z

Young Writers Society

Do You Have Asperger's Syndrome?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:55 pm
chipdale says...

Asperger syndrome (sometimes called Asperger's syndrome, AS, or the more common shorthand Asperger's), is characterized as one of the five pervasive developmental disorders, and is commonly referred to as a form of high-functioning autism. In very broad terms, individuals with Asperger's have normal or above average intellectual capacity, and atypical or less well developed social skills, often with emotional/social development or integration happening later than usual as a result.

Definitions and diagnostic criteria
Asperger syndrome is defined in section 299.80 of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) as

1. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

Marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction.
    Failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level.
    A lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people).
    A lack of social or emotional reciprocity.

2. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

Encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal in either intensity or focus.
    Apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals.
    Stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting or complex whole-body movements).
    Persistent preoccupation with parts of objects.

3. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

4. There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age two years, communicative phrases used by age three years).

5. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills or adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

6. Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

If I've piqued your interest, there are two Internet forums for you to talk with others who are diagnosed, self-diagnosed, have a family member with, want to know more about Asperger's syndrome and its relative Autistic Spectrum Disorders:

www.aspiesforfreedom.com
www.wrongplanet.net

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:39 pm
Carmina says...

This is very interesting, but may I ask why you are posting this here? The title of this thread "Do you have Asperger's Syndrome?" and the description sorta is inviting people to self-diagnose. That is unwise. Are you just sharing information about something you find interesting? Or are you opening the door to discuss our personal experiences with this syndrome or people who have it? My brother has it. It has basically dictated his whole life. This isn't exactly a casual topic for me.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller