z

Young Writers Society

New to Blogging

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun May 18, 2014 3:53 pm
MadamKroft says...

:smt024 I'm very interested in blogging and was wondering what people typically blog about. Can it be about anything? What would you want to know? Should it be long or should it be short or in-between? Helpful hints? Should it include a picture or would it be cool to include a picture? I'm still kind of new and getting use to the website, so I'm sorry to bother you all with my newbie issues. Hopefully I posted this topic in the right section of the forums! My apologies if I did not.
"Grammar is a skill that no person has mastered, but let those who have more knowledge provide assistance. If comprehension of your work is suffering, do not be afraid to ask for help in the aspect of how to present your details." -Madam Kroft

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun May 18, 2014 4:56 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

I think this is a fine place to ask that.

Yes, you can blog about anything. On here, I think most people blog about their lives in general, but there's a lot of people elsewhere who blog focusing on one specific topic they're interested in.

As for length, I'd say it depends, but an in-between length is usually good. I'm prone to long and rambling posts, which might have a hard time holding reader's attention. On the other hand, a too-short post might be too vague to really say anything interesting.

Pictures aren't required, but they can definitely add to a post. Make sure to put the image elsewhere online (e.g. Photobucket) if it isn't already, then use the [img ] [/img ] tags without spaces(spoiler tags are also a good idea for large images).

To share stuff on YWS, you can also use the People tab to share shorter statuses a la Facebook. Frankly, I think more people read those than the blog posts. To follow someone, simply go to their profile, then click "Follow username".

Happy blogging and YWSing! :)
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

9 Reviews

Sun May 18, 2014 5:31 pm
MadamKroft says...

@niteowl Thank you SO much! I really appreciate the reply. I'm a little confused about the spoiler image. Is it just to warn people about a big picture? Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for such detailed answers! :)
"Grammar is a skill that no person has mastered, but let those who have more knowledge provide assistance. If comprehension of your work is suffering, do not be afraid to ask for help in the aspect of how to present your details." -Madam Kroft

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun May 18, 2014 6:31 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Yeah, spoilers aren't really a rule, but on slower connections it can make the page easier to load.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon May 19, 2014 12:54 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

People blog all kinds of things for different reasons! Some people use it as an outlet to rant about their personal life or discuss what's going on privately with them, others use it as a way promote their new stories with teasers, some use it as a way to talk about their political views/opinions and some use it as a way to show off their art. It's entirely up to you when it comes to the content. It could be any of these plus a hundred more or a combination. Personally, my blog is a personal blog that sometimes has a dose of teasers for something I'm working on.

My advice is, experiment. Develop your blog into anything, but try everything. You seriously cannot go wrong.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

9 Reviews

Mon May 19, 2014 11:26 pm
MadamKroft says...

@niteowl I'm such a newb, how do you add a spoiler?
@SparkToFlame Thanks! I'll take your advice. :)

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Mon May 19, 2014 11:37 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

@MadamKroft
This is such a helpful post when it comes to learning about YWS. After a while, it become second nature, but it takes a while to get used to.
The Big Book of YWS Codes
It tells you there how to make a spoiler!
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

9 Reviews

Tue May 20, 2014 12:10 am
MadamKroft says...

@fortis THANK YOU! :D

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon