Young Writers Society

Labyrinth Reports [8]

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:36 am
View Likes
Rook says...

Hey guys, the old thread was getting pretty full so I moved it to the archive.

Starting off as usual with a short explanation of what this thread is for the uninitiated.

When a mod "retires" that's just code for them moving on to participate in YWS's greater purpose: Exploration of the labyrinth.

For those who are unaware, YWS's server is located in an obscure location that is revealed only on a need to know basis. Underneath the building that houses the server is the entrance to a huge, underground labyrinth. YWS has always been a training ground for labyrinth explorers. There are great secrets hidden under there, but it takes weeks, months, and even years to find them and come back with the spoils. This is why so many retired mods are gone for such long stretches at a time.

The purpose of this thread is for retired mods to report on their findings.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

621 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:42 am
View Likes
Rook says...

And starting us off with my somewhat weekly report on the poetry spiders that live on the first floor.
They've begun another poem after a rogue punctuation bat flew through and destroyed the sestina. I can't tell if they're going for a particular form yet this time, but I have already translated the first couple words:

DWELL THERE IN [or potentially therein] SOME SILENT PLACE

I'll be monitoring their progress over the next couple months.

And before anyone asks, the search for freakforchrist continues as always. They are the example of why we don't let regular members down there. I know that's an idea tgat always gets brought up in these threads but the answer is always no. It's too risky, both for the member and for the secrecy of the operation.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:20 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

A new thread so quickly? Goodness, I remember when we were at Thread 3...

So, just reporting that this weekend, I decided to start working on that side entrance that the old Storybooks Crew veterans tried opening up years ago (I wonder where they all went...)

It's pretty well boarded up, and there is a rough painting of what seems to be a cow on the side of the makeshift entrance. It's a lot trying to dig through the archives, but did anyone of the old guard let a certain YWS member who was a cow venture into the labyrinth?

I'm also seeing records of what was the Roleplay Realm used to be, so this was certainly an entrance long ago. There are hints about a Tavern and Sanctum? Words lost to time, most likely.

Anyway, updating here to say that I've gotten most of the boards off the entrance and I'm starting to hear hissing from the other side. Will update when I have more information.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:33 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Honestly, you got my respect... as soon as I found the coffee shop with free wifi, I decided that I didn't need to keep mapping, lol.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

621 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:55 am
View Likes
Rook says...

Hey guys, back from the labyrinth with an update on the spiders. They've added another 2 wordS already! Looks like they're speeding through this poem. Now it reads:
DWELL THERE IN SOME SILENT PLACE
LET NOT

pretty neat right? I'm excited to see how it will continue.

In other news, We've started leaving meat out on the 30th floor to try to lure the dragon towards the hoarde we've collected over the years. Nothing better than a dragon for keeping valuables safe! Once we get the dragon in there, as long as we keep it appeased, it should have no trouble keeping the marauding orcs and theiving goblins from taking our treasures back to their own nasty hideouts. Dragons are very sanitary and, while it may be a little tricky to access the items in the hoarde, at least we know where they all are. Plus there's a DM who swears they have a magic flute that can put the dragon to sleep. We haven't tested it yet though. Gotta find the dragon first.

Anyway all of this is to say, once we get the dragon in, don't expect the same quick turnaround on delivery of particular items from the hoarde. We actually are pausing the treasure checkout for the time being. But we all talked at length about this solution and trust me, it's the right decision long-term.

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:01 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

@Rook I'm quite invested in the spiders' poem. I wonder if they'll finish it up by the end of NaPo?? That would be thrilling. Please keep us posted :3
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

621 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:47 am
View Likes
Rook says...

Guys, I don't have a lot of time for an update this week. The dragon situation is BAD. The spiders are chill though. Anyway I HAVE TO GO.

You have been de-shenaniganed.
— WaffleCat