z

Young Writers Society

British Royalty

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:57 am
View Likes
Leja says...

So this isn't so much research for a specific topic as it is something I was wondering, the question generated from watching the movie "The Queen". Excuse me if I get things completely and utterly muddled up.

So in the movie, at least, the queen is the queen because she's the closest in blood to the last reigning monarch... I think?... but her husband is not the king because he married into the family... again, I think?...

Then my question was if there ever comes a point when there is a king and a queen at the same time? Or would that only occur if cousins intermarried?

Could someone (preferably but not necessarily) British please help me clear this up?

Thank you.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:54 am
View Likes
Teague says...

I don't know for sure, but the only thing I can imagine is that there would only be a king and a queen if the king was the one descended from the royal bloodline and the queen was the one who married into it.

It's just a hypothesis.

I know I'm not much help. >.<
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:32 am
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

AmeliaOliver wrote:So in the movie, at least, the queen is the queen because she's the closest in blood to the last reigning monarch... I think?... but her husband is not the king because he married into the family... again, I think?...

Yes, you are correct. There are actually two different Queen-terms.

Queen Regnant - A female monarch who possesses all the powers that a king would have.

Queen Consort - Wife of a king. They keep their husbands' rank and hold the name titles, but have no real power.

They same goes for Kings as well, there are Kings Regnant and Kings Consort.

I believe, but I may be not correct, that Prince Philip remains Prince because he married Queen Elizabeth when she was still a Princess.

Hope this helps. Ta.
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:39 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Ah, an interesting topic. Cal is right. Prince Philip married Elizabeth before she took the throne so he could not claim the title of king. If he had married her after she became queen, he would be king consort but instead he is prince consort, also referred to as the consort of the Queen. Wikipedia gives some interesting information on him - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Phi ... _Edinburgh
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:10 pm
View Likes
Cpt. Smurf says...

This is slightly confusing, but here we go... *breaths*

When a princess is the heir to the throne, she becomes queen, but her husband (whether they get married before or after she becomes queen), who is known as the consort, is a prince.

However, if a prince is the heir to the throne (as Prince Charles is now), he will become king, and his wife/consort should become queen (there are a few issues surrounding Camilla becoming queen, but technically, she should be queen).

The Prince Consort used to be King Consort, but, as a Queen Regnant is of a higher rank than her husband, but a king is usually of a higher rank than a queen, so the term Prince Consort is used instead. There hasn't been a King Consort since Mary I was queen of England in the 1500s, so it doesn't make a difference whether the Prince Consort marries the monarch before or after she is crowned, he is always a prince (just to correct kitty and Cal :P).

King Consort

So, yeah, that's about it.
Last edited by Cpt. Smurf on Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:21 pm
View Likes
tinny says...

I think Kazsmurf's got it bang on ^^
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:56 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

In fact, if you read that wikipedia article on King Consort carefully, Prince Philip has never even been made Prince Consort.

So, basically, there's no expectation/right for the Queen or King's partner to have any title.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

816 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:22 pm
View Likes
Leja says...

This is slightly confusing, but here we go... *breaths*

I'll say! By the way, thanks for your help, everyone!

However, if a prince is the heir to the throne (as Prince Charles is now), he will become king, and his wife/consort should become queen (there are a few issues surrounding Camilla becoming queen, but technically, she should be queen).

So the only time there are monarchs with the titles of King and Queen at the same time is if the two are married before they inherit the throne?

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:28 pm
View Likes
Imelda says...

Last edited by Imelda on Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

816 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:29 pm
View Likes
Leja says...

okie doke. Thanks for clarifying, Imelda

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
— John Cage