z

Young Writers Society

Time Travel and Trains

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:26 pm
Leja says...

So my physics professor once gave an example of time travel using a train, something about the train being stretched way out and the person standing on top of the train getting really really tall. Or something. As you can see I don't quite remember :wink:

I'm wondering if this is a common example when discussing time travel, or if this is something my prof. just pulled out of his hat? And if it is something you've heard of, can you re-explain it for me? It was rather cool, if I remember correctly.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:50 pm
Rydia says...

I haven't heard that before. In fact, I don't think my teacher has ever talked to me of time travel. Lol.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:14 pm
Perra says...

I'm a little rusty on the subject, but I think what your teacher was talking about may have been time travel with gravity. When you go towards the event horizon of a black hole, the pull of gravity is stronger and you spin around the black hole faster. Eventually, you get stretched out, like spaghetti. What's this have to do with time travel? Well, the faster you go, the slower time goes for you or the less of an effect it has on you (I wish I remembered exactly. I think with gravity, the less there is the less of an effect it has. Satellites have to have their clocks adjusted in such a way so their clocks match those on the Earth.

One thing I do remember clearly is that, at the moment, their is no way to go back in time past the moment any time machine was made/activated.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:27 pm
Leja says...

Ah; I think that is more or less what I was thinking of. Thanks, Perra.

“Such nonsense!" declared Dr Greysteel. "Whoever heard of cats doing anything useful!" "Except for staring at one in a supercilious manner," said Strange. "That has a sort of moral usefulness, I suppose, in making one feel uncomfortable and encouraging sober reflection upon one's imperfections.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell