z

Young Writers Society

Until vs till?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 am
Emerson says...

I've heard that 'until' is the proper word but in older classic books (EX: Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky) the word till (or do they spell it til?) is used. What is the difference, grammatically, and why is it that we now use until?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:24 am
Snoink says...

Until

Till

I see "until" as a better bridge word than "till," if that makes any sense...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:57 am
View Likes
Pushca says...

as far as teachers are concerned, tilling is what you do to a field.

i think that til isn't considered correct grammar anymore, and that until is just more modern. like sneaked and snuck. kinda.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:22 am
Phanzanu says...

The books say that "till" can be used in two ways: as a shortened form of "until" and as the "till" when you "till the land".

I still use "til" except I put an apostrophe before it to show that I'm using "until", but I'm not sure about its proper use back then.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:25 am
Snoink says...

Well... writing it as " 'til " isn't proper. The word "till" is still used rather frequently. But it also is a matter of what genre you have it in. If you have high fantasy, you can use the word since it has a more archaic sound, if that makes sense. ^_^;;

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:29 am
Phanzanu says...

Oh, it's not proper? But it's allowed, right? :(

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:44 am
Snoink says...

Hehe... if you submit it to the publishers and if it gets accepted, it'll probably be changed to "till" again. Or something like that. ;)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:09 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

Thanks for the clearing-up :-D
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

constant state of confuzzle
— Quillfeather