z

Young Writers Society

Strange friendships and how they got started.

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:03 am
Shady says...

aha I admire the hustle of you reviving so many ancient threads xD

I guess the oddest one that came to mind first was actually with my absolute best friend in undergrad. I went to a religious university so there was a required chapel service every day, and the dining common was a MADHOUSE immediately afterward. No one warned me about this haha. I quickly learned not to go then unless I really, really had to -- usually just waited an hour or so for things to calm down.

But this was literally the first day of classes so I didn't know any better. And literally every single table was claimed -- but I, somehow, managed to snag one of the very last ones available and was eating by myself because I didn't know anyone yet. And this girl comes walking over and is like "Can I sit with you? I've got extra cookies I can share with you." And I thought it was weird but I was like uh sure yeah go for it. So we started chatting and hit it off and I was a zoology major and she was a biochemistry major so we were science nerd-ing it up. And then I had lab at 1 pm and was like "ah, gotta run! I've got lab now!" and she's like "oh, actually, me too. Let's walk to the science building together." And so we did, and as we were comparing schedules, we realized we were both in the same general biology lab section and agreed to be lab partners.

So, yeah, we got really, really close after that. People would call us "the inseparables" because we were together most moments of the day haha. We had gen bio lecture and lab and history all together in the same section, then we were both in the same English class but different sections. So we had a lot in common and had similar schedules and could help each other study so we got a lot of meals together.

And it all started because she approached a random stranger and bribed them with cookies to let her sit with them because she couldn't get her own table xD

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:18 pm
MailicedeNamedy says...

I don't know if it's strange, but I had a new classmate in my final year, and he was a bit conceited. At least that's what we all assumed in class because every time he got an exam back and had the highest grade, he would stand up and applaud. Nobody really liked him because he always came across as smug.

I found it really obnoxious at times because he also seemed so slimy and always had to speak in Italian when he didn't want us to hear something and yes, I often got upset when he had better grades than me. :D

Then came the moment when he and I were chosen by our school to do an internship in a city. For one month we were there and shared the kitchen and there I got to talk a bit and you got to know him better. I told him in the second week why we in the class didn't like him and he was so surprised and he said that he was actually gay and that's why he tried to present himself differently so that people wouldn't think he was gay. Firstly, I found it nice and relieving that he had told me (and later the class) but it also made me so angry and sad that he had to pretend because he was afraid of being lynched because of society. After the internship (or also already during the internship), he was the person he wanted to be and I am happy that I can call him friend since then, even though at the beginning I would have liked to wring his neck for showing off.

He is one of the few friends I still have from school and he owns an ice cream shop. <3
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:31 pm
NewHope says...

In Grade 3 I got in an argument with a girl and of course this boy tried to protect her by tackling, as he choked me I punched him in the throat. In Grade 5, we somehow had become friends, that year he would be my only friend while I was being bullied once again. Slowly we became friends for a variety of perfect reasons. Unfortunately he was forced to go to a different high school in Grade 8. He is still probably the only person I would call a proper friend.

I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief