z

Young Writers Society

Vampires

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:42 pm
Dr. Jamie Bondage says...

The time varries. some stories say every day and others say every week. At least, thatzs my understanding. It just depends on what you wish to write. XD

Jamie

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:44 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

lol. Lots of questions, you have.

I don't know about the feedign thing, but I would think it's up to you. They're dead, in the end, so the question is WHY do they need to feed? I guess it's kind of like they are stealing other people's life to sustain their own...

Decide if your vamps kill when they feed, or if they just sort of snack of different sources, then decide how often they would need to feed. I've seen places where it's once a day, once a week, once a month... depends on the vamp, how often they get injured, how powerful they are and how much of their abilities they use.

*is obviously making it up*
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:51 pm
Night Mistress says...

Yes, i do ask a lot of question, but i want to be prepare on the subject that i am writing about.

one more question for right now:

are the vampire given abilities at the time of their re-birth?
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

250 Reviews

Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:59 pm
Night Mistress says...

sorry, but here's another question:

Can vampires have pets without, you know, snacking on them?

220 Reviews

Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:17 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Abilities

In some stories, the abilities of a vampire are something they are born with based on...

The strength and abilities of their sire (aka: they can become as strong as their sire) (aka: their blood gives the abilities)

Some strength they had in life (see Stephanie Meyer. seriously)

It depends of course on if all vamps have the same abilities, or if they have unique abilities. depending, abilities can be aquired by killing other vamps and gaining their strength, or training, or other.

It's again, up to you.

Pets?

Yes! Since most vamps drink human blood, it's actually not that hard for them to not eat a pet, since they don't have a preference ot animal blood. However, if they were hungry the pet could be a back-up snack. Or, if they do drink animal blood, then it would be a matter of self control than then only mature and experienced vampires might have pets (and might do so just to show off).
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:40 pm
Fishr says...

You're questions are leading me to believe that the plot and the general persona on vampire will be very cliche, as these senarios you've asked about have been driven into the ground.

I highly suggest to re-invent the vampire lore and make these creatures all your own - or else I'm afraid to say that if I were to read it, the story would become boring. Make your plot, characters and especially your vamps original, then the story will have a solid foundation and stand out on its own.

Up to you.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

250 Reviews

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:41 pm
Night Mistress says...

Sleeping valor:

Thanks for the input.

and

Samuel Garrison:

I plan to make these character my own, but i just want to be clear on a few thing first. is that all right? or should i just go for it and have people yell at me?

220 Reviews

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:49 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Fiction, my dear, is fiction. Vampires are so done that people are constantly finding new 'types' of vampires. From one story to the next the abilities, weaknesses and very nature of vampires can change. I know the 'vampires' my grandmother knows (actually called loup-garou, which translates into wereworlf XD) actually remove the skin of thier victims so they can hide from the sun by wrapping themselves in it (when in a pinch). It's the way the legends were when she grew up. So though research is good, you don't have to ask us for what we know. Decide how you want things to work, and go with it. No one should bug you about the fact your fictional character, of a non-existant race, doesn't fit the norm.

feel free to blow away the stereotypes and hit us with something new. I always love new takes on vampires. ^_^

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:38 pm
kris says...

There are two kinds of vampire these days.
The undead and the "turned".
The traditional undead, are reanimated corpses and therefor cannot become pregnant.
The "turned" from modern culture, are still alive...So i guess these kinds could be.hmm.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:54 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

I thought covens were for witches. What the heck would you call a group of vampires? A flock? A murder, like crows? A wake? A kiss, as in Laurell K Hamilton?
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:03 pm
powerofwords2008 says...

if movies are any indication, then i believe that vampires can get pregnant. take blade for example. he was the result of the mating between a vampire and a human though, so it could be that they can only get pregnant through a union between vampires and humans. overall though, i'm not one hundred percent sure.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:10 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

Wasn't Blade a half-vampire because his mother was bitten while she was pregnant, and not because he was sired by a vampire? Note sure, though, I've only seen the movies, not the comics.

EDIT: I don't think vampires could get pregnant, because I assume the body of a male vampire would stop producing sperm when he died, and a female's body would cease to release eggs. All their other biological processes come to a halt, so I see no reason why their reproductive organs would continue to function. That said, I think a vampire would still be able to have sex, provided enough blood was consumed beforehand to, for example, engorge the penis.
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:41 pm
Lilith says...

I read through the post and looked at a lot of your questions but I think the basic thing to remember is that your story is your own and you don't have to follow the rules of any one sort of vampire. To many times I here things like "my vampire's are like Anne Rice's" or "my vampires are like Stephanie Meyers". But in all reality, you should be saying "my vampires are original and they're mine."
Duffy -- "Watch out for Jesse, he wants what he can't have."
Emily -- "Oh boy, he can have me."
Duffy -- "Figures..."

250 Reviews

Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:54 pm
Night Mistress says...

thanks for all the input.

Note: I do plan to make my own type of vampire, but these are some thing that bugging me.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:47 am
XxdeannaxX says...

Everything I have read indicates that vampires stay in the exact same state as they were when they were turned. Meaning, no menstrual cycle, no dying... and no babies. Just people they turn into more vampires. I have read in several places that they can get humans pregnant, though.

When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up looking like a moron instead.
— Robin Hobb