z

Young Writers Society

Cherokee

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:52 pm
DancingRain says...

I'm working on a new novel where that the main character is Cherokee. So it would be very helpful if someone knew where I can find something on the language, area where they lived, beliefs, etc.

And any good name suggestions would be helpful too.

Try to stick with a readable color, thanks! -- Snoink
"but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo" Fred or George Weasley
*Formerly Tanis*

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:23 am
Snoink says...

What time period?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

9 Reviews

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:22 pm
DancingRain says...

Um I'm not good with time periods. About the time that the english sail over.
"but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo" Fred or George Weasley
*Formerly Tanis*

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:11 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

The following site has some good information, even every written letter in their alphabet. It also has links to other cherokee sites, books, and other links on the site that relate to the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee

In the future I would check wikipedia first when you research because they give you links to where you can find other information and they usually give out book titles that relate to the subject.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:04 pm
Fishr says...

Funnily enough, I'm partially Native American myself but I know nothing of the Cherokee, lol. How sad is that? My second great grandmother on my mom's side was a full blooded N.A. from Canada.

Anyway... I can ask my mom about her if you'd like but from what I hear, my grandmother passed away when my mom was about four... But who knows, maybe she'll rememer something. Though it won't be Cherokee related but perhaps body postures, faciel expressions, religion, etc., might be interesting to add onto your research, no?

This quote however caught my eye:

Um I'm not good with time periods. About the time that the english sail over.

Well..... :wink: This might be another subject then you should research because if you're referring when England sailed to the States for the VERY FIRST time, that can be traced as far back as the 1400's or earlier if my memory serves me right; way, way before the Pilgrims even set foot in the early 1600's...

Now, if you could give us an era or more importantly a time frame such as circa 16-1800's or what have you. But being a little more specific will help out tremendously.

Good luck.

EDIT:

Weren't the Chorekee victims of the Trail of Tears in the mid 1800's? I just had to ask, since the subject is about them. :P

Speaking of which, how are the Chorekee important to the story itself? Like what role are they to play in the plot? And do you have a date in mind? How far back are we talking? :D
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

9 Reviews

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:49 pm
DancingRain says...

Thanks Kitkat. I did check wikipedia before I posted but I wanted to see if anyone knew any good sites.

That's awesome Fishr. If you could ask your mom that would be great. I love learning about things like that and it would be very interesting for my research. As for the time period maybe somewhere during the 1600s would be helpful.

Yeah the Cherokee where victims of the trail of tears. I don't really have the whole plot played out yet but since my main character is Cherokee and would have to interact with her peers from her village I thought I should do a bit of research to make the story more real.
*Formerly Tanis*

9 Reviews

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:50 pm
DancingRain says...

Thanks Kitkat. I did check wikipedia before I posted but I wanted to see if anyone knew any good sites.

That's awesome Fishr. If you could ask your mom that would be great. I love learning about things like that and it would be very interesting for my research. As for the time period maybe somewhere during the 1600s would be helpful.

Yeah the Cherokee where victims of the trail of tears. I don't really have the whole plot played out yet but since my main character is Cherokee and would have to interact with her peers from her village I thought I should do a bit of research to make the story more real.
*Formerly Tanis*

365 Reviews

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:41 pm
Fishr says...

I'll try and ask her, for my benifit too. :D

When you say "somewhere" in the 1600's, are we talking early, mid or late?

And where is the setting taking place? I ask because Samuel de Champlain was the legendary French explorer that now has a lake that bears his name; the six largest after the Great Lakes. Champlain was b. circa 1567 snd d. on Dec. 25, 1635. He had relations with the native people - the Wyandot, who if I remember were at war with the Iroquois.

Are you deadset on the Cherokee? I ask because, from memory though I would have to research myself, not many were accepting of the N.A.'s, as you know. And depending on the plot, there are many N.A. nations that could work with the given date...

You know, the era you have in mind could be extreamly interesting for the history enthusiats if you research and plan well. It appears you might end up with a historical-fiction piece, rather than non-fiction. The other detail I would be most intrigued in reading would be the harsh treament this nation underwent in a realistic and captivating way, without excessive gore.

OR... Hehe... :twisted: ... You know, there was quite a rift between the natives of Massachusetts and the Pilgrims before the two reconsiled and agreed to assist one and another. That too would be a highly amusing subject as well, but that would elimate the Cherokee, I think anyway? I don't remember the Cherokee being native to Mass. Then again, I've been wrong before, lol!

And for the heck of it, lol, if the 1600's are not set in stone, how about the 1800's, with the Sioux? I THINK, but not absolutely sure, but I think the Civil War soldiers encountered them, and no, I'm not talking about Dances With Wolves. There was a Sioux uprising in 1862, which is a year before the war started. Makes you think, doesn't it?

How's you research coming along?
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

9 Reviews

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:32 pm
DancingRain says...

Wow. That really makes me think. Now I"m not sure what I really want to do. The cherokee sounded good at first but now I'm curious about the sioux uprising. Which happened if memory serves me well.

Oh well. I better get back to the outline and replan.
*Formerly Tanis*

365 Reviews

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:49 pm
Fishr says...

Well now, I didn't intend on changing your mind. ;) I was merely giving you options because of the intended era you were interested in - the 1600's. My forte is the 18th century but I'm no stranger to the 17th either.

The Souix uprising seemed to be interesting, though I honestly don't know much about it except the nation was large and had a couple of diffferent "branches" but all connected to each other.

But at any case, I'd stick to the subject in which most interests you. This way your attention will not be lost, thus you will not become bored eventually.

Best of luck, and I hoped I helped but not gave you a headache with all that thinking, lol! :)

9 Reviews

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:37 am
DancingRain says...

Nope surprisingly I didn't get any headaches from all the thinking. But now there are so many options. I've never done anything remotely close to historical fiction before but now it really interests me so I'm going to give it more than one try. And who knows maybe I'll do one on the sioux uprising too. It sounds eh interesting.

THanks for all the help guys. I feel like I'm on the right track with my research now.
*Formerly Tanis*

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi