z

Young Writers Society

How to write a stage play?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:46 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

This is kind of personal research more than anything. Are there any good links online about how to write stage plays, or plays in general? And the stage terms? This is even becoming a need as I read plays more often, for example, does L.C. mean Left Center? I have no idea!

I'm think of writing a stage play as part of my nanowrimo, or maybe just as part of a fun novel project,and I'd like to learn how to write stage plays before I get there so I'm not fumbling around.

And even better: any guides on how to write stories with JUST dialog? Seeing as that is how a stage play works, and mine will be meant to be read, not performed.

Thanks to all!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:10 am
Meep says...

This was all I found on the topic of writing stage plays, but it looks handy enough. I'd recommend at least skimming over a few plays, because I think the format is fairly standard, if not perfectly so.

I tried looking up stage directions, but for the life of me I can't find a glossary of terms or anything of the sort. I haven't the faintest clue what L.C. might stand for.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

2058 Reviews

Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:24 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

Thank Meep :-)

I've read several stage plays, so I've got that cleared out of the way. I'll have to take a look at the link...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:23 am
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

Ah, Proby, I am just the woman for this thing.

:D

LC = Left Center; it is a stage position. So if Marla was LC that would mean she would position on her left side of the stage, center.

Stage directions has to do with the actors on stage; actors move the opposite direction from how you see them. I gather you are trying to write a play, not a screenplay, as those are formated differently.

This is kind of hard for me to explain because I am such a kenesthetic person, but I'll try my best. And my best is a glossary... Any questions, ask.

There is a really great playwrighting glossary here: Playwriting 101: Glossary

Character names are always all caps, and are in the middle of the page (which I can't quite show here).

HUGO
If my Dad said we're moving just like that -

CHARLIE
You'd move. Hold this cone
(holds out the ice cream cone)
a sec?

Hope this helps, hon.
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:33 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

That does help, although I haven't seen it exactly as you explained it...

I've read many stage plays, and there are variations from time to time although nothing major. But never have a seen the names centered on the page. And yes, I'm trying to write a stage play, rather than a screenplay (otherwise known as a script, yes?)

Like in The Importance of Being Earnest the play is set up like so:

JACK: blah blah blah blah blah, I say!

ALGY: No, I say!(runs away)

Enter DOCTOR

Though mind you that isn't actually in the story anywhere :-)

So is the general format different each time? That makes this whole thing confusing.

Cal, if you write screen plays, by chance could you help me understand how to work a story so it goes with just dialog? This is something I may have trouble with.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:35 pm
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

Hmmm...

I don't think I've ever seen it formated how you show it in the example. But, I could be wrong.

About dialog > The best starting advice I have is to think of it as a conversation, or voice over/soliloquy. Omiting all description and movements. Or you can write a scene first, and then turn it into a play later. I've done that and it is a pretty good way to start. If you are interested in looking at a prime example check out the screenplay of Miller's Crossing (Fantastic movie, btw.) that is what were are using as a template for plays in Creative Writing.

I could see if I could compile some Playwriting/Screenplay Tips from the All-Knowing Skidsey and write a Soapbox thingie around it. Actually I think I'll do just that.

Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:30 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

I love you, Cal :-D

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:44 pm
View Likes
Sean Pendr says...

simple really alll you need to do is place discritpions in thoughts or speech and weave the events through action words...... i hope that helps have fun! :)
I do not want the first pithy lines that pop into your head. I'm not interested in that. I want plot, real characters, sharp dialogue. Plan, dream, live your story, then write it. Novel writing is not for the impulsive. ~Kitty15

2058 Reviews

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:45 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

I got a nice book on it, so hopefully I'll be writing some stage plays soon :-D Thanks everyone!

Reviews: 2
Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:50 am
View Likes
molly9009rae says...

I, personally have found that writing a sumary of your story (for for each act/scene) helps a lot.
Also, write a description of your set. Make it simple! Use only big furnature such as a couch, fridge, etc. Then add little details as you go along with your actual story sumary... like a telephone, etc/

Hope you do really good on your stage play!

2058 Reviews

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:52 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

Thanks :-) I'll have to try that for my first few works, maybe I'll have something to show off soon?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:36 am
View Likes
chocolatechipmuffin says...

Somewhat Random Question: Are you planning to do Nanowrimo's ScriptFrenzy in June?

http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
~Solomon Short

"We are all of us living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~Oscar Wilde

2058 Reviews

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:14 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

No I'm not actually, though I have been thinking about it.

Strangely enough, this does all end in Nanowrimo. Though I'm still...what, nine months away from November (?) I'm already working on plots. I have one story that I want to make as a combination of normal narrative, scripts for plays, musical lyrics, and other things. It's a book revolving around actors of a vaudeville theatre in the 20's or so. I thought it would be unique, and fun to do, but I'm starting to think it's not much Nano matterial; I'm not sure they'd except it exactly?

But perhaps I should go for scriptfrenzy? Thanks for the reminder :-)

2058 Reviews

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:14 am
Emerson says...

No I'm not actually, though I have been thinking about it.

Strangely enough, this does all end in Nanowrimo. Though I'm still...what, nine months away from November (?) I'm already working on plots. I have one story that I want to make as a combination of normal narrative, scripts for plays, musical lyrics, and other things. It's a book revolving around actors of a vaudeville theatre in the 20's or so. I thought it would be unique, and fun to do, but I'm starting to think it's not much Nano material; I'm not sure they'd except it exactly?

But perhaps I should go for scriptfrenzy? Thanks for the reminder :-)

Random avatar

Reviews: 32

You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh