z

Young Writers Society

Portland, Oregon Residents!

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:50 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

Hey, I'm setting my novel in the interesting city of Portland and it's really important for the atmosphere of the story: I need someone who lives near or in Portland who can tell me what it's like= the scene, the atmosphere, the neighborhoods, malls, etc. Wiki is really no help at all, because I'd like a firsthand account of what it's like.

So if you live in Portland or near it and have been there before, please reply to this or message me- I'll be asking you a lot about it!
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:29 pm
October Girl says...

Hey! Well, um I'm actually road tripping there right now, I am heading to Portland, it's sunny I'll tell you that, PM me if you have alot of questions I might be able to help you :]]

-Max
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:46 am
OrangeNailpolish says...

I have cousins who live out in Portland and I have been there a few times. It isn't the best weather up there, usually cloudy and rainy. It is a huge city, with different districts and different schools. Lacrosse is a rising sport (in which my cousin was chosen to join the all-star team. Go Ben!). It's a very chill area out there, some are very wilderness-y and they like their music. I can ask my cousin some more about Portland, and get back to you.

Also, they pronounce Oregun: Orygun. They get very annoyed with people who pronounce it wrong.

Oh, and, from what I understand, there are some gangs there that sometimes get very violent, as many gangs usually do. Like with the kid who had a butterknife thrown into his head. Yeah. Fun.
“Oh, I-I-I’m sorry. Here I was in my own little world, talking to myself and dreaming about candy bracelets.”
-Dr. Perry Cox, Scrubs

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:38 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

Eek! THank you two soo much, I'm going to probably be contacting ya'll a LOT.

Like with the kid who had a butterknife thrown into his head. Yeah. Fun.

How convenient, really. XD I have a character in my story who's an ex gang member. Hee. I didn't know that scene was so..violent. But, uhm, thanks you two! I'll be PMing ya'll soon. :]

I owe ya'll so much.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:58 pm
sokool15 says...

I used to live in Portland, and visit there a lot...they've got some pretty nasty weather, but not as notoriously rainy as Seattle. Lots of greenery, LUSH trees and yards, because of all the rain. There's a pretty cool zoo there, and lots of stuff to do as far as shopping and restaurants and stuff. The people there are kind of weird - they tend to have strangely colored hairdos; mohawks are rampant among the male members of the society there. :P Portland attracts hippies, hitchikers, people who claim they are biking around the world, and guitar players. Sometimes, depending on the time of year etc, there are musicians and performers on the downtown streets...even though it's kind of illegal. obviously there's also a gang world, but I must admit I never saw it, really. I tend to stick to the nicer parts of town. Anyway, feel free to pm me with any questions if you want.

Yours ever,
MademoiselleKool 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

Why do we only rest in peace? Why don't we live in peace too?
— Alison Billet