z

Young Writers Society

Camp NaNo April '24: RedMoon Night December

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:18 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Sounds like a cool idea Amaya!! Love how much work and thought you've put into this before camp even starts! Best of luck to you <3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

226 Reviews

Reviews: 226
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:27 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham says...

Thanks a lot @Carlito ! You inspire me, I love the dedication you put into your novels and just your commitment and patience. <3

226 Reviews

Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:19 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham says...

Chapter 1| (Needs a title yet) Now

You could hear the sound of children's shoes shuffling on the sand, the distant ringing of a bell echoed through the air, coming from the school. Some of the boys carried their backpacks over their left shoulders and walked their bikes to the corner of the street to get on and go home. Gossip could be heard from the moment the girls stepped out of the schoolyard.

After half an hour of patient anticipation, the parents finally opened the doors with warm smiles as their children came in. Voices full of eagerness and curiosity asked, 'Did you have a good day at school?’

With a cheerful wave ‘Bye Kiara’, the brunette's hand sliced through the air. Her fingers caught a brief glimpse of the sun as she adjusted her black glasses, pulling them higher on her face. A radiant smile adorned her lips, unaffected by the traces of mascara that drew delicate lines across her cheeks. The beads of sweat on her forehead added a touch of shimmer to her determined expression.

Kiara looked back at the brunette and smiled, her beautiful hazel eyes radiating kindness. Her hand shot up, ‘Take care Ausha, I'll see you tomorrow.’ As her footsteps headed towards the footpath, her grey skirt and blonde brownish ponytail danced in the wind behind her back.

Kiara held three heavy books in her left hand as she waved at Ausha with her other hand dragging her pink shirt up with her revealing the leather belt which kept her grey skirt tight around her waist. As she walked along the footpath, she was joined by a boy wearing the same kind of grey, but trousers. He had his rucksack slung over one arm and the other around her shoulder.

"What's up, sis?" He says, "Anything interesting happened today?"

"Hey Chris. No, what about you? Wait, you didn't get in a fight again did you," she asks.

"No, of course not. I can handle myself, sis. About the news, Darius did say something interesting about Werewolves today." he says.

This news seemed to pique Kiara's interest, "Oh really? What was it then?"

They waited for the little kids to pass then and then, Chris said, "When in human form, werewolves look and act like any normal human being, although they usually appear to be ill around nights when there is a full moon. In most modern portrayals, the only cure for stopping a transformation of a werewolf is a silver bullet. But sometimes, potions, medicines or rituals can keep it under control. Werewolves cannot control their changes. They might be able to direct who they kill, but they can't start and stop the transformations at will."

Kiara listened carefully to everything Chris said and then said, "Okay, that's a good thing. Remember when Natasha made us read Werewolves At Will. In that book they also explained the same thing, but they didn't say anything on how to keep it under control. They only explained how the werewolves transformed, when it happens, what happens when they mate and also their problems with vampires."

Chris nodded and stroked with his hand his hair, "True, but you should not forget the holy water ritual which can also burn their flesh right. We should take notes and stick them in the book."

Kiara looked around and saw children running up to their parents, getting hugged and kissed. She sighed and removed her gaze from them. "What's going on sis, you seem a little off." Chris remarked, scanning his sister's face for answers.

"Nothing, it's just that…" Kiara was answering when a girl interrupted her.

"Hey there, Cumming family." She ran to them and started walking with them.

"Aliva, I thought your dad came to pick you up." Chris said to her rather hesitantly as he bowed down to tie his shoelace.

Aliva squinted her eyes and looked at him, "I know why you are saying that." She puts her hands, on which she wore white gloves, on her hips and says, "You didn't tell her now did you Chrissy,"

Chris his eyes shot up, "Don't you dare."

"Too late, Chrissy." Aliva says her eyes twinkling mischievous, with the same green glint as her earrings. "You see Kiara, Chrissy got in a fight."

"I knew it!" Kiara shouted and stopped in her tracks. "It was Royal again, wasn't it." Kiara asks with a worried voice.

Chris rolled his eyes and said, "It is not even as bad as you two make it."

Aliva grabbed his face with her left hand and pointed to his jawline which clearly had a red mark, "This thing was bleeding the heck out of him." She told Kiara, "Now, I don't know what he did, but it looked really terrible."

"Oh Chris, you should be careful." Kiara said as she switched her books to the other hand, because they were heavy and started walking again.

"Careful, what do you mean? That guy is practically harassing me, I might as well give him a taste of his own medicine." Chris spat out, "You're annoying you that right."

Aliva stuck a lolly in her mouth. "Oh I'm sorry, for helping you out and being your walking dictionary, calendar and study buddy in class. If that's the crime, Chrissy." She said as she empathised Chrissy knowing he hates it.

"And don't forget we have the History assignment at my place today along with Zeke and your buddy, Royal."

"Shit man, I really hope Miss Rosy comes back quickly. I'm tired of Grey making teams for us." Chris said wishing he had forgotten about the assignment.

"My dad is here." Aliva waved at her father, "See ya Kiara. Don't be late Chrissy." Aliva said as she greeted them and walked to her fathers Black McLaren.

"Why didn't you tell me you were hurt," Kiara asked Chris, more confused than worried.

Chris jolted up his shoulders and said, "Didn't want to get you all principal on me, I guess."

"You guess I'm your sister" Kiara said unbelievable, "Secondly, you used magic. Chris, do you know what will happen if Natasha finds out." Her voice became more of a whisper when she was explaining to him what could have happened if someone had seen it.

"I know, I can't just use magic. But this was an emergency alright." Chris said annoyed. "Royal, can't just get enough of himself."

"What spell did you use on him?'' Kiara asked curiously.

"You are unbelievable. First you lecture me on how I cant use magic outside and then you ask me what I used on him." He chuckled. "The Nutcracker."
"Ooff, that must have hurt him pretty much." Kiara said, forcing herself not to laugh, "Now I wish I was there, could have seen his face getting all sour and red."

Chris said, "Served him right. Damn idiot stole my inhaler."

They walked two streets straight and then took the next left. Then they walked past a coffee shop called "Soffee".

The scent of freshly baked chocolate muffins with cinnamon filled the air. "Gosh, that smells good." Chris sighs as he breaths in the scent. "Lets stop, Kiara."

"I'm not sure, Chris. The weather doesn't seem too friendly, I don't want to walk in the rain."

"Come on, my treat." Chris asked her.

Kiara hesitated at first, but then she pushed her books in Chris' arms, "Fine, I want banana flavoured apple spice then."

Chris held the books, "Right, just choose the most expensive one, After you." He let Kiara in and then entered the shop too.

There was a mahogany wooden counter in the shop on which there was a coffee machine along with a checkout. There were garlands in the form of green leaves and fairy lights which gave the shop some sort of cafe ambience. Not to forget the waterfall music that was playing in the background and the shelves full of cake in flavours beyond the ordinary. The shop itself smelled like strawberry and apple pie, cinnamon, honey and mint. Not to forget a sharp cayenne and latte mixture too and chocolate.

"Ahhh. No regrets." Chris said as he looked at all of the sweets stalled out in the glass box.

Except for the music there weren't any customers and the shop was quiet. "What brings Kiara and Chris to my coffee shop?" The woman at the counter asked curiously. Her light brown coffee skin shone in the light and her bright smile was very inviting. She wore a nose ring and had her hair black loose along her shoulders.
"Miss Sadhika, you do know that this is a sweet shop and not a coffee shop, right. I mean, look at the amount of sweets in here." Chris annoyed her playfully by pointing to every single sweet.

"Not Miss, just Sadhika. It's a coffee shop, that's why it's called Sadhika's Coffee. Soffee." she said laughing kindly. "Did you have a good day Kiara" she asked as she turned around and took something out of the cupboard.

"Yes, thank you." Kiara said, "I will never get tired of coming to your shop, Miss."

Sadhika made a noise by running her tongue over her palate, "Miss again. Just say Sadhika dear. What will you two have?"

Chris looked at the glass box and pointed towards a big chocolate muffin, "I'll have that with strawberry topping and for Kiara…"

Sadhika cutted him off, by placing a brown paper bag on the counter, "Banana flavoured apple spice with cayenne cake. The last piece, I saved for you." She said as she winked at Kiara her black kohl under her eyes made her big eyes stand out beautifully.

"How'd you know, we would stop by today." Chris asked, confused.

"Magic…" she said as she drew invisible stars in the air.

Both Chris and Kiara chuckled awkwardly, "You're joking right." they asked together.

Sadhika looked at them and said, "You say." She grabbed Chris his order and also placed it in a separate brown paper bag. Chris handed her a twenty dollar bill when she said, "It's one the house for today. Enjoy and give Carmilla… I mean Natasha, my greetings."

Chris had tucked Kiaras heavy books in his bag and was already eating his muffin. He said, fully mouthed, "Will do."

As they walked further and enjoyed their sweets Chris said, "You know today is a win win for me. First you didn't want to come and still claimed that you could never get tired of Sadhikas shop and secondly I didn't pay for anything and on top of everything it's not raining."

Kiara was slowly chewing on her last bite with her mind wandering off mindlessly.

"Kiara…" Chris nudged her, "Are you okay. I've been talking to you the whole time."
Kiara looked at him and said, "It's fine Chris."

"No, it's not. Talk to me. What is it?" Chris said reassuredly.

Kiara sighed, "Do you know which day is today?" "Yes. Tuesday, 11 September 2023 to be exact." he said.

"No, I'm talking about the fact that…" Kiara tried to explain.

"I know what you mean. Nine years anniversary of mom and dads. Well, death…" Chris sighed, "Is that what's bothering you."

"Well, I can't seem to forget how horrible it all was. Thanks to my photographic memory." Kiara said as she wiped her mouth with the back of her palm.

1892 Words

226 Reviews

Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:46 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham says...

Chapter 2| 9 years ago...

Buildings were slowly crumbling to the ground as if they were pieces of bread in water, but now everything was on fire. Houses were getting abandoned by mothers holding their children in their arms while fathers tried to take the remaining food or water which could be saved. All faces had a worried look with fear in their eyes, trembling mothers crying for some of their children who didn't make it out alive. Dead bodies were on the ground, some of them drained of their blood.

Some quickly jumped in their cars wishing to get as far away as possible, which was a big mistake because the cars were like pieces of Lego for him which he threw around with his powers. Cattle were running wild on the barren land, some of them on fire, unaware of what was happening.

Amidst the entire rumble a man with brown hair and a not so tall frame ran away with his wife. His hazel brown eyes constantly checked his daughter and son who were running along with them.

‘Melody!’ A voice roared behind them.

Both the man as the woman froze in their tracks. ‘Mommy, I'm scared,’ the five year old with messy hair said as he tugged at his mothers dress. His voice filled with fear caused by the danger around him and the roaring voice.

‘It's over Melody!’ He roared again.

The woman, Melody, shook for a second. Then she bowed down to her son's level and said, ‘You are brave, Chris. You are strong, you are true and pure. Nothing will happen to you, my brave boy.’

The young boy started crying, ‘That man is scaring me, mommy.’ He started to get out of breath and he started hyperventilating.

‘No, no. Shhh….’ Melody shushed her son and took out her inhaler and shook it. After which she helped Chris and said, ‘Keep breathing, my son. You will make it.’ She kissed him on his forehead. ‘I am not giving up the stone, Dracula.’ Melody said steadfastly as she got up and faced the vampire.

‘Come on now, you don't want to die like the others right.’ Vladimir said, his pupils red and his black cape neatly draped around his shoulders. He was floating a few metres from the ground and was right in front of Melody and her husband.

‘Isn’t it enough you have already hit twelve countries, how many more. I understand that they hurt you but…’

‘No one, Doctor Cummings! No one will ever understand how it felt! and now one ever will!’ Vladimir said, pissed while slowly landing on the ground. His black suit was framing his lifeless body rather charming.

Vladimir took steps towards Melody and her husband, ‘Tell your stupid wife to give up the stone, Doctor Cummings,’

The six year old Kiara grabbed her fathers hand and looked Vladimir in his eyes. ‘Don't hurt my daddy!’ she shouted.

‘How cute. Your offspring has your spirit, Doctor. I asked nicely, now give me the stone before I change my mind.’ Vladimir said as he took yet another step. Melody as James also took several steps back.

Upon hearing this, Melody looked devastated at James.

‘Melody, end it.’ he said and lifted Chris.

Melody took out her necklace with a white stone attached to it. ‘When the stars turn against the moon. When the moon hides behind the sun. Then will RedMoon night come to life. Not in January and neither in November, for in December it's the north star that keeps shining. RedMoon Night December is your doom, Dracula.’ While finishing the rhyme a white beam erupted from the stone and bursted out circling the entire Cummings family.

Vladimir took this opportunity and attacked Melody to grab the stone before the ascension was complete. He flew over to her with his vamp speed and pushed away her blond hair whereas he put his fangs in her. Melody gasped for air as Vladimir drained her from her blood. Tears were dripping from her eyes as her life was slowly getting taken.

James ran towards him and wanted to attack him, but Vladimir was faster and ripped his heart out. He bit in it, blood streaming from around his mouth dripping towards his jaw and his neck. The stone fell out of her hand and magically wrapped itself around Chris' neck.

Vladimir laughed as he saw the dead bodies, ‘Husband and Wife together alas.’ Both Chris and Kiara kneeled down at their parents' bodies begging them to wake up from this horrible nightmare.

‘This is just a game we're playing, come one dad. It's not funny anymore. Mom please.’ Kiara pleaded.

Vladimir licked his mouth and threw James's heart away as he walked over to the young Chris. Vladimir bowed to Chris at his level. He was sitting next to his mother, who was no longer breathing. He was crying but not making a sound.

‘Christopher,’ Vladimir said as he stroked Chris's cheek, ‘soft skin, hazel brown eyes, brownish black hair and asthma. Pathetic, just like Melody.’ Chris did not move nor did he flinch at Vladimir; his gaze was fixed on his mother. He carefully removed the stone necklace and leaned towards Chris.

‘I must admit, tasty blood. Just like Melody indeed.’ Vladimir held the white stone in his hands and a shimmer of happiness shone in his eyes.

Then he went over to Kiara and said, ‘Give it to me, little girl, your mummy's not coming back.’

‘No!’ Kiara shouted at him with hate in her voice, ‘You're mean.’

Vladimir chuckled at this remark and said, ‘Aww, I know. Now give me the object or I will hurt little Chrissy over here.’ His eyes turned red as he looked at Kiara who was shivering. She swallowed and looked at Chris who was crying softly.

She took a green emerald from her father's pocket and handed it to Vladimir. ‘Good girl,’ he said, patting her head. Just as he put his hands on the emerald, his hands went up in flames. He immediately let go, and the emerald fell to the ground, shattering like glass.

‘No!’ he roared, causing Kiara to stumble back. She ran over to Chris as fast as she could and hugged him tightly as he started to cry.

Something came out of Vladimir's eyes, it was watery but red. It seemed too thick to be just red water. Blood tears. He slowly fell to his knees in front of the shattered emerald, hitting the ground hard. His pupils were now even more red.

He looked at the siblings and shouted, ‘I will kill you!’ He got up from the ground and marched towards them, ‘That was the last piece to complete my ascension and now. You've ruined it all!’ Chris let out a yelp as Vladimir came closer, ready to kill them.

‘Vladimir, stop it!’ a Hispanic woman's voice echoed angelically through the air. He turned at the command and looked at the brown-eyed woman standing in front of him.

‘No one has called me that in quite some time,’ he said to her, ‘finally decided that I know what is best for us.’ She laughed carelessly, her laughter sounding like bells in a church, a heavenly choir some would say.

‘Oh no, darling. You see, you have made your choice. Now it is time for my move on the chessboard, as you would say.’ She walked towards him, her black heels tapping on the floor with a certain rhythm.

Her curly yet wavy black hair trailed behind her and her dimples slowly disappeared. ‘Now, you either hand over the children or…’

‘Or what.’ Vladimir asked, unaffected. ‘You wouldn't dare bite me, would you, darling? We are both vampires already.’ He walked around her and placed his hands on her shoulders. ‘You see, I have just feasted on your ex-best friend who destroyed the green emerald we were both looking for. We can either enjoy her children, which I am more than happy to share with you, especially the mean girl. And we can both live happily ever after, together, what do you say my love?’

She shook his hands off her shoulders. ‘My happiness died the moment…’ she did not finish the sentence and held her chin up, ‘I was done with you a long time ago.’ She walked over to the children.

Vladimir turned and said, ‘Don't tell me you are still offended by what I have done for the greater good of both of us.’

She ignored his question and said, ‘I'm taking them and you are not stopping me.’ she lifted Chris in her arm and held Kiara with the other.

‘I'm not stopping you, darling. Go on, when they are ready, I assure you, I will hunt them down. Just like I did their parents. But even then I will give you a third chance, Carmilla, or should I say Natasha.’ Vladimir chuckled as he rose into the sky and disappeared into the night.

1498 words

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:12 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Spoiler! :
so cool that you're posting your work in this thread! I'm making a note to come back and read properly when I have time

226 Reviews

Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:13 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham says...

Thanks @IcyFlame ! ^^ I'm posting my work in this thread, because it motivates me to keep writing and make it through the end of the month and finish my novel.

226 Reviews

Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:36 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham says...

Chapter 3| Back to Now (dw needs a better title yet)

They went to the door, which opened automatically, because of magic. The entire house as the garden was alive and you could see it if you looked closely. Everything was breathing and happy.

'Natasha, we are home,' Chris said as he ran up the stairs and into the shower. He wanted to avoid questions about how he got hurt or if he had used magic. He knew Natasha was very strict about using Magic in public. He didn’t want to get grounded.

As Kiara walked in behind him, she went to Natasha and gave her a firm hug.

'Well, hello to you too,' Natasha said as her eyes twinkled and wrapped her arms around Kiara. 'You've been thinking about the incident, haven't you?' She asked, puzzled as she looked at Kiara.

Kiara nodded and small tears began to form in her eyes. 'I miss them. I can't seem to forget what happened that night. It’s all because of this stupid photographic memory!'

'Oh no, Carino. Your photographic memory is a regalo of tu madre.' Natasha reassured her and stroked her hair.

Kiara started to cry, 'I want it to stop. I see them dying every time over and over again. It’s like he’s coming for me.’

'Shhh Carino. No, you’re safe with me. Go take a shower, let's eat something and then we can talk about it, bien?' Natasha said, trying to talk her out of her fear. She let go of Kiara and smiled at her.

Kiara walked slowly up the stairs as she remembered that night.

'I will kill you!'

Tears started driving out of her eyes.

'I will hunt them down. Just like I did their parents.'

Chris who just finished showering saw her in tears and before he could engage, Natasha called Chris to let her be.

'You've ruined it all!' Vladimir's voice roared in Kiara's head.

'Tell me, Chris. Where is your inhaler?' Natasha asked Chris as she ordered the potato to start dividing the food among the plates with a swish of her finger.

Chris tried to put on his best innocent boy voice and sat down at the table, 'Did you know I got a free muffin at Miss Sadhikas today?'

Natasha turned and squinted her eyes, 'Stalling.'

Chris asked in disbelief, 'How did you know, I used the healing spell on myself.'

Natasha chuckled as she moved around in the kitchen, the light began to glow in her purple earrings, 'I know when you are hurt Chris. But I have to agree with Kiara though, the nutcracker was a good move, but still against the rules.' She pointed at him seriously. 'No magic outside the house.'

'Sorry,' he admitted. Chris sat down and held up his glass for the magical water jug to fill it. He nodded in thanks.

'Kiara is still struggling to come to terms with what happened to your parents. I suggest you give her some space and get home quickly before seven after Aliva’s alright.' Natasha said as she started to put the chicken on.

Chris nodded and began to dig in. 'Tell me again how it is that you can cook, clean, prepare the next subject you are going to teach us, look after us while we are at school and still have time to read.'

Natasha laughed at this remark, ‘I’m a witch Chris.’

His leather shoes clicked on the ground with each step, both of his hands rested on his back. His dark black hair was slicked behind and matched his soul. Even now he still had his cape around his shoulders, it didn't look like he had aged a day. 'Is it done?' he asked, his voice ice cold.

'I placed the bug, master.' The man said who was standing in the doorway.

'I told you to find Natasha, not to bug her!'

The man trembled with fear and bowed his head deep, 'Sorry, master, I thought-'

Vladimir turned around soundless, 'Sorry is for failures!' He snapped the man's neck with no mercy, no strings attached, no feelings, no nothing, 'Good. Now you won't fail me anymore.'

The man sank in a pile on the ground. Vladimir stepped over him and walked back to his throne.

'Daddy!' A high pitched voice squealed through the room.

'Do not enter the room Jezebel!' He ordered her coldly, his grey eyes running over the lifeless body of his former slave.

'Why daddy!'

'What do you want, Jezebel?' Vladimir asked with serious annoyance creeping into his voice.

She made her voice even more high pitched, 'Makeup, lipstick, eyeshadow, rouge, foundation and nail polish and new clothing, the one of the vintage store to be precise.'

Vladimir said, 'Not now.' He pressed his forehead against his head, trying to think of a way to get Natasha and find the kids.

His daughter squealed from her room, 'I want it now!'

'Only if I see progress, I will give you the store itself as a gift.'

'But daddy!' She shouted trying to get what she wanted.

Vladimir roared, 'Jezebel Marya Dracula! I will not repeat myself! Is that understood?' He was still sitting on his throne but furious now.

'Yes daddy,' She said without coming out of the room, obeying her fathers words.

'Now, get ready. It’ll be time soon.' Vladimir said as he took a sip of blood out of a glass flying next to his throne which dripped slowly from his mouth to his jaw, but he didn’t mind.

‘I’m so close, darling.’ he said as he laughed in a villainous way. ‘I’ve finally found you!’ He swooshed his cape in which he turned into a bat.

939 Words

Anne felt that life was really not worth living without puffed sleeves.
— L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables