z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 14)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:45 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius shook his hand, rising and bracing himself on his desk. "Have you been shown to your chambers?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:54 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Not yet.” Derik shook his head, glancing down at Gaius’s missing leg for the briefest of moments before looking back to his face. Poor man had had a hell of a life, it seemed. “We were shown to a parlor and given a delicious meal, but then straight here after.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:57 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Would you like to retire there for now?" he asked, not missing the glance but choosing not to acknowledge it.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:02 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“That would be wonderful,” Derik answered with a nod. “It's been a bit of a taxing journey on our Southern bodies.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:29 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Certainly." Gaius took up his crutch. "I'll find someone to take you there."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:43 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Thank you.” Derik nodded to him again. He briefly considered offering to find his own way so the Lord of the Keep wouldn’t have to hobble downstairs on their behalf. Then remembered his thought not two minutes before of not letting foreign military wander around your palace unguarded and promptly dismissed the idea.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:02 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius limped toward the door and shouldered it open, poking his head out into the hall. He'd asked for a few servants to be patrolling that floor at all times so he might have more ease getting things done, and this proved helpful as a young man passed by. "Abelard, would you mind taking my guests to their rooms in the barracks? One of the soldiers will know which dormitory."
"Certainly, sir." The young man bobbed his head.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:09 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Hello.” Derik nodded to the man and stepped out to the hall to join him, then turned to glance at his kids. Rek followed next, nodding to Ash then the soldier as he stood next to his father.

Kieran edged past Ash as fast as humanly possible while maintaining it could be classified as a walk, ducking his head as he shuffled forward towards Rek. Jerica came out last, shoulders squared and chin raised.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:10 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Actually, General--might I have just a moment of your time?" Gaius asked as Abelard stepped forward to greet Kieran, Rek, and Jerica.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:13 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Derik glanced at him, surprised by the request but not opposed. “Of course.” He nodded. Something that needed kept private, then? Very well. He glanced back at Jerica, who was now regarding Ash with the utmost suspicion. Derik gave her a warning look. “Remember what I told you.”

She glanced at him, pulled away from her thoughts. Right. Shut up. Be good. She remembered. She reluctantly dipped her head. “Sir.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:16 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius limped back into the room. "It was a pleasure to meet you all," he said.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:17 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“You as well.” Derik stepped back in and shut the door after them. “What can I do for you?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:20 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He remained standing. "This won't take long. I'll be direct; do you know a man by the name of Zander?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:24 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Goddamn it. What had Zander done this time? He’d thought the tough part of this visit was going to be keeping Jerica in line; he didn’t know he was going to have to play clean up after Zander, too. Never before had he heard of a big brother that needed babysat as much as his own. Causing trouble. Everywhere he went.

“I mean, I know a lot of Zanders,” Derik answered, deciding to try to buy himself more time. “Why do you ask?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:26 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"This one bears a strong resemblance to you."

(I forget Zander's last name)

she/her

Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
— G.K. Chesterton