z

Young Writers Society

A question for anyone who doesn't live in the US

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:29 pm
Layleun says...

With the Fourth of July coming up and all I was wondering something. Do other countries besides the US celebrate the Fourth of July? I know it's an American holiday and all but I was curious to see if other countries celebrate it or not.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:32 pm
Jules the jester says...

We dont here in britain as it was a defeat for us.
Man:George look at this.
George: look at what?
Man: Ha made you look!
George: Idiot!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:34 pm
Rydia says...

No. The fourth of July is an American only holiday because it's to celebrate their liberation from the British Government. In fact, I didn't even know it existed until about four or five years back when we brushed over the topic in history.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:55 pm
Emerson says...

Yeah... I don't think it would make much sense for anyone outside of the US to celebrate it.

Although, cinco de mayo is celebrated in many places, and that is more of a Mexican holiday than anything.

But Forth of July strictly being an American holiday to celebrate patriotism, I don't think other countries would celebrate it.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:09 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Yeah, I think asking us if we 'celebrate' the Fourth of July would definitely result in blank stares. It wasn't exactly a celebratory event. :P
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:25 pm
Fabien says...

Yeah, here in Canada we celebrate Canada Day which is July 1st also known as Dominion Day. We don't celebrate the 4th of July, but American tourists come over here to be noisy, loud and to shoot off fireworks on that day. I say "bugger off and go do that in your own country!"

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:15 am
Twit says...

We Brits don't have a habit of celebrating our past defeats. :roll: You should watch "The Great Escape" - spells it all out in there. Potato anyone?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:22 am
Dynamo says...

Canada doesn't celebrate the fourth of July, but Monday was Canada day and we had fireworks then.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:46 am
gyrfalcon says...

We Brits don't have a habit of celebrating our past defeats. You should watch "The Great Escape" - spells it all out in there. Potato anyone?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I just saw that movie last week and I loved it. Potatoes....*snigger* Anyway, I knew other countries didn't celebrate July 4th, but of course with my normal American-centerdness I thought that everyone must know about it. :roll:
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:50 am
Snoink says...

Cinco de mayo was a complete American holiday -- it was made a big fuss when newly immigrated Mexicans felt discriminated against so, to celebrate their culture, made it a big deal. Since it had to do with beer, we Americans adopted it. The big day for Mexico is in September.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:06 am
Sam says...

Our poor Japanese host student thought there was a war on in the backyard...so, yeah. If it's not covered in English class, or something, other countries don't generally know about.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:13 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Snoink wrote:Cinco de mayo was a complete American holiday

They still celebrate it in Mexico, as the day they beat the French slash gained independence from the French, but we Americans do tend you celebrate it on a bigger scale. And, come on, they do have Día de los Muertos, which is infinitetly cooler.

Funny thing, though, when I was in France, they celebrated American Independence Day, as well as their own Bastille Day.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:11 am
Rydia says...

Dia de los Muertos? Doesn't that translate as day of the dead or is my spanish just really poor?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:32 am
Insomnia says...

I don't know about anyone else, but in NZ we have nothing like that. I think the closest thing is Waitangi day, which is like on the 6th of February. It was the day all our Maori chiefs signed the Treaty of Waitangi. =O

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:47 pm
Firestarter says...

My neighbours have American relatives and they decided to celebrate it by keeping me awake until 2 am.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

We wandered the halls of an infinite magic nursing home, led by a hippo nurse with a torch. Really, just an ordinary night for the Kanes.
— Rick Riordan, The Throne of Fire