z

Young Writers Society

De-Cornification, please?

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:40 am
lxtmidnight says...

Here's the thing: I have finished my novel (FINALLY), and right now I am editting, but there's this one part that is extremely corny/cheesy...maybe not so much the writting, but the concept (OK, maybe the writting is very cheesy in places -__-) By that I mean the whole part about the storm...Can someone help me de-cornify it please? XD

THE ACTUAL STORY BEGINS IN 5, 4, 3, 2.....

Just kidding.

Upon my homecoming two years later to YWS, I'm getting rid of all the embarrassing writing I once thought was good. This is one of the main things

XD

END OF EXCERPT

*author gags in mouth*

EDIT: I think you might get more help in the fiction forum, so I moved this -- Mod
Last edited by lxtmidnight on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:51 pm
Sam says...

Hey, lxtmidnight!

Congrats on finishing the novel! That's definitely the hardest part. XD Editing is a pain, but it's a lot easier than putting fresh words on paper, and can be done when you're tired out of your mind. I'll keep this short, though, because I want the chance to read this novel eventually. ^_~

I think the main thing that is dragging you into Iowa with this piece is the fact that you use language and lines that are ripped from television. Examples?

What,” she began, voice lethal, low as a snake in the grass, “do you have to say for yourself?”

- Usually, a parent doesn't ask what you were doing, especially if it was something stupid. They don't really want to hear why, they just want to make sure you never do it again.

Why did you leave this house when I told you specifically to stay?” Her voice was rising, swiftly approaching a shout. “Why did you go against my only wish? Why do you feel the need to do this to me, time and time again? Why Evelle, why?!”

The "don't leave the house!" thing is a bit clichéd. You can keep it in there if it's important to the plot, but then you need to change around your approach. As I mentioned with the last example, a parent who is freaked out doesn't want an answer, they just want to fuss over the kid because they are glad their child is not dead.

“Is that really such a crime?”

Apparently it is, sweetheart. When characters are upset, they're not very eloquent. Keep the dialogue to the Neanderthal level, or stay quiet and brooding.

“You were just a little girl.”

This is something that you're need to rip up a little because it occurs in every fantasy/disaster story known to mankind. Think of this thing kind of like the infamous Sex Talk. It's something that parents eventually need to explain to their children, but is really awkward and they're not certain how their children will react. Thus, the moment needs to have a little bit of purpose and planning, and not just "spilling". Spilling would imply that the mother has wanted to tell the story all along, which would completely negate all of the secrecy and flitting around that has just taken place.

__

Cool excerpt, lxtmidnight! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. ^_^
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:14 pm
lxtmidnight says...

Wow, thanks! There was a lot of valuable advice in there, especially the part whole "You were just a little girl" thing, which I will change IMMEDIATELY, because cliché and I don't get along all that well.

Thanks again, I appreciate all the help I can get =]
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.
-Cyril Connolly

Thou call'dst me a dog before thou hadst cause. But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs.
— Shylock, The Merchant of Venice