z

Young Writers Society

Prostitutes, Lovers, Marriage, and all that fun stuff...

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:06 am
Snoink says...

Unicorn Killers will apparently deal with prostitution, marriage, and lovers! Fun? Not really. But still! Since I have someone going from our world to a world where things are slightly different, I would like YOUR opinions on what you think marriage, prostitution, lovers, and other stuff. Sound cool? I hope so! :D

Please, please, please, PLEASE, do not make this a debate. Otherwise, I will have to kill you. Or something. But seriously, everybody's opinions are valued and the more varied the viewpoints, the happier I'll be. :D

On Marriage

What age is a reasonable age for marriage?

What events would have to happen before you would consider marriage?

What kinds of things would you NEVER do for your spouse?

What kinds of roles would you see yourself doing within the marriage?

What kinds of roles would you see your spouse doing?

How would you react with the possibliity of an arranged marriage?

An arranged marriage with someone older than you?

If your spouse cheated on you, how would you react?

Would you be ashamed if you thought about cheating?

Would you want any children?

Is divorce an option?

Under what circumstances?

If there was children from a previous marriage, how much would you want the children to be with you?

...the mother?

Consider yourself at the age you are currently. Are you ready for marriage?

Prostitution

Would you support prostitution?

What happened if prostitution became legalized by the government?

If you found out that your spouse used prostitution services before the marriage, how would you feel?

If you found out that your spouse continued using these services after you two were married, how would you feel?

Lovers

Love outside of marriage?

Sex outside of marriage?

So yeah. Kind of long, but feel free to answer any question you like! Any response is welcome (as long as you're not flaming anybody... otherwise, as previously stated, I would have to kill you).

Thanks so much! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:02 am
Myth says...

Will it be all right if I PM my answer?
.: β‚ͺ :.

'...'

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:25 am
deleted6 says...

In my story prositution is actaully kinda forced because female slaves are put out on street and for marriage no idea. Though i'd feel pretty angry if said person continued after being together with them. I'd be very steamed.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:46 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Okey dokey! Haven't answered them all, but here ya go:

On Marriage

Whenever you feel ready, I think it varies depending on a person's experiences, relationships, etc. For me, I would say after I have finished university and have a job, so mid twenties. Also, it's never too late! I think anything under twenty is a little early.

I would have to be in love with the person and be sure I want to marry them, and that they feel the same. Also I think I would want us to meet each other's family before we got married.

Murder? Anything illegal unless there was a very good reason.

Eep. I would be very much against that, I want to choose who I marry becasue I'm crazy in love with them and want to spend the rest of my life with them. I'd want it to be my choice.

Same again, I think I'd be even more against it if he was older.

I'd be crushed, but I don't know if I would be able to leave them. Depending who it was with, how long it was going on for. I would know that I should leave them, but it would be very difficult to do.

Yes, but I don't think I would consider it.

Yes. Again, once I have a stable job, etc. In my mid twenties at least.

Is divorce an option?
Yes.

If the relationship has gotten really bad, can't stand being with the other person, if it was an abusive relationship then definitely.

If there was children from a previous marriage, how much would you want the children to be with you?
I would want them to feel like a part of our family, so I would like to spend time with them, to feel accepted by them. Assuming you're talking about them being from his previous marriage.

No. I'm in a six month relationship, which I don't think is long enough to consider marriage, I've only just finished my first year at university, so now would not be a good time. I'm nineteen, and I think that's too young to be making such a big decision.

Lovers

I'm in love at the moment and I'm not married. I find it perfectly reasonable and acceptable.

Sex outside of marriage?
Same again. It's not something I frown upon.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:07 pm
backgroundbob says...

On Marriage

Me personally? Ideally I'd like to get to know the person as a friend, then start dating them until a proper time to pop the question!

Cheat on them; force them to have sex; lie to them or steal from them; fail to explain issues properly.

House-husband! I could definitely look after the kids...

Well, if I'm the house-husband, I'd guess she'd be the primary earner :P

Arranged marriages come in all shapes and sizes - in some cultures they are used to force families into union for political/monetary gain, but in others they are simply the term for your parents suggesting good candidates for you until you find one that works - not all 'arranged marriages' are bad, they are merely the product of a society that values practical arrangements as much as the - more western - concept of 'free love.' Who are we to say we are right
/rant

Suitability doesn't necessarily come with similar ages; depends who they were.

Badly - trust is vital to a relationship. I would never cheat on someone I was married to, and my partner doing such a thing would make me seriously reevaluate whether we could trust one another enough to be married, and also whether I was a good enough partner.

Thought about it, no: sexual impulses and fantasies (of any nature) are human. More than thinking, however, would be absolutely unacceptable and shameful.

Absolutely, when the time is right.

Is divorce an option?
Yes.

It being more harmful in the short and long term for the two of us and those around us to stay together than for us to seperate.

As they were my own.

...the mother?
As above.

No.

Prostitution

No

Very little would change.

If you found out that your spouse used prostitution services before the marriage, how would you feel?
Amused, curious, wanting to know if it was a problem I could help with.

If you found out that your spouse continued using these services after you two were married, how would you feel?
More concerned, with some serious questions of sexual adaquacy and my partner's psychological state.

Lovers

How are we defining love? Brotherly love: absolutely. Love before marriage to someone: definitely. Long term committed partnership without getting married: why aren't you married?!
I think that love, in more terms than we understand it today (limited to sexual/marital/occasionally a few others), is absolutely necessary in all spheres of society. I want to honestly be able to say that I love my friends and family with my whole heart, holding nothing back, and that I seek to draw as many people as possible into a community that supports and cares for people that way.

Sex outside of marriage?
"Ah, there's the rub."
Yes, but not casually; not something to be given away cheaply. Something very special shared between people with a special connection.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:14 pm
Snoink says...

Myth wrote:Will it be all right if I PM my answer?

Of course!

Thanks for all the responses so far. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:25 am
Jennafina says...

I think this varies from person to person. Legally, I think it should be eighteen, because before that, I doubt you can know for certain you want to spend the rest of your life with someone.

I'd have to be in love with someone I could get along with, we'd both have to be ready to make sacrifices. Also, we'd have to have gone to marriage counseling, or at least had a serious talk about possible problems and how we'd solve them.

That depends on who my spouse is. It would be nice to mary someone I'd do anything for.

Well, it would make things simpler.

It depends on how old. I wouldn't want to marry a seventy-year-old, but a little older would be okay.

I wouldn't want to know about it, unless there were STD's involved.

Just thinking about cheating isn't that bad, but I'd feel a little guilty, anyway. I'm almost positive I'd never actually cheat. I'd rather get a divorce or just ignore the person I thought about cheating with.

No. I like the idea of them, but I don't think I'd have them. My spouse would have to be okay with that before we got married.

Is divorce an option?
Yes, but it shouldn't be a first resort.

If we're both unhappy with each other, and we've tried to fix it but can't.

I'd want them a lot.

...the mother?
The other mother? Not so much.

No way. I change my mind too much.

I don't know if I'd support it, but I'm not that against it.

It would probably become a lot safer, since it would be taxed and regulated.

If it were legalized, I'd be okay with it.

Lousy, like I'm not good enough.

Unavoidable. :P

Sex outside of marriage?
Before marriage, it's a personal choice and I'm okay . During marriage, I don't think people should have sex with anyone but their spouses.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:06 am
Meshugenah says...

On Marriage

18, though early to mid twenties is more reasonable.

Friendship first, then dating, then marriage.

For? I couldn't tell you, it all depends upon the person. It sounds rather horrible, but it's true. I think we'd all like to find the "perfect someone" for whom we'd do anything, but the reality just isn't there. So, it depends.

I go stir-crazy very easily. Heck, it's not even the first week of summer and I'm already bored to death. I don't think I could handle raising a family mentally -- I've watched my mother and many friends/friend's mothers do it, and I know I just couldn't deal, at least at this point in my life. I'm happiest working.

Whatever can be done? I think it really depends upon the person. If no kids, then work of some sort.

How would you react with the possibility of an arranged marriage?
There are days I hate the idea, there are days I think it'd make life a whole lot easier. To western culture, it's really considered outrageous, but I can see the sense in it. I don't know how I would ever be happy with someone I was forced to marry, or if I could love him. Then again, I don't know if I could find love on my own. I don't know if I believe in love, even! I'd like it to be true, but I'm a cynic by nature and experience.

Depends how much older. More than 5 and I'd be creeped out.

Not well? Honestly, I don't know. It depends if I really love the person or not. It would make me question my sexuality, that's for sure.

No. Actually... if boyfriends count, I've thought about it. Then again, I didn't really like him. Also, it depends on if the train of thought was triggered by something more -- an argument, a long absence, doubts about his faithfulness.

ould you want any children?
Right now, I want nothing to do with children. Maybe in ten years I'll say differently, though.

Is divorce an option?
Yes, but not first choice.

Extreme ones. (if you want me to elaborate,I will)

I think that depends upon the age of the children, the mother (around? no? abusive? etc.). I'd like to say I would love to have them, but I honestly couldn't say that. It'd be a constant reminder that I wasn't the first choice (especially depending how long I've know my spouse).

...the mother?
Awkward. I guess it depends upon the circumstances of the divorce (or whatever it was) -- goes for this and the above question.

No way in hell, pardon the expression. But no. Not now.

Prostitution

Um...no.

Huge profit increases. Same with legalized marijuana's and such. Government would make loads more money.

I'd be grossed out, quite frankly. Anyone who needs sex that much...

I would probably break down. I don't think I could handle knowing that I wasn't enough or good enough for someone who married me. And I'll admit, I can be pretty self-centred, especially when it comes to matters of the heart (from my minimal experience). I'd worry about myself first, then the other person. Then again, maybe not. i honestly can't say. I tend to either forget about myself, or ignore everyone else in everything, if that makes any sense (ok, so the former I've been yelled at for, yes, yelled at... and the latter, too, but under different circumstances. I think it stems from the fact that my family hates me if I do anything for myself before others, but my friends yell at me for it, because I tend to break down at school when it gets to be too much... yeah. Um, moving on!)

Lovers

How are you defining love? Love as in a boyfriend before marriage, or love as in a lover on the side, aka cheating? Love with friends is unavoidable, otherwise why have friends?

Sex outside of marriage?
I say no now, but I don't know.
I mean, it's supposed to be something special. I don't want to just throw myself out there. Then again, I've been told I'm an old-fashioned idealist.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:16 pm
Pushca says...

On Marriage

It depends. Definitely after college. (I've always assumed I'd go to college, so it's kind of hard to think about life without it.) 20 is my absolute minimum of acceptability. For me, late 20's on, but I'm kinda screwed up when it comes to marriage, so probably never.

Love?

Kill myself? Eat foi gras, or however you spell that? It would depend on the person. Unconditional love is hard to come by.

Well... it would make things a lot easier. If I was part of a society that did things that way, and assuming I wasn't in love with anybody else, and if so, that I could still see them, then I doubt I would have much of a problem with it.

How much older? An arranged marriage with someone who's 18 is different than 63... but how much? Arranged marriage is arranged marriage. It's easier to have something in common with someone the same age as you. but it's not the biggest deal I can think of.

Well, I really don't trust anybody. It would depend how in love I was. If this was that unconditional love we discussed before, it would be divorce. If it was more of a meh relationship, I might get over it. But I might use it as an excuse to divorce out of a meh relationship.

Looked at another guy? No. Casually thought? Yeah, but not for very long. Seriously considered? Yes.

Maybe one adopted. I wouldn't get pregnant on purpose, but I wouldn't get an abortion either.

Is divorce an option?

Yes.

We figured out we hated each other.

...the mother?

It would depend, I guess. Who the kids were, who the mother was. Unless they were God awful, I wouldn't have a problem treating them as my own. As far as the mother goes, though, talk about awkward.

15 and no.

Prostitution

No.

Yeah right. But, well, then I guess it would be legal. I wouldn't hire one, I wouldn't head to the corner in a mini, nor would I rally around the White House with a picket sign, if that's what you're asking.

Uhhh, mildly concerned.

Do I really suck that bad in bed?

Lovers

If you don't ever love anybody ever except your spouse, it's something to worry about.

Sex outside of marriage?

Yup. Once your married, though, only with your spouse.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:43 pm
Rydia says...

On Marriage

If you're in love then 18 is but personally, I'll wait until I'm at least 23. I want to get through university and stuff first.

I have fallen in love, I have tried living with the man, I have been engaged to him, we have met each other's family, we have been together at least a year.

Anything illegal unless it was to save his life and then that would vary for each situation.

I would clean, I would care for the children, I would follow my career and I would cook. Gardening is all his though!

He would work, help look after the children, do the gardening, help with the cooking and help with the cleaning.

Fine if both parties involved are happy but for me? Not unless I loved him and he was willing.

Same as above.

I'd talk to him about it and then the situation would decide. If there were children involved, I'd want us to stay together. If not, it would depend on how he felt about the other woman, whether he regretted it etc.

Of course.

Yes. I want children more than anything else. I'd love a boy and twin girls but I certainly want them. I don't know if I could have a relationship with someone who didn't want children.

Is divorce an option?

Yes but preferably not if there are children.

Abuse, he wants it, crime etc.

I'd want them to treat me like a second mother.

...the mother?

I'd want to be friends and I'd need tips on handling his bad habits ;)

No. Nowhere near ready.

Prostitution

Never.

If someone is in a desperate situation or enjoys it then sure, I'm open minded.

I could cope with that.

Okay if it was before.

Worried, angry, very bad.

Lovers

Sure.

Sex outside of marriage?

Yeah, nothing wrong with it.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:04 pm
Alainna says...

On Marriage

Any age as long as you're comfortable with it. But under 16 is illegal....

Anything that goes against my beliefs, like eating meat or becoming religious.

What kinds of roles would you see yourself doing within the marriage? Anything and everything. I'd still want a job so housework and stuff would have to be delegated appropriately... Kids would be both our responsibility.

The same stuff that I'd be doing. Working and housework. Looking after kids if we had any.

....Swears loudly. My parents are an arranged marriage and I am totally against it in every way. I'd rather die than have an arranged marriage. It kills your soul.

Again, no way.

Divorce........

Yes, but I'd never follow it through. Instead I'd think about my marriage and see how I can improve it to stop myself from thinking about cheating.

Maybe..

Is divorce an option?
I suppose.

Cheating, no longer even like each other. Better if there are kids involved to be separate than argue all the time.

A lot, but the father has every right too.

No way....only fourteen..

Prostitution

No.

Distraught.

Like I'd want to kill him....I wouldn't though...

Lovers

Yes. Marriage isn't everything. Everyone should be loved.

Sex outside of marriage?
Yep. Not everyone will get married, so why deprive yourself of intimacy? If it feels right, then go for it.

Overall, I'm not bothered about getting married. I do want kids...but in a loooooong time from now.

Hope that helps,
Alainna
xxxxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:49 pm
tinny says...

On Marriage

Over twenty-one as a minimum.

I don't know. I'd have to have known him for a while I guess.

Anything illegal that is also immoral. And went against my personal beliefs.

I honestly have no idea what I'd be like.

He'd have to cook and clean as I'm nopt very good at either of those things.

How would you react with the possiblity of an arranged marriage?
If it was arranged by my family, not very well. Not very well at all. I think I'd be more curious if my friends were involved.

If you mean as in very old, then I'd be very disturbed indeed.

I'd probably think it was my own fault and that I'd done something wrong.

Probably.

After we saw an awful video in our biology class a few months ago, no. No way.

Is divorce an option?
Only as a last resort. I can't really say no; my parents are divorced.

They'd have to be pretty extreme. I suppose not caring any more doesn't count.

I'd want the kids, then I'd have children without going through childbirth myself.

...the mother?
It all depends on who's the better parent for them.

I'm 17, I've never been on a date. Personally, i don't think I'll ever get married.

Prostitution

No.

It would be okay I suppose, there's a lot of prostitues around here, it'd be good if they could get protection, and get cared for. Being in a brothel which can have security is better than being out on the streets alone.

Disturbed.

More disturbed.

Lovers

Possibly.

Sex outside of marriage?
Nope. I think it should be saved for marriage alone.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:51 pm
Writersdomain says...

On Marriage

Hard question. I'd say around twenty three

I would have to have known the guy for a long time and love him; we'd have to get along, have the same values etc.

Cheat on him, intentionally hurt him

I haven't really thought about it.

Helping out at home, probably working.

How would you react with the possiblity of an arranged marriage?
I'd have a nervous breakdown; I can't imagine having to spend my entire life with someone I barely know.

Another nervous breakdown

I would feel very hurt and very angry; I can't imagine what that would be like...

Yeah

Right now, no, but that may change with age.

Is divorce an option?
A last resort - depends on the circumstances

If he was abusive, it would be an option, or if he cheated on me repeatedly.

I would definitely want them around; I would consider them like my own.

...the mother?
It would depend on the mother's attitude and her relationship with her children.

NO!

Prostitution

No.

Not much would change

I would be slightly disturbed, but I'd like to think that would not change our relationship.

Angry, hurt, betrayed. I'd feel like I was not good enough.

Lovers

Perhaps

Sex outside of marriage?
No
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:08 pm
Emerson says...

What age is a reasonable age for marriage? Somewhere past college age. Of course, for me, I'd like to spend my first years traveling rather than being tied down to some guys house. (Not that I'd ever be that way.) I'll probably get married around twenty eight, or thirty.

What events would have to happen before you would consider marriage? I'd have to trust the person a heck of a lot, but I have trust issues :lol:

What kinds of things would you NEVER do for your spouse? hmmm I'd never change my personality or drop friends. If he didn't like it--tough.

What kinds of roles would you see yourself doing within the marriage? Not bills. I don't do money xD I spend like wild. I'd cook more than clean. If the guy didn't clean, I'd bully him into it because I am not going to be some house maid. I'd also watch the kids, but I love kids, and plan to take off of work until they go into school. I don't think it's "right" to leave your kids at a daycare center while you work.

What kinds of roles would you see your spouse doing? Bills. But they wouldn't be the only one bringing in money, either. And they can help me clean house :-p

How would you react with the possibliity of an arranged marriage? I'd scream, and yell, and cry, and say, "no"

An arranged marriage with someone older than you? no, even creepier.

If your spouse cheated on you, how would you react? I'd probably freak out, terrible horribly bad, not want to see them, bawl my eyes out, and run to my nearest best friend with a tub of ice cream.

Would you be ashamed if you thought about cheating? Yes, but I'd probably think of it anyways.

Would you want any children? Yes.

Is divorce an option? No, simply because I'm a child of divorce, and it isn't healthy. I understand people can pretend to be someone until you marry them, but if life is going to be like that, I just won't marry.

Under what circumstances? N/A

If there was children from a previous marriage, how much would you want the children to be with you? I'd want to be with them, I wouldn't impose myself on them and be the parent, but I'd want to be their for them if they wanted me to be. I'd want to treat them kindly and let them know that I'm not going to take their father away from them.

...the mother? If she didn't try to kill me...?

Consider yourself at the age you are currently. Are you ready for marriage? hahahhahaha, no.

Would you support prostitution? No

What happened if prostitution became legalized by the government? there would be a lot of it in the USA

If you found out that your spouse used prostitution services before the marriage, how would you feel? I'd feel rather odd about it. It's just...strange. It would show their true...urges?

If you found out that your spouse continued using these services after you two were married, how would you feel? I'd feel worthless, and cheated, and would really not be happy with them.

Love outside of marriage? Love is an uncontrollable emotion, but you should really love the person you marry, to save this from happening.

Sex outside of marriage? hmm no. Though "open marriages" are odd things.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:09 pm
sanguine_dreams says...

Snoink wrote:On Marriage

Dang. 18?

I'd have to be absolutely certain about my feelings for the person. They'd have to propose to me properly. (Get on one knee, and say something that includes the words "I love you". Nothing else matters, but that's a MUST!)

Cooking (SOME) meals. Taking care of the kids. Working part-time. Doing most of the stuff having to do with homeschooling.

Whatever works. Hopefully cleaning, as I don't think I'd be any good at that!

Not too damn well!

Not gonna happen!

I'd be really mad at first. But I'd be all clingy-like and end up being the one begging for us to "try to work it out".

I would never cheat. Period. But I might think about once or twice in my lifetime. Thoughts don't count!

Yes, eventually. But I'd have to feel very secure in my relationship. I don't want my kids to grow up in a divorce situation like I did, or like my mom did, or her mom did, or...

Is divorce an option?

Depends. If I don't have kids, yes. If I do have kids, I need to seriously think about what would be a worse way for them to grow up.

See above, plus, it has to be something that CANNOT be solved through patience, discussion, cooperation, blah blah blah.

A lot. To me, being a parent would be the most important thing in my life.

...the mother?

I'll take this to mean "the other parent". This is not important to me if the parent is a dangerous person or otherwise potentially negative influence on the children's lives. Only if the kids specifically asked to be with the other parent would it be a huge issue with me.

Hell, no! (16)

Prostitution

Sure. I don't really care.

Lovers

Hmm? Do you mean, is love outside of marriage okay or is it okay for a married person to be in love with someone else? For the former, yes, for the latter, no, unless they have some kind of *arrangement* with the other spouse. ;)

Sex outside of marriage?

Pretty much the same answer as for the previous question.
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

The brain is wider than the sky.
— Emily Dickenson