z

Young Writers Society

Ma'am

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:28 am
PenguinAttack says...

In terms of usage, I hardly ever have the need to use "ma'am" I do, however, use "sir" rather frequently. In school I was taught to use "sir" and "miss" and I can't help but use them now, as I get older.

With friends parents it's always Missus, or Mister. I think it's all a matter of what I perceive as respectful.

I also happen to adore the term "ma'am" and on those occasions I do use it, I take a small joy in how lovely I think it sounds.

So, I think if you want to show a level of respect to an individual, Sir or Ma'am can be used. Other then that I think it obviously depends on how you've grown up and how oyu feel about it - personally.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:07 pm
Meep says...

I use it with adults I don't know - as in Sumi-chan's example of "sir, you dropped your wallet" - and I also used it in Moo Gong Do (a martial art I did for about nine years) with everyone, regardless of their rank (one of the rules is to respect all members, junior or senior, and I think it was a manifestation of that).
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a triviality as if it were a disaster.
— Quentin Crisp