z

Young Writers Society

Beauty's Beholder

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:57 pm
AylaStarr says...

She’s a beautiful thing, The Lady.

She grabs me, and suddenly I’m screaming. Higher, higher, jumping off a tree, landing in a pile of clouds. Have I always screamed this loud?

Round and round and round, I have no idea where up is. Everything’s nothing and nothing is everything. And me? I am the epitome of everything and nothingness living in euphoria.

Scream.

I’m still screaming, but not aloud.

The grass below me is itchy. I scratch, but the itch doesn’t go away.

Itch, itch, itch. Scratch, scratch, scratch. Is that a bug on my arm? And is it raining?

I feel my face, and realize I’m crying. When did I start crying? Am I even sad? At first, I’m not sure how I feel. Then, I turn onto my back, and start wailing. Loud, breaking sobs, snot running out my nose, and the feeling of a thousand shards falling onto me, into me.

Isn’t crying another way to scream?

“You’re really fucked up.”

I look up. Brown eyes, skin tinted with Native American roots, and a slouching posture. I wonder for a second if he’s real.

“Are you Jesus?” I ask.

He sits next to me. “Nah, Noah. You know. The guy with the ark?”

“I’ve heard of him.” My voice is hoarse, soft. Hair falls into my eyes, but I don’t feel like brushing it away. Noah does it for me.

“Did you know Jesus?”

“Mmhmm.” His fingers play with my hair. I lay on his shoulder.

“Did you talk to him?”

“Plenty of times.”

“What’d he say?” I feel drunk, but I know I’m not.

“He said you’re really, really fucked up.”

My heart. It hurts like hell. “I…I’m sorry.” My voice breaks again. It’s all I can say.

It’s one a.m. when I realize I need her again. I crave her sweetness, her love. Her disease.

Like a divine goddess, she comes out decked in white, and together we dance. Faster and faster, until I fall down with laughter and a hurting chest.

I wonder briefly if she speaks French. I’ve always loved French.

“Speak to me!” I command.

No one answers. I go to the oak tree and climb. “Fucking speak to me!” I shout.

Nothing.

I jump down, and run. Run to where I’m not alone.

I’m not alone, but I’m alone.

Noah’s on the other side of the window. I keep hitting the glass, shouting at him to let me in, please let me in, but he just looks at me. Or maybe through me.

My head is hurting, and I just want to be where Noah is. I hit the glass again, and scream. Scream until my voice is nearly gone. It starts to rain, just a little bit.

He just stares, and The Lady keeps dancing.

It’s pouring when he finally opens the window.

“Shit,” he mutters.

I’m wet and crying and dizzy as he pulls me inside.

“Fucking shit.” He runs to get me a towel. I stand still, tears and water streaming down my face. I wonder where The Lady went.

Noah runs back, slipping on a puddle of water, and wraps a towel around me. I realize I’m shivering.

“Fucking dumbass shit,” he whispers. He pulls me close. I know I’m messing up his shirt. “What the fuck is wrong with you?”

I want to answer him—I want to tell him everything. How everything’s falling apart. How I’m one failing grade away from flunking. How I broke a mirror. How I still feel semen inside of me. How I can’t let go of The Lady. But I say nothing, and let the hole in my chest grow larger.

I cling to him tightly and cry.

Cry until The Lady stops dancing.

I’m sorry, I keep saying. Over and over again, I say it into his bare shoulder.

We’re getting tangled in his blankets—deeper and deeper—legs overlapping and arms twisting. Twisting, twisted, twisting, twist. I open myself to him. He delves deeper.

Sweating, his forehead touches mine. “Never again, okay?” His voice is breathy, soft. “Please don’t do it again.”

He pushes hard, and I cry out. I wrap myself around him. He wraps around me. We are one. I wonder if The Lady is jealous. At this moment, I don’t need her. I wonder if I ever did.

More and more, I cling to Noah.

“Never again…” I say.

A promise has been made.

He’s a beautiful thing.

He grabs me, and suddenly I’m laughing. I don’t know why, or how, but it erupts from me like a fountain, bubbling over. Have I always laughed this loud?

Round and round, we spin. Up, down, left, right—it all collides until it becomes a mesh that equals both nothing and everything.

A part of me craves The Lady. Her happiness. Another part wishes I’d never met her. I know I can’t take the years back. Chances are, I’ll see her again soon.

But I know for today, I’ll just keep spinning.

Spinning until I fall from something that feels like happiness.

A/N: This is what insomnia does to me.
Last edited by AylaStarr on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:03 pm
catchingwave says...

Omg this is so crazy! In a way, I like that. It's so random and weird and strange and a whole list of other words that won't come to mind right now. It really, REALLY reminds me of Salvador Dali's Destino , I think you should check it out if you haven't already. :)
I don't have as much to say about the grammar and punctuation as I do about the main theme and what your piece was actually about. I read it all the way to the end and I absolutely LOVE how you've ended it.
...This is what insomnia does to me.

...seriously AWESOME! :D

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:24 pm
View Likes
AylaStarr says...

Haha, actually, that last line wasn't part of the story, just a side comment/author's note. I should probably fix that... :p

But thank you! I haven't read that work before, but now I'm curious.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:43 pm
View Likes
TinyDancer says...

Hello :) Just here to return the favor for the review you gave me on Inferno.
I was totally lost throughout the whole thing, but I could really see the beauty of your writing. If you were to organize it a bit better, I think it would be awesome. You have gorgeous imagery, and I also think the flow is nice too. It's just that none of it makes sense to me. Maybe that's your point though. Either way, you have my opinion. You write very well despite the random craziness! When I have more time, I will check out some of your other pieces!

~Jess
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there,
When yesterday it was not.”

`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:57 pm
View Likes
xDudettex says...

Hey Ayla!

I have to agree with the other reviewers and say that you have wonderful imagery in this piece.

You have just enough subtlety in this piece to make it great. Anymore and I would have been left confused and wondering what's going on. You gave me enough clues to grasp what was happening.

Like a divine goddess, she comes out decked in white, and together we dance.

This is the line that tipped me off that 'The Lady' was a drug. I think it was a clever way to convey what you were referring to without making it too obvious. Subtlety is a great theme in this piece.

I do feel a little confused about the Noah guy though. I get he was just kidding around about the ark and stuff, keeping her Jesus question Bible related, but the only solution I can see to why he picked Noah is that he's actually called Noah and he was just playing along to her drug fuelled rant. If I'm not seeing something then I guess it would be better if you cleared it up for the reader by adding in what the scene really means.

That small query aside, I think this was good for something that was born out of insomnia. I seem to like stories that make me work to see what's really going on.

Any questions, scribble on my wall :)

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

I could literally be Obama and you guys would never know.
— AilahEvelynMae