z

Young Writers Society

Racism in England

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:50 pm
Denouement says...

Specifically the northwest of England

I'm thinking of writing a novel on the community divide in Oldham, revolving around a white and pakistani family.

There was some trouble a few years ago, a pub got burn't down but i can't remember the name of it. Plus there's been a few beatings.

What i'm specifically after is news stories about racist violence or community tensions within Oldham (though any news story of ethnic community tension in Great Britain will do)

Much obliged
:]

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:19 pm
Rydia says...

A few bits and pieces I found -

Britain’s worst race riots for years erupted in the northern town of Oldham in Lancashire over the weekend of the 25th May 2001. Young men from a distressed ethnic community hurled petrol bombs, torched cars, and shattered windows, clashing violently with riot police. The riots have revealed the extent of antagonism and polarisation between ethnic minority and white communities in the town, and indeed across the United Kingdom. In particular, they highlight the grave level of discontent felt within the ethnic minority Muslim community. The Oldham riots are a manifestation of deep and long-standing social problems related to racism and deprivation within communities of all ethnic backgrounds, which must be tackled if similar catastrophes are not to occur again.
http://www.mediamonitors.net/mosaddeq6.html

And for lots and lots of detail, check out wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldham_Riots
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:28 pm
Denouement says...

Thank you :]

I'm still fleshing out this at the moment, trying to avoid stereotyping the characters and the like. Still undecided as to whether to have racism as the story or just an ever present theme.>_>
Characters are people too you know!

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:17 pm
View Likes
Imelda says...

Are you covering any of the racism towards white people at all? I can list a couple of events that happened near me. There's certainly antagonism, though mostly non-violent. Where I live, white girls don't dare venture into the town centre, because there's a huge number of illegal immigrants from the east of Europe and the Middle East, who stalk them round the streets. It's pretty scary.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:31 pm
Alainna says...

Erm....I know more about London racism than oldham but the bbc is a great place to do research. I found this link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2719699.stm

There are many others if you just type 'racism in Oldham' into the search bar.
You should also check out sites like the Citizenship foundation and learning sites....I'm not sure what would come up in particular though...

Happy research!
Alainna
xxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:21 pm
Sureal says...

I live in the South-East, but around here, there's a fair bit of racial disdain against anything Muslim.
I wrote the above just for you.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:29 pm
Lynlyn says...

Sureal wrote:I live in the South-East, but around here, there's a fair bit of racial disdain against anything Muslim.

There is in the northeast too. The way my grandma talks about them - and, gosh, the Japanese and the Germans as well - is enough to make me cringe.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

Yewis superiority!
— Several authors from the auspicious site.