z

Young Writers Society

Help with starting a story?

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:36 am
Rurouni says...

I've been meaning to make some short stories. And I want to write them, but I can't get beyond that awkward-starting stage. Either it makes the character seem insane (in one scene a character is depicted talking the sword that did some things to shape his past) and the way its started he is talking to the sword, but it makes him sound insane...

I've always wanted to start a story about someone just sort of going away with the wind, but I couldn't get past that starting stage...

Soo... Help?
Cookies!

25 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 25
Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:21 am
View Likes
Gringoamericano says...

This won't sound like very helpful advice, but just try to finish it. It's going to seem awkward and a bit terrible, but it's just the first draft. As Hemmingway once said, "The first draft of everything is [horrible]". The first draft is just there so you could get a general feel for what is supposed to happen on paper. The real magic comes with editing and changing around parts of the first draft until you're satisfied with the results.

It's like polishing a diamond. Have you ever seen what a diamond looks like when it is first dug up out of the ground? It looks terrible! Its true beauty emerges when it is cleaned up, and all of the extraneous material is cut off.
"Can't break an omelette without making a few eggs"

From the ashes of the old YWS Chat; it's the Unofficial YWS Discord server. Come join us!: https://discordapp.com/invite/UhSr7uW

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:14 am
View Likes
Laure says...

Ah, I see what you have there. You have what I call the starting sickness, is where you just seem to stay at the first sentence or worst, not writing it at all because is so awkward. That's what I am experiencing right now, I usually just write a super crappy draft of it and then start polishing, and in the process you will find ideas and perfection amidst the imperfect. Because no one can write a masterpiece on the first go.

So, take the plunge. You read your drafts, no one else will know. You could always talk to someone about these things. The YWSers are all very friendly.

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:17 pm
View Likes
OliveDreams says...

Um..hello!? How good does a talking sword sound?!
That is JUST my kind of story! And as far as the wind one goes…why aren't you already writing this?! There are SO many places you could take it!

Seems to me that you already have all the talent to see this through…you just need to confidence to FINISH!

I'm more than happy to look over your drafts!

Go on! Get on with them! :)
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:15 am
Rurouni says...

@OliveDreams Oh? Hehe... Alrighty then ^.^ Thank you....
Cookies!

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:25 pm
Tenyo says...

@Laure
'Starting Sickness', I love it!

I think everyone else has pretty much covered it here.

When we read a novel we begin at the beginning and end at the end, and then sometimes go back and re-read our favourite parts.

When we write a novel we begin with a skeleton and start adding flesh. Bones don't move on their own, and you'll never really know how efficiently they work until you see the muscles move them, and you won't know how they look until you stick on the final layer of skin.

Sorry, slightly gory metaphor =p But you get what I mean, right? You may start with an awkward slightly-crazy character, but you'll never know whether he'll come across like that when it's all finished, and if he does then that just makes him even more interesting.
We were born to be amazing.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:28 pm
Joe says...

Hey Shadow wings I have this problem a lot too. Sometimes I'll be doing fine for page or so and then stop because I realize it sucks. :? I'll bang my head on the wall screaming Image

Okay so on to the cure.

Start bleeding.

Not actually bleeding, just metaphorically. Write anything that comes to mind. I find this is easier to do by hand which brings me to my next point.

Write by hand. Try it for a bit see if it works or not. I always write my stories by hand first it makes it easier to understand the characters and the setting.

Hope this helps.

Joe Smoe

You must believe in free will; there is no choice.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer