z

Young Writers Society

Suggestions for Site Improvements to Boost Membership <.<

1228 Reviews

Reviews: 1228
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:29 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hey, things have been getting a little heated in the mod forums lately and I thought it'd be nice to take a breather from some of these personal arguments and pool together our brains for something we can all agree on - boosting site membership!

YWS has been in a positive upward trend ever since the registration system got fixed but what are other things we might implement to generate enthusiasm, writing-prowess, and membership interest?

(PS let's keep all the personal attacks to a MINIMUM please!)

Feel free to share your best and brightest ideas below! Obviously all big ideas will need Nate / Admin approval, but at least we can do some brainstorming here!

> One idea I had was YWS could really use a fresh coat of paint - the blue feels stale and very 2010's era doesn't it? What about upgrading the default background to dark cyan?
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:12 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Maybe a sky blue with birds flying in the background?? I think it would be pretty...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1228 Reviews

Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:21 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

That would be so gorgeous! And honestly at this point with so much division -_- it might be nice to unite all the bird folks into getting a lovely new background too. Awesome idea Snoink!

---

Another idea I've had... and PLEASE KNOW I am NOT trying to call anyone out here - but do you think that new members get kinda confused by everyone switching usernames every other week? Is that really necessary? I can imagine as a new member that would be super super hard to keep all these usernames clear- > what if we just made people go back to the username they registered with and be done with it, and if they want to "change things up" maybe they can add a number to their username like "alliyah1". Maybe this wouldn't have to apply to everyone but at least with the people who've done like 5+ name changes?

@tatteredbones -> would be 269609
@Mageheart -> would be TheLearningWriter
@Omni -> would be omniyus
@JustPerks -> would be PerksOfBeingAReader

What do we think? Might help my old brain in remembering what everyone's username is!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:33 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

OMG. I just realized who you guys are. *whacks head*

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Changes are good and healthy for the site, including name changes! Perhaps to combat this, we could include a memory test annually for some of our... ahem, elderly members? Maybe we can keep the Young in Young Writers Society that way.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:27 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

This is most definitely NOT a personal attack, @Omni, but I'd be remiss not to point out that you are of the elderly generation.

Anyway. That aside. I do think we should workshop the whole username system, but I'd suggest taking a different approach than you do alliyah. I think all the mods' usernames should just be changed to Bob. That way, new users will never have to worry who the mods are when they need help! And I mean honestly, if you've talked to one of us you've talked to us all.
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:29 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

That's true, I am of the elderly, but I can remember my username just fine :triumph:
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:49 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

@lliyah I actually was considering returning to my original username, if I ever returned to being a Global Moderator aha. I was rather proud of that name :p

(And now that I mention that, I forgot about your own name change!)
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:23 am
View Likes
fatherfig says...

I love you alliyah but I dislike this idea as a whole~

In fact if we were to do something like this we might as well be named mod1 mod2 mod3 etc. If someone is confused contacting the mod in question and asking their name or going to the username change thread has always worked in the past. I quite like the flexibility of changing my name and would go crazy keeping the same one :p .

lliyah wrote:That would be so gorgeous! And honestly at this point with so much division -_- it might be nice to unite all the bird folks into getting a lovely new background too. Awesome idea Snoink!

---

Another idea I've had... and PLEASE KNOW I am NOT trying to call anyone out here - but do you think that new members get kinda confused by everyone switching usernames every other week? Is that really necessary? I can imagine as a new member that would be super super hard to keep all these usernames clear- > what if we just made people go back to the username they registered with and be done with it, and if they want to "change things up" maybe they can add a number to their username like "alliyah1". Maybe this wouldn't have to apply to everyone but at least with the people who've done like 5+ name changes?

What do we think? Might help my old brain in remembering what everyone's username is!
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:35 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

NO. NO MORE NAME CHANGES. y'all. honestly.

also no you may not change things to dark cyan stop asking.

and no chickens, either.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:34 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

and no chickens, either.

Finally, something I can get on board with.

1228 Reviews

Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:58 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

@Omni wrote:we could include a memory test annually for some of our... ahem, elderly members? Maybe we can keep the Young in Young Writers Society that way.

Omniyus. you are treading on VERY thin ice with that comment. <.<

A reminder - NO PERSONAL ATTACKS. @_@

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:14 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

I, personally, would not mind being called Bob3 or Bob19... as long as I get to change my username color to mint green. Here's an idea: what if, instead of changing our usernames, we changed our username colors instead? c: Everyone knows having lots of colors makes a place look livelier... Maybe we could even do gradients >.>
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:28 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Meshugenah wrote:NO. NO MORE NAME CHANGES. y'all. honestly.

and no chickens, either.

Penguins then...

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:18 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Snoink wrote:
Meshugenah wrote:NO. NO MORE NAME CHANGES. y'all. honestly.

and no chickens, either.

Penguins then...

Only if it's @PenguinAttack.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.
— Madeleine L'Engle, Author