z

Young Writers Society

Head Injuries

253 Reviews

Reviews: 253
Tue May 27, 2008 11:29 pm
CK Lynn says...

Okay, in this one story, my MC gets hit in the head hard enough to get knocked out, and I have him wake up 5 hrs. later. Can you be hit that hard and not suffer brain damage/memory loss, yet have it be a substantial time later when you come to?
Last edited by CK Lynn on Thu May 29, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just saying none of us want to conquer the world won't stop some other idiot from trying."
~Liberty and Justice, by Paul Dini

www.batmanworldblog.blogspot.com

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue May 27, 2008 11:34 pm
~Lashes~ says...

Well, there are such things as miracles so I guess so...
Yeah, no I think about it, most definately!

Paw

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:09 pm
xxfourthelement says...

According to http://hosting.texoma.net/business/biotech/thia-faq.htm:

"WHAT IS A HEAD INJURY?

The term HEAD INJURY refers to an injury to the BRAIN which is usually the result of an accident, or sometimes an assault. Often the injury results froma blow to the head such as may be suffered in an automobile accident, a fall or a gunshot wound. The injury may also occur as a result of lack of oxygen (such as in drowning), or as a result of lack of blood supply to the brain (such as following a cardiac arrest). People with multiple injuries (as in serious auto accidents) often suffer brain injury by more than one of these mechanisms. The term HEAD INJURY is preferable to the term BRAIN DAMAGE because the brain has tremendous powers of recovery. Furthermore, shortly after a head injury, it is usually impossible."

Also, to answer your question:

"WHEN WILL HE/SHE WAKE UP?

No one can tell you when he/she will wake up. You can only WAIT and SEE. Furthermore, head injured persons rarely wake up all at once. Rather the process of full recovery of consciousness is gradual and takes hours in the mildest cases, and may take months or even years in the worst cases, and may take months or even years in the worst cases. Some people improve only to a point and never fully regain awareness of their surroundings."

So, in theory, your character could wake up hours later. Five hours sounds reasonable, as long as it's not too severe of an injury.
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:21 pm
SIC says...

Well, I was filming a movie, in which I had to hang upside down on these bars we had installed in my roof, and the first time we shot that scene, I fell of and hit my head. I was in a coma for 7 weeks with no brain injuries etc.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:38 pm
Snoink says...

What would probably be more realistic is if he had a head injury, somebody panicked, brought him to the ER, and then he waited FOR FIVE HOURS to see a friggin' doctor.

Actually, he would be lucky. I waited for seven hours to see the doctor for a head injury, and after a CAT Scan, they said I was all right. Yeah, I know, exciting... maybe that will help the direction of your story?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am
gamechanger10 says...

i've never actually been knocked out for a head injury, but i have had to get my forehead glued together because i got hit in the head by a rock.

i've passed out just randomly, though and woke up like two hours later.
then i noticed a shattered lamp next to me.

i figured that i hit my head on it....because there was dried blood on my head.
but nothing was wrong. no brain damage...that i didn't have before...ha...kidding...

that probably didn't help much, but, to answer your question, yes, they could make it through without sufficient brain injuries.
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

On some days, my will to write disappears faster than a donut at a police station.
— Arcticus