z

Young Writers Society

Parallel universes, dark energy, and much more

Reviews: 2
Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:48 am
Minerva Scriptor says...

I am beginning a science fiction/fantasy story, for which I will need to do a lot of research. It is important that all of the information that I use is scientifically plausible. It doesn't have to be proven, just theoretical. What I am looking for is information regarding parallel universes and dark energy. I am also looking for ideas about passing between parallel universes (I know that sounds contradictory) in a way that has not been used a thousand times before.
I could also use information about possible undiscovered forces.

I am also looking for something a lot less scientific. I need myths, fables, etc. about a lost country or civilization of some sort.

I would be very grateful if you could provide me with information on any of these things. Thank you!

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:00 pm
xxfourthelement says...

There's Lemuria, information here:

http://www.crystalinks.com/lemuria.html

I also found an interesting site - HowStuffWorks, "Do parallel universes really exist?" The opening quote caught my eye.

"In 1954, a young Princeton University doctoral candidate named Hugh Everett III came up with a radical idea: That there exist parallel universes, exactly like our universe. These universes are all related to ours; indeed, they branch off from ours, and our universe is branched off of others. Within these parallel universes, our wars have had different outcomes than the ones we know. Species that are extinct in our universe have evolved and adapted in others. In other universes, we humans may have become extinct."

So Hugh Everett III is a theorist about parallel universes. The scientific name for "parallel universes" is "the many-worlds interpretation". It's technically an interpretation of quantum mechanics. It was received badly by the physics field when Everett first proposed it, so he quit physics and went into another field.

(That makes me wonder: What would have happened if he hadn't given up? Would we know more about this theory?)

This theory was formulated in 1957. Another famous scientist who worked on it was Bryce Dewitt. He advanced the theory.

The explanation for the theory is that the multiverse "is composed of a quantum superposition of very many, possibly infinitely many, increasingly divergent, non-communicating parallel universes or quantum worlds."
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:03 pm
J_Fang says...

Hope this helps...

I can't find the link again, but there was a news article I read about a group of scientists that believe that it is possible to create a universe given the right properties and believe that one day people will be able to create their own universes in their basements with their own governing laws of physics etc. etc. etc.

Stephen Hawkins recently (a couple of years ago) pulled a 180 on his theory of black holes. Stating that he now believes that Black Holes open into a parallel universe where there are "White Holes" where the energy being crushed by our black holes is being expunged.

There is also the timeline theory where as each moment of existence passes an alternate universe branches from there. It may actually be the theory stated by the above poster :), but I'm not certain.

----

As for Anti-matter, it exists. There are studies currently going on to try and develop a way to harness it for an energy source and invariably a weapon use. It has a 100% energy output, which is ridiculously awesome. The problem is that it dissipates very rapidly unless it is in constant motion and that's what they are trying to solve. I have a theory on how to harness it, but that's well yeah...More or less it would involve the storage container being a cylinder with a set pathway and I can't even begin to imagine how efficient it would actually be.

"Dark Matter" is theorized to compose 5% of our universe or so. A friend told me that a teenage girl came up with a mathematical formula that would allow it to be harness, however, it would cause catastrophic damage. (can't say how accurate that bit of hearsay is)
(I'm also unsure if my quoted percentage is accurate, but its what my mind told me I remembered from the new article and thus I put it down :) )

----

Talking about Universe Hopping mechanism theory...

Ehh--Black Holes (been done before).

Worm Holes (been done before).

Achieving Light Speed (been done before).

Possibly, reaching absolute zero 0°Kelvin in a space station/shuttle environment. Since it's not “possible” to do, it simply freezes that instant and when thawed in the next instant you've shifted to the closest parallel universe as determined by the magnetic stream you're on?

Tearing the fabric of our universe via the creation of a star or black hole and thus being thrust into another universe?
(Event Horizon--Was the theorized way to instantly transport from one point in space to another. Via compressing space between two points to the point where by breaking down the barrier you ended up on the other side, although it had disastrous consequences...Must see for a sci-fi or horror fan.)

A psychic power...(I know, I know, but you asked for ideas.)

-----

Atlantis...(Again, I know, I know...)

Val Halla (True its not really a “lost civilization, but it would be interesting if were literally just another universe where things worked in reverse 'like aging and death') You arrive in Val Halla via death or whatever means and then begin the aging process in reverse to be sent back to normal “Earth” to be re-incarnated. (A bit spiritually, but it's an idea.)

Where oh where did the Inca's go? (Could be some form of mathematics and astrology that they devised a way to shift dimensions, thus explaining their sudden disappearance. 'Kind of Stargate-ish though.')

Shangri La: Possibly you reach it through a magnetic convergence that only happens in one place on earth and thus it is more or less a specific portal point taking you to a new dimension. Hey, there's an idea for dimension hopping--Magnetic Field Manipulations.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:22 pm
queenb4ever says...

I just saw how you wrote "dark energy" it reminded me of something i watched on the history channel about dark matter. It is a theory some people came up with because the couldn't find the extra mass for a planet or something(sorry it's been a while.) Basically they said it was a different type of matter that has mass but was invisible, and even light can't penetrate it. So know they think it's in things far out in the universe such as black holes and things. Hope it helped even though it was totally random.

Kay 8)
Yum=Chinese Food

The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
— Harold Coffin