z

Young Writers Society

Anyone know Italian? (Dante's Inferno project)

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:07 pm
Cole says...

For a final class project, I'm adding my own cantos to Dante's Inferno, all from the perspective of Beatrice, Dante's personal saint and divine guardian. I'm building on her character, using La Vita Nuova, Purgatorio and Paradiso as references.

I'm trying to come up with an Italian title for the project. I thought about leaving it at La Vita Nuova: The Trials of Beatrice, but "The New Life" (English translation of "La Vita Nuova") doesn't fit well with the concepts I'm working with, despite the fact that it has a profound connection to the personage of Beatrice. I thought about doing something like "Rise" or "She Rises" since, in order to seek Virgil to ask him to be Dante's guide, she had to rise up through all nine Circles of hell from the opposite side of the world.

So, what would be some Italian translations of "She Rises" or "Rise"?

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:22 am
Blues says...

I'm not sure if @Baal is still around but he's Italian so perhaps he could help?

When you say 'rise', is this in the context of ascend or perhaps like the sun rising?

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:35 am
Caesar says...

respectively ascende and ascesa, or like the sun rising, sorge and sorgere

that doesn't do the elegance of italian any form of justice though. It's somewhat clumsy.

From what I recall, does Beatrice not actually descend from heaven to purgatory?
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:22 pm
Cole says...

Blues, I mean something more along the lines of ascension.

Baal, I don't actually mind "Ascesa." What would "She Rises" be, using that word?

Also--

From what I recall, does Beatrice not actually descend from heaven to purgatory?

No. Let me show you how Dante mapped the afterlives in his Divine Comedy:

It's a little hard to see, but Beatrice's divine home in the Empyrean is on the opposite side of the universe from the opening of Hell. The bottom of Hell and the bottom of Mount Purgatory are connected by a passage cutting through the world. Virgil is in the First Circle, Limbo, so, Beatrice had to descend from Paradise, climb down Mount Purgatory, and then (due to the shift of gravity that Dante describes at the end of the lowermost Circle) she had to climb up through all Nine Circles of Inferno.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:04 pm
Caesar says...

it would be ascent, but also, because italian is funny, 'she has risen', indicating an action that has already been resolved.

and fair enough.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices; to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicions can destroy. A thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own.
— Rod Serling, Twilight Zone