z

Young Writers Society

How would the world respond...

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:41 pm
Goldenheart says...

I want to know how you think the world would respond if a completely new, completely populated, civilized, (medival) continent popped up in the middle of the pacific? How do you think the world's governments would respond?
Would everyone rush to the new continent to explore it? Would it be an instant tourist attraction? Would tests be run to figure out how it got there? Would war be declared? What do you think might happen?
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:58 pm
gyrfalcon says...

If it's medieval (and that's a very broad range of years, btw), I doubt war would be declared. I think it would depend a lot on what race the people were, what language they spoke, what previously existing nation (if any) they would claim as their home or would claim them. Also, resources would have to be taken into account: is there coal there? Oil? Whatever else, you know the scientists and historians from all fields would be salivating and shoving one another to get a look at it, and the diplomats would be politely slicing at each other to make treaties and such. Aside from possible cultural, historical, and scientific aspects (and perhaps, as you said, later tourism), I doubt it would be a wholly good thing.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

I think the more you understand myths, the more you understand the roots of our culture and the more things will resonate.
— Rick Riordan