z

Young Writers Society

Radio

183 Reviews

Reviews: 183
Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:00 am
LoveableLittleSock says...

You see, for my project, I'm writing about a girl who gets her own radio show (with her boyfriend) using connections. But you see, I don't really know the technicalities of radio, and how it works. My mom used to work there, but she only pushed the tapes of commercials around on a cart =)

So what I really need to know before I get in deeper into the project is like, who is in charge of the entire station? Who hires who? Who puts in the music, who directs the radio shows, who produces the radio shows, and how long are the radio shows? What kind of stations do relationship advice as a 1 to 2 hour show?

And then she gets fired, and she doesn't have connections, and radio's the only thing she's good at. So what other jobs are there at the station? What else could she do to rise up the rankings (besides sleep with somebody - although, that would be good conflict - but she's only 19...)?

So yes. Help me?
Got YWS?

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:44 pm
xxfourthelement says...

There's a guy who has his own radio station, and he's only 19 - check out kalebnation.com. I've sent him e-mails before, and he's quite nice about answering them. I'm sure he'd help you out if you had any questions. :)
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:38 pm
Leja says...

This link might help some? It's a Department of Labor overview of the job ^_^

Often times, the relationship advice segments are either in the evenings (since some are a little... risque) or incorporated into a morning talkshow type thing.

Eep! This is a harder question. Look up some radio stations in your area, especially that you listen to, and if you email them they would probably be happy to help. If you ask nicely, they might even let you shadow them for a day ^^

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
— Steven Wright