z

Young Writers Society

WWII - Creative Writing Class Fictional Piece

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:32 pm
Phanzanu says...

Yeaboi, my creative writing class is requiring a historical piece of sorts that's set during the WWII. The 2 main characters are already given. The problem? I don't know a thing about the WWII so I need some ideas. It's due next week and I've just started researching about WWII (all I know is that Hitler killed off the Jews and that Japan attacked Pearl harbor because of Cuba, blah blah blah... and that there were two sides: the Allied and the Axis). So, uhm... it's 10k words (good luck to me!) in 1 week.

Joy.

It doesn't necessarily involve the WWII (yay!) but people's lives at that time are bound to be related somehow to the war... damn.

So uh, the two main characters are Pavel Dvor (Russian, 35 years old) and Gavrail Taragon (Irish? 80 years old).

I was planning on Gavrail being a priest or a librarian or something like that. Anyway, it's Pavel Dvor I'm having problems with... What occupations can he have? A spy with a traumatic past or something?

So yeah, can I have some Russian and other European names that can be used as relatives and the like for my story? I don't really know much of them since I'm from the Phils... Oh yeah, what's with the -evich thing in Russian names and how does it work? I mean, I know it means something like "son of" so if I say [first name] Dvorevich [last name], then is that person the son of Dvor [last name]?

Thanks!

PS: I also need some suggestions for character profiles--the typical hair color, eye color, gait, fave food and drinks... the likes. It's hard to write about people who have culture different from what you have!

Thanks again!

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:27 am
Poor Imp says...

As to the question of Russian patronimyc (--vich ending): Traditional Russian middle name taken from the father. Alexei's father's name was Fyodor, and his surname is Karamazov, so--Alexei Fyodorovich Karamozov. Women have their father's name as well, only the end is --ovna. Aleksandra Levovna Melnikov. Clear enough?

What occupations can he have? A spy with a traumatic past or something?

Dvor could be dozens of things, naturally. He might be refugee/political asylum seeker, a dissenter from the Soviet regime. He could be a (former?) Soviet spy/KGB agent. He could be a former POW. He could be (along with refugee) a writer or composer.

Do you have a conflict for these two? An idea of how they end up crossing paths? (These questions are going to help with that, perhaps?)

So yeah, can I have some Russian and other European names that can be used as relatives and the like for my story? I don't really know much of them since I'm from the Phils...

Russian names? For women--Yelena, Irina, Katya, Agafya, Lyubov, Galina, Vasilissa. Men--[i]Ivan, Aleksander, Oleg, Igor, Mikhail, Fyodor, Lev...

I may be able to confer a bit more on the subject--but out of time for now. Anything more specific?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Random avatar

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:43 am
Phanzanu says...

Thanks for the help! I'm doing some researching on my own now, and I already acquired a History of the WWII book (and it's damn thick...).

I'm trying to focus on character development for them since I'm no expert in WWII. Dvor could be a farmer living with his mother and Taragon could be... something... and they end up helping each other to see what they couldn't see before.

Wait, what was Ireland's side during the WWII? Is Ireland against Russia? Or with Russia?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Pavel Dvor's father is Aloysha Vladik Dvor, so is his full name going to be "Pavel Aloyshavich Dvor" or "Pavel Aloyshovich Dvor"? The vowels confuse me.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:35 am
Poor Imp says...

syrith wrote:Thanks for the help! I'm doing some researching on my own now, and I already acquired a History of the WWII book (and it's damn thick...).

I'm trying to focus on character development for them since I'm no expert in WWII. Dvor could be a farmer living with his mother and Taragon could be... something... and they end up helping each other to see what they couldn't see before.

Wait, what was Ireland's side during the WWII? Is Ireland against Russia? Or with Russia?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Pavel Dvor's father is Aloysha Vladik Dvor, so is his full name going to be "Pavel Aloyshavich Dvor" or "Pavel Aloyshovich Dvor"? The vowels confuse me.

Well, if his father's name is "Alyosha"--that's a dimunative of "Alexei", rather like a nickname. In which case, Dvor's name would be Pavel Alexeyevich Dvor. ^_^

Ireland was with the Allies--and the Allies ended the war with an alliance with Russia. !_!
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Random avatar

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:56 am
Phanzanu says...

Well, if his father's name is "Alyosha"--that's a dimunative of "Alexei", rather like a nickname. In which case, Dvor's name would be Pavel Alexeyevich Dvor. ^_^

Ireland was with the Allies--and the Allies ended the war with an alliance with Russia. !_!

Oh. So you can have any kind of name for the father but his son's middle name is still the "real" name of his father plus -evich?

Thanks for the info!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:00 pm
Wiggy says...

Yup, that's pretty much it! :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:01 pm
Phanzanu says...

Thanks! I still accept--rather, beg for--suggestions, ideas, and whatever up until... I don't know... next week maybe?

Thanks! :D

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:39 am
Meep says...

I love WWII history. I can spend days watching History Channel documentaries and then weeks researching everything they talk about it. I'm such a geek, I can't help it.

I really like the idea of a spy with a traumatic past, providing that it's not really melodramatic. (I mean, if it's not presented in an overly melodramatic, pitying sort of way.)

That being said, I have not come without at least a small something - this is a great name site. I use it all of the time. (Actually, here's a direct link to Russian first & last names.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Random avatar

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:53 am
Phanzanu says...

Ohohoho... thanks!

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:22 pm
sabradan says...

well, TECHNICALLY Ireland was neutral. Northern Ireland (the part controlled by the UK) fought with the Allies, because they're considered British, but the other counties were neutral. THUS, I have a good idea:

Dvor could be a KGB agent sent to Ireland to spy for the Soviets, and perhaps try to contact Irish Communists to try to bring them into the war. He could somehow meet the old lady (Maybe she owns a boarding house and he boards with her) and she like has a son or something who one of two things can occur: 1. he is an Irish Communist and he works with Dvor, OR 2. Is an Irishman of another strain, and for one reason or another, he has to kill him. then your story could focus on how their relationship changes
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:41 am
Phanzanu says...

Hmm.. That can work, though I don't really want to focus too much on the WWII. I'm planning on focusing on their relationship as... normal people? Yeah. I mean, I can focus on how the war affects normal people 'cause I don't want to focus much on the military stuff... :(

Thanks!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:36 pm
Fishr says...

Well, I'm out of touch with WW2 as a whole but I do remember some on the Holocaust. So, if all else fails... ;)

Mentioning that, I'm gaining a small collection of WW2 weapons. So, if you want an idea of the weapontry used by the Germans, etc., I could post a few pics - Let me know. At least, if these chars enter the war, a somewhat of an idea of the melee weapons involved might be useful.

Also, my second uncle was a Veteran (a survivor) and I do remember fragments of at least how he acted when warfare was brought up or when he was watching "war movies." It's true on some levels - A single war can change someone forever.

EDIT:

Well, I figured since I'm already logged into PB, here are at least two pictures for you, from my personal collection. If you do use these pictures in your story, please ask permission before doing so. These are meant as a learning subject to help assist you.

Modelo Argentino 1909 (Wheyersberg Kirscrscum & Co - Solingen (Germany)

This is a bayonet used on the German Mauser rifle. These bayonets are stamped with a serial number, followed by a four-didget number. Collectors (not this is important) like to make sure that the serial numbers match the ricasso (blade) because this means they were never seperated during battle or otherwise. Anything else is concidered mismatched. Here's a link about the Modelo. Both my serial numbers are matched. :)
http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/arg1909.htm
There is, however, an earlier version, as you will notice.

The K98

The K98 bayonet was a modification of the already modified S84/98 bayonet that had been originally developed in 1915. Manufacture of this new modified bayonet began in 1934 with mass production beginning in 1936.The K98 bayonet was a standard issue item and was accompanied by a bayonet frog to be worn on the reverse left side of the weight bearing waist belt. The K98 bayonet remained the standard issue bayonet through-out the war with minor manufacturing variations. As the war continued the quality of the bayonets deteriorated and in mid-1944 most manufacturers discontinued producing the bayonet to concentrate on producing other essential war materials.

Link: http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H15655.html

To further exaplain, the "leather strap" is known as a frog, and originals seem to be hardly found on the sheath itself. Though there are serial numbers again - stamped - mine are unmatching, which is a shame but the original frog makes up for the loss, lol. These, the K98, if my memory serves me correctly, were also used the German Mauser rifles. Like the Medelo, there was an earlier version, with wood grips instead. It also good in noting that both these bayonets could possibly retain a "blueish" effect on the blade, from its original finish. It is very interesting and the reflection of a K98 carrying 80 or 90% of its original "blue" is quite stunning. Mine is badly worn from its previous owner that I only retain about 30%. Still, if you look closely, you might catch a glimpse from mine but the pictures might not show it as well.

And well, I'm out of batteries but I aquaried (yesturday actually), a fighting knife issue to US soldiers. So, I'll post a pic of my knife's twin, since I'm batteryless. I should also mention, as the picture shows, yes, I have the original sheath as well but it has three intials (sp). Apparently, it has gone through three known owners as the intials are all different. Interesting, no? ;) Mine, like the picture, is a RH PAL -36.

The Remington Cutlery Company was bought by the PAL Blade and Tool Company (Plattsburg, N.Y.) shortly before WWII. PAL continued with the Remington line, including marking the blade with the old Remington numbering identification - "RH" for Remington Hunting-followed by a model number. The RH-36 had a six-inch blade and the RH-37 had a seven-inch blade.

During WWII, PAL's entire production was military knives. Their USN Mark 1 was marked RH-35 and their USN Mark 2 was marked RH-37. The RH-36 is an interim type design with a 6-1/2 inch blade with a parkerized finish and a pinned aluminum butt cap. The handle is of the very common leather washer type and the knife's overall length is 11-1/24 inches. PAL also made their RH-37/USN Mark 2 with a USMC stamp as a fighting utility knife as well as producing the M-4 bayonet knife, the M-3 Trench knife, and M1 Garand rifle bayonets.

Link for more information if you'd like, but it probably won't help in your research. http://www.grunt.com/scuttlebutt/corps- ... knives.asp

Well, enjoy. The pictures I posted are ALL original weapons of the WW2 era, (though I'm not sure about the fixed blade (Remington) picture.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

[as a roleplayer is feeling sad about torturing her characters] GrandWild: "You're a writer, dear. Embrace it."
— GrandWild