z

Young Writers Society

vocabulary building

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:47 am
dhyan says...

What if I mark up all the words I know of and just make a list. Would that be helpful? Because those will be the words that work around me. That way I can just flip through them reminding me I should use these words. My problem is that I know the meaning of many words but they don't come up when it's time to write or speak.
Writing to change myself.

That will change the world.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:11 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

If you think that'll help, go for it! You do have to go through the process of learning new words in order to build vocabulary, and some people need a more direct method to learn new words. I wouldn't actively try to force them into conversations because that sounds, well, forced and awkward. People can tell when a word's wrong, or when you're just trying to be fancy. People often find trying to be fancy and trying to sound smart annoying.

Honestly, the best way to build vocabulary is to surround yourself with people and things with the vocabulary you want to have. If you want to sound like a philosopher, try to find the smartest people you know, attend philosophy events, and read philosophy books. The words and people you surround yourself with dictate your language.

Sometimes, vocabulary has to come from the outside and work its way in for your vocabulary to actually increase.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:44 pm
Monsters says...

The mind is an interesting thing. When you where a baby and on the journey to learn new words did you read a dictionary? Of coarse not; you couldn't.

What I can gather from this is that we are pre-wired to learn new words by being around people who speak. So the only modification when you wish to speak like someone else is to be around them, emerge yourself in their culture and listen to the words carefully. I wouldn't suggest the brute force method of reading the dictionary. If you did I doubt you be 100% conscious and learning anything all of the time. You would probably get to B and realize you are reading words that are mostly outdated, same the same thing or just awfully boring. here is what i would do;

1. Go on youtube (or read a book) and listen to someone who is rich in their vocabulary and don't write down words and look them up. You will start to find new ways in which they choose to say the things they really mean.

2. Once you find new words you like then you should think about how they pronounce them and if you don't know what they mean look up both the definition and examples. Sometimes you might not need too as the context speaks for itself but if you are ever on the edge about its meaning do a quick look. On google you can type "define; word_here" and you will get a quick definition.

3. When you try to use these words for the first time make sure they fit and don't use them because you want to seem smart. Use them when it will help you express what you want to say. Usually when you can do that effectively you already sound smart.

Random avatar

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:07 am
dhyan says...

The problem is that I don't have english speakers where I live. So it's kind of a problem. I can only read and write. Yeah, I guess I can watch videos on YouTube or something. But what about the words I already know how to use but don't use? Does his happen to everyone?

Random avatar

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:31 pm
dhyan says...

I have a list of 500 verbs all related to biology. And I know the meaning of them and have come across about 350. They seem to be common. Not that i know them because I read much but because I've come across them many times. Is this to say that these words exist in my vocabulary although i dont remember to use

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green