses are more likely to happen than a frank " I'm sorry." Maybe a little more "in-your-face."

This may be my own illusion, but we also are a little more impatient and tend to get a little angrier because of that, and depending who you're talking too, you'll probably hear at least one "What the hell"/"What the crap"/"What the BBQ"/what have you. Some people do replace usual cusswords for funny ones -- "sugar" for "sh!t", "poo" for "crap", "heck" for "hell", et cetera. We probably overreact a lot, now that I think on it. I say "holy snap!" a lot.

Other than that, I can most definitely say that a lot of us tend to say "um" and "er" and "uh" quite often.

All that depends on the character, though. Wish I could be more help. o.O

~Sumi
ohmeohmy

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:59 pm
powerofwords2008 says...

America is not really something that can be summed up in one word. sure there is the arrogance and the rudeness and ignorance. there is alot of bad stuff about it, but some things that are good about the general American is that overall they are people who take pride in their country and can come together under a crisis and sometimes surprise you when you least expect it by actually being intelligent individuals with manners and respect for the beliefs of others. being an American is like the spinach you never used to want to eat as a child. at first you don't like it because of the fact that it is different and not like other things and you've been trained subconsciously not to like it. but after a while you get to see the good things about it like how it helps maintaining health and how sometimes it doesn't taste as bad as you've been trained it does. there are good things and bad things and it isn't a one sided coin. it's as complex as a labyrinth.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:12 pm
Gladius says...

Oh! Pick me, pick me! :D

I was born in NY, though not in the city. One thing I know city NYers use is 'Yuz guys' and 'Juw' for 'You' (there's lots of jokes wherein a NYer calls someone 'Juw!' but the other person mistakes it for 'Jew' and becomes offended). Also, as Sumi said, NYers talk reeeeally fast. I should know--I talk fast! :shock: XD

If your character's born and raised in downtown NYC, you'll want to do a little research on the different areas--people in the Bronx sometimes have a different accent then those from Queens or another part of the city. Your character may have grown up horsin' (playing) around with the neighborhood boys, chasing cats and strays and causing general mischief or been semi-confined to the house and those people his parents approve of. Depending on the era in which your story is taking place, you'll also have newsies (newspaper boys, who walk around announcing the headlines and such and sell 'papes' [papers] for between 10 and 20 cents each) and a bunch of guys standing around with cigarettes waiting for a job opportunity to head their way.

On the polite factor, I really think that differs from person to person, especially depending on their up-bringing. One thing I and my parents have noted is that Southerners are more friendly and out-going--you drive by going opposite directions on a windy back road and the other driver may give you a friendly wave. In NY, you're less likely to get that, especially in the cities; in the cities, people are watching out for themselves because it's so crowded. Letting someone go ahead of you on the crosswalk may mean you're twenty minutes late to your meeting. Of course, being country NY born, I've seen less of that--but that's the advantage of being a country girl. :P

Another thing: NYers are less aware about horse trailers. Southerners (at least in my are) are very horse-conscious. They're very gracious about a truck and trailer trying to maneuver its load and slow down for stops and stuff, sometimes because they themselves have been in that same situation before. In NY, especially nearer the cities, you get the impatient city folk being irritated by the slow trailer--they're going to be late for their meeting!--and finally get fed up and dart in front or what-have-you, being generally impolite and rude with that simple action, as it takes a while for the heavy, fast-moving trailer to slow down without tossing the poor horses around. [Not sure if this paragraph has any bearing on your story, but it's good to know. :))

If you need anymore, PM and I'll see if I can help! :D

Oh! Here's a suggestion: if you need examples of city NY accents and late 19th century living, watch "Newsies". It's a musical, so there'll be long dance breaks and stuff in there that don't really apply, but it is a good story, too, so it shouldn't be too bad. You can also get a better feel for NY...though no t in its modern context, unfortunately.
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:21 pm
Twit says...

You could watch parodies of America; even though they're exaggerated, they have a point.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:30 pm
Kang227 says...

Dyed-in-the-wool New Yorkers are somewhat...aggressive. :P

I admit, the concept of making someone sound American is hard...we use a lot of slang, as do other peoples...
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:43 am
Meshugenah says...

Depends on what part of New York! I was in the city for a little less than a week, and I never had any problems, but I was uptown and downtown -- 'specially 'round the theatre district. I know Fand goes to school in NY city, so maybe shoot her a line about it? I can start on general stuff I noticed as an outsider spending some time there (and mistaken for a native a couple times... yeah).

But, in general! Fast-paced, NOT mean or anything like I've seen them portrayed before -- just get with the pace and you're fine, otherwise you'll get yelled at. Um, want anything on the subway? Bus systems? I used both, but again, I was only there for a week, so I know the very basic ideas, but not much more than that ^^Um... everything is really tall. Bright. Safe -- that was what weirded me out the most. I felt so safe walking around the city by myself, even at night -- could have been foreigner's ignorance, or simply because of my location, it I did!

Is that any of what would help you?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:44 am
Eimear says...

Wow guys, thanks for the full and fast responses!

I'm taking quite a big risk in trying to understand a culture so far removed from my own and make it believable, but all this is great. I'm taking notes! The era I've chosen is present day, and I totally dig the stuff about the fast paced lifestyle and home life. The main character has grown up in a less privileged environment, but as I'm still at a total loss for street names ect., I've made up the district that he lives. Nate- thank you very much.

Thanks everyone, I can't express to you how much I appreciate your help. I don't want to make America sound bad due to my lack of knowledge, and all this is great!

I owe you guys one,

Eimear
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:23 pm
spaced_out says...

Ok, so you need some help with ya recerchin' of good ol' NYC. I go there EVERY YEAR so I should know.

1. use 'a at the end of each sentence

2. cuss,cuss,cuss.

3 have a taxi driver murder in his past

4. and MAKE HIM\HER FANS OF THE RED SOX!

that's all you need to know

MATT
if you can dream YOU CAN DO IT!

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:47 am
Cade says...

I live in western NY, and I've actually never been to the city itself, but like others said, I imagine it depends which part of the city your character lives in. Accents and culture vary widely in the US, even in the same cities and regions. Your protagonist will probably have friends/know people who are foreign, who speak differently. I know my friends and I all have different patterns of speech, most of which would usually not be...picked up by outsiders, but we can tell, usually with the friends who moved from other countries or were raised bilingual, which is a lot of them.

Fast-paced for sure. I live in a mid-sized city and every time I get on the road for Driver Ed I feel like I'm going to die...
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:30 pm
JFW1415 says...

spaced_out wrote:Ok, so you need some help with ya recerchin' of good ol' NYC. I go there EVERY YEAR so I should know.

1. use 'a at the end of each sentence

2. cuss,cuss,cuss.

3 have a taxi driver murder in his past

4. and MAKE HIM\HER FANS OF THE RED SOX!

that's all you need to know

MATT

1 would get annoying. 2 is true. But 4? No way. Up here in NH, we love the Red Sox, and you can get beat up if you don't. In New York they *love* the Yankees. ('course, that's general people.)

Also, lot's of people go to NY to be big. Artists! All kinds - singers, dances, actors, etc. Ooers, journalism, the New York Times! Pretty much everything is in NY. If you want to make it big, you go there.

And people tend to not be as... connected. You know that feeling when you're in the middle of a crowded street but everyone's walking past, not noticing you? That's how it is. People's eyes scan right over you.

And you walk a lot. Getting in an automobile is insane - streets are crowded.

The people are just like everyone else, just with a different setting. A quiet kid who reads all day could live there, and so could some guy who will murder his parents at the age of 15. You can be anyone you want there.

I'd also assume schools are crowded, since there are so many people? I doubt you'll find the 100 kid private schools out there.

I kind of doubt many people wear uncomfortable shoes like heels, since they walk so much. They probably just carry them to change into in they have to, and wear sneakers.

And in NYC, there's lot's of places to eat. Stores everywhere. Not much green. Not much space in between people.

Houses are close together, apartments common.

*Has only been to NYC, so some of this may be incorrect*

Ooers! Watch 'Friends.' Hilarious TV show (though slightly inappropriate...) and takes place in NY. I think 'Sex and the City' does too.

~JFW1415

I am deeply disturbed by your ability to meow.
— Carina