z

Young Writers Society

architecture

Reviews: 3
Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:32 am
raven1always says...

I need ideas on different types of architecture, and ideas on the better kinds I guess. I'm writing a short chapter in which it involves a mansion, and sadly i know nothing of my topic. I need help to get me started please :D
"One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart you can't utter."
-James Earl Jones

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:18 pm
DancingRain says...

I found a link about architecture, i don't know if it'll help you but it'll all I could find.

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Architecture

I hope this helps :)

If I come across anything else I'll be sure to post it here.
"but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo" Fred or George Weasley
*Formerly Tanis*

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:46 pm
Prosithion says...

ok, So you want to build (writing-wise) a mansion.

First of all, are there any large rooms in it? If there are, you'll need beams to support everything above.

Arches will have the same effect. If you have arches in a room, they support everything above them because all of the pressure of the weight above them forces the arched stones together, making them incredably strong.

Out of curiosity, what time period is this in? Depending when your story is set, it will affect what type of electrical systems (if any) and plumbing systems you'll have in your mansion.

What type of roof is on the mansion? Is it flat? If it is, the rafters can be flat and pretty simple to build (but remember the beams, cause the roof is really heavy.)

If the roof is peaked, you'll have to put trusses up. In case you don't know, trusses are large triangles of wood, which have a frame inside them. They'll hold up the majority of the roof, but because they're made of 2" thick wood, they're really flexible. You'll have to have mini-beams between each truss.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

-Pros
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

Reviews: 3
Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:03 am
raven1always says...

Well I guess I was wanting more of a Renaissance feel, do they use those things you've mentioned for that? Anyway the setting is in a mansion in modern day. I guess for the furniture it'll have to be a little more modern to fit the setting, but I also wanted to have that same feel. The feel that the person is wealthy, and very rich. I know it seems quite difficult, but I guess I'm a little difficult myself.

And thanks for the people who actually responded to my complicated question;p
"One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart you can't utter."
-James Earl Jones

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:51 pm
Stori says...

Oh man, do I have a question! Would it be possible to create a structure resembling DNA strand? A sculpture might work, but a tower?
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:47 am
Prosithion says...

Well I guess I was wanting more of a Renaissance feel, do they use those things you've mentioned for that? Anyway the setting is in a mansion in modern day. I guess for the furniture it'll have to be a little more modern to fit the setting, but I also wanted to have that same feel. The feel that the person is wealthy, and very rich. I know it seems quite difficult, but I guess I'm a little difficult myself.

And thanks for the people who actually responded to my complicated question;p

If it's in the modern day, then it'd have to have sewer, electricity, and other such stuff.

Yep, even if it's in the Renaissance style, it needs supports like I said.

Oh man, do I have a question! Would it be possible to create a structure resembling DNA strand? A sculpture might work, but a tower?

haha, no it's completely impossible... and impractical. The stresses on each of the layers would be too much withough bracings all along the outside. Plus, the interior would be immensly hard because of the constant change in elevation. It'd be pretty much just a tower with a stairwell in it. :)

Good luck. Hope I answered your questions satisfactorily.

Pros
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

How can I be king of the world? Because I am king of rubbish. And rubbish is what the world is made of.
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane