z

Young Writers Society

Fighting the edge of sorrow

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:19 am
hudz96 says...

The full blast of light surrounded me, and encased my mind in its everlasting glare. My thoughts threw themselves against the blinding light but were throw back uselessly, like the delicate wings of a butterfly trapped against a glass jar.
Humiliated and shamed, I back down curling inside myself.

Such purity and innocence is beyond my comprehension. Yet such depth and rich significance held in the eyes of no human, yet a much wiser form.
Retreating back into my mind, I paused to think.

Who places every gleaming dew drop upon the earth?

Who gives me strength to go forward when I long to go back?

Who gave me a life to live, be it a poor one, or rich one?

Who gave me a mind, body, and soul of my own?

I breathed out softly, sensing the cold air around me stir. At least I could feel, hear, smell, see, and taste. Gently my eye lids opened letting my surroundings blast me with its beauty slowly… bit by bit one step at a time.

The birds twittering song notes weaved through the sad mournful song, which played in my very soul for as long as I remember, like a bright crimson red colored ribbon gently rippling in the dark making its way to the heart of matters.

Deeply inhaling the scent of the rich dark brown soil, I gathered the strength I found in the familiar ever same dirt I was molded from. The energy extracted from the trees and soil was similar except the soil radiated knowledge and wisdom coming from the dawn of time. The humming of the sap of the very life of the trees surrounded me in echoing harmony of my new found strength.

Two new ribbons weaved itself beside the red… this time it was the color of the lush green moss that protects the aging forest with its protective layer, and the other, was the deepest and richest color of the soil kissed by the early sun drenched dew drops.

I can hear and appreciate the different languages, which are spoken in my ears. The words that create images and stories through their words show me how it is to see life from another’s eyes.

I can see with the eyes that I have been given, and I am not deprived of its use. I can take in the beauty of the world I am placed on. I can see the delicate face of the river ripple with the slightest change. I have the sight so that I may see the daily things that make me happy, seeing the face of my children surrounding me, being able to witness the glowing smile of my wife which warms my very soul.

I am granted the ability to smell. I am able to differentiate the scent of each season as they come and go.
The waft of the chilly pure breeze early in the morning, that is forever unfailing to beckon me outside to play, or the scent of pollen drifting through my window in the afternoon sunlight teasing and daunting me, knowing that its presence is valuable and pleasant to me.

So I have nothing to be ungrateful for, even if I was not provided with a voice of my own. God has shown me the world from different eyes and indeed I am grateful. Ever so slowly I felt the notes of sorrow that was deeply etched across my essence fade away… so this is what it’s like… to believe in God and be in complete and utter peace, I think I rather like it, don’t you?
Don’t let your victories go to your head, or your failures go to your heart.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:44 pm
starrgazer says...

w.o.w. This just left me breathless. The pictures you painted were really vivid and gave off a surreal, kind of dream like feeling. Personally, its very well written, but sometimes, I just get confused. For example, parts like the paragraph with something about a ribbon, were a bit vague. Perhaps you were just going for that effect though :P Anyways, keep up the good work!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

Pffffft, yeah right...fat lot of help sour lemon juice would do. When life also throws me a bag of sugar, then we'll start talking.

:)

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:51 pm
Taxi says...

Hey Hudz. Good job on this piece! I like it a lot. ^_^ It did a great job of capturing my imagination the whole way through, and its message is implemented well. The only criticism I have is for a few cases of repeating the same word too often. For instance:

Two new ribbons weaved itself beside the red… this time it was the color of the lush green moss that protects the aging forest with its protective layer,

The words that create images and stories through their words show me how it is to see life from another’s eyes.

I'd recommend changing those up a bit. Oh, and one other small thing.

Ever so slowly I felt the notes of sorrow that was deeply etched across my essence fade away…

It should be "notes of sorrow that were deepy etched across my essence," I believe.

Anyway, bravo on this wonderful piece! I actually enjoyed it so much that I felt compelled to read it a second time. :D

I can factcheck ur flashback outfits
— SirenCymbaline