z

Young Writers Society

Can't choose which Novel to focus on . . . help?

Reviews: 3
Mon May 05, 2014 5:55 am
TashHill says...

I, like many other aspiring writers, have over a dozen plot ideas bussing around inside my head and would absolutely adore anyone who could help me choose which one to pursue first . . . metaphorical cookies shall be awarded to any who can help me out :)

Below are the draft blurbs/descriptions of some of my ideas:

Upon Icarus' Wings

Kįyän’s song was destined to be one of hellfire and brimstone, a melody so dark that the very foundation of Ävįdä would be set aflame. It was into ice that he was birthed; an Ĕlfįn child bred to incite a war so savage that man and beast alike would bow down before his terrible sovereignty.

The People of Ävįdä have no choice but to bear arms . . .

. . . and watch the world burn.

A Silent Cacophony

“I am a sickness,” I whispered to myself as I stared at my reflection. “I am a disgusting parody of God’s good work, a disease that can’t be cured.” The bathroom light flickered dismally as my words echoed around the small, dank, room and I flinched in response, was this God agreeing with me?

Nicolai O’Riley hates himself. He hates his attraction to men and his inability to change himself, but most of all he hates looking into his bathroom mirror and seeing a monster. For that’s what he was . . . gay . . . sick . . . an abomination.

After eighteen years of being loved by his family and his peers, it all changed overnight. Suddenly he went from The Nicolai of Holudule High to the gay freak who walked around with his head turned towards the floor. After losing everything, all he has left to him is his black guitar, an old collection of Shakespeare’s works . . . and his self-hatred.

It all changes when he meets a girl.

The girl who tries to teach him that love is still love . . . no matter its form.

A tale of friendship, prejudice, self-discovery and most importantly . . . Loyalty

Uhuru

Blood was the price for my freedom.

And it had been paid in full.

After sixteen years of iron-kissed wrists and the stinging lash of the whip against already scarred ebony skin, he is ready to embrace this newfound freedom. His eyes seek new sights – to see the places that his kin had spoken of before they were all slain before his horror stricken gaze. So he sets off, leaving the bloodstained plains of Africa behind and settling upon the sandy shores of Australia.

His journey is not one to be undertaken alone, but who are the two mysterious males that have decided to become his companions? The Primal Lion, the domesticated Iberian Lynx and the adolescent Fennec Fox; could it be that love and freedom walk hand in hand?

A journey that binds more than two souls . . .

So anyone have an opinion that I could use? Would be much appreciated.

Tash :D xx

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon May 05, 2014 5:16 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

I really like the sound of the first two! :)
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon May 05, 2014 11:27 pm
View Likes
WritingWolf says...

I really liked the first one. But that last one... I do not have a word to describe how much I want to read that book. Write it. It sounds absolutely amazing.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

Tue May 06, 2014 6:27 am
TashHill says...

Thank you both very much for replying so very quickly - and positively! I have actually decided to go with 'Upon Icarus Wings' as I have already fleshed out an initial attempt of their "language" and culture. Along with half a dozen different characters and plot twists.

Enjoy those metaphorical cookies!

Tash XX

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu May 08, 2014 10:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

Might I ask why you are using so many accents in the made up language?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Thu May 08, 2014 10:54 pm
TashHill says...

They are just the temporary mark I am using as I obviously can't put my own on Word in a neat way. Don't worry I know that they change the pronunciation. All vowels of the Avidian language (also temporary) will have similar markings.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 pm
Rosendorn says...

I was more wondering why they're there in the first place; fantasy languages tend to have a bad reputation of adding in unnecessary pronunciation marks in the name of making the languages look "exotic" when the punctuation really isn't needed.

If it is needed, has a pattern, and you're going to make it make sense, then by all means! It's just a caution.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Mon May 12, 2014 4:34 am
TashHill says...

I understand. There wil actually be no pronouciation marks when I actually start using a proper processor (other than word.) The letters will be written in a different script with more music like symbols. It will be a pattern, keeping with the vowel rule.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Wed May 21, 2014 11:36 pm
GoldFlame says...

The last one's a challenge. Your character's undergoing traumatic experiences. I say go for it! Torture, flashbacks, fulfilling your dream--readers drink that stuff up. It'll also help you hone your writing skills. You'll enjoy the liberty of playing around with his emotions. Although, it's tricky to pull off character development when the protagonist's personality's shaped by his past.

As for the first two, they're exciting but a little melodramatic for my taste. I'm also afraid that it'll be easy to fall into a maze of clichés. But whatever works best for you, of course! ;)
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare