z

Young Writers Society

Write an Intentionally putrid short story

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:11 pm
Spotswood says...

So I know that dear Elinor recently held a contest very much like this a few weeks ago and I thought it was so amazingly brilliant, I decided to hold one of my own! It may seem like a ripoff (sorry Elinor), but the concept was just so ingenious, I had to hold one myself. There is a catch however, the catch being that you will be assigned a random prompt. The fact that you will be assigned a random prompt (which range from rational topics to incredibly stupid concepts) will ensure that you are caught entirely off-guard and will be forced to write the worst piece of filth you can think of.

Although there are prompts, you can still be creative and go off on random tangents diverting from your story (I am making it flexible enough to allow you to incorporate your own original ideas), but just try to keep it relatively on topic in regards to your concept that is assigned.

How this will work:

You must pick two numbers. The first number you must pick will be in-between one and five and will decide which genre your story will be. The second number you pick must be in-between one and ten; it will assign a specific setting or theme in relation to your picked genre.

Rules:

1. Please write using sen-intelligable grammar. It is okay to misuse words, make run-on sentences, and make a purposefully mistake or punctuation error from time to time, but don't overuse it to the point of me not being able to understand it. I won't be able to judge the badness of a story unless it is intelligible enough to read. Do not misspell words either.

2. Do not make off-colour jokes or remarks in your story (in relation to controversial topics). It should be common knowledge, but I am just letting you all know that I do not want something blatantly offensive. For instance, do not joke about controversial topics like, say, the Holocaust, 9/11, abortion, or homosexuality. You are more than welcome to mention them if it pertains to your story, but try not to do so offensively.

3. (I know it is cliched) But have fun!

What's At Stake:

I'm just a poor boy from a poor family, so I have very little to offer. Honestly, I have very few points, so unless an anonymous benefactor is willing to contribute to my personal coffers (which would be MUCH APPRECIATED :P), all I can offer is reviews.

One grand prize winner will receive five reviews for any story of their choice.

One 1st prize winner will receive three reviews

two 2nd place winners will win a review each. WHen I say review, I mean a VERY COMPREHENSIVE review.

I know it isn't much, but it isn't about the prize, it is about having fun!

The deadline for submission is October 2nd.

Happy Writing!

J.R. Spotswood

P.S. Elinor, since you hosted the last one, you might find it fun to put yourself in your own situation by joining this contest.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:27 pm
Piper says...

4 and 6.
Cats are like characters. You may say they're yours, but in reality, they own you. ~Me

You can take away all the arts you want, but soon, the children won't have anything to read or write about. ~Glen Holland

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:16 pm
maryanne says...

3 and 8

508 Reviews

Reviews: 508
Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:59 pm
dragonfphoenix says...

4 and 7
D.F.P., Knight Dragon

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:41 pm
wildwildcat says...

1 and 1 :D

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:25 am
Blackwood says...

I know you want me.

(Just because you asked :P)
Can I play but I'm not in it for the points? (I have a surplus)

And being a master of terrible writing I can offer to contribute to your contest by reviewing all of the bad stories written and giving advice on how to make them worse. <3
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

29 Reviews

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:45 pm
Spotswood says...

Blackwood wrote:I know you want me.

(Just because you asked :P)
Can I play but I'm not in it for the points? (I have a surplus)

And being a master of terrible writing I can offer to contribute to your contest by reviewing all of the bad stories written and giving advice on how to make them worse. <3

Pick your numbers, and you shall begin...
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

332 Reviews

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:08 am
Blackwood says...

2, 4

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:39 pm
FatCowsSis says...

3 and 2
What do you call a cow with no legs?
Spoiler! :
Ground Beef

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:41 am
Rook says...

Five and ten.
I've had practice, gotten advice... now I'm ready. Let's do this.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:54 pm
umaima says...

1 and 10
This time I am so not going to do a story after the competition...
“The strong person is not the one who can wrestle someone else down. The strong person is the one who can control himself when he is angry.”

“It is better to sit alone than in company with the bad; and it is better still to sit with the good than alone.”

332 Reviews

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:14 am
Blackwood says...

My entry:

Once upon a time.
The end.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:30 pm
umaima says...

Do we have to post the story or PM it t ya?
Mine's ready!
“The strong person is not the one who can wrestle someone else down. The strong person is the one who can control himself when he is angry.”

“It is better to sit alone than in company with the bad; and it is better still to sit with the good than alone.”

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:44 pm
FatCowsSis says...

Here's my entry:

This cute guys likes me. Maybe. I like him to. Maybe he'll ask me to date him. I would say yes. My friend asked him to ask me out. I want him to. He's so cute. He's a senior too. Oh, look. He's walking this way. He might do it. "Lauren, do you want to date me?"
"Yes!"
"I'll see you Friday night at 6."
"Bye Chase!"
-the next day-
"Hey Lauren, I'm breaking up with you for Sally. She's a lot cuter than you."
"You jerk!" Why did he break up with me? I'm perfect! I'm going to tell everyone that he broke up with me. But first, I'm going to cry and make it look like I pretend to care.

The end
Last edited by FatCowsSis on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
What do you call a cow with no legs?
Spoiler! :
Ground Beef

29 Reviews

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:22 pm
Spotswood says...

Hey, sorry I have not been able to read the stories lately. It has just been busy from my end. If you can PM them to me, I'll look over them when I get the chance.
-R.U.

Why can't I put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator? Would you prefer if I put in the Shrek script instead?
— CaptainJack