z

Young Writers Society

Navajo Tribe & Reservations

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:56 am
Via says...

I'm looking for information about Indian Reservations, specifically relating to the Navajo tribe. What are some of the beliefs and 'rules' associated with the tribe? What would happen if an 'outsider' was brought in (possibly adopted, or left from a family member outside the reservation, etc.) or if a child (between 10 and 20) were to leave to venture outside the reservation, what are some of the challenges he would really face?

I'm really interested in using something like this for a storyline...but I need some help!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:08 pm
Fishr says...

There is a book, but it's been ages since I've read it so I've forgotten the title and author, about a "white" boy that lived with a tribe of Indians at the age of about three. The tribe adopted the boy, showed them their ways of speech, how to hunt, stealth, and gave him Indian garb. But when the boy turns 13, he is forced to leave his "family" because all neighboring tribes have signed a treat to release their "white" captives. So, the boy is dismissed from a group of people he has known for the bulk of his life.

Very well written, and captivating book. I like it so much, I asked the library if I could keep a copy since I kept checking it out. XD. Well, I didn't know any better being that I was only eight or so but they let it go for a few dollars. I probably still have somewhere in this maze of things, lol!

If I can remember or find the title, I'll PM you. I'm sure it will be a great asset to you.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

Seeing is believing, but feeling is the truth.
— Thomas Fuller