z

Young Writers Society

Bare Sark/Bear Sark

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue May 31, 2005 3:29 pm
deleted6 says...

When you picture Vikings, you generally think of axe wielding screaming maniacs dressed in fur, raping, murdering and pillaging wherever they went. This picture is not that of an ordinary Viking warrior, but that of a Berserk or Berserker.

These warriors would work themselves into frenzy or “berserkergang” before battle, biting their shields and howling, dressed in wild animal skins, normally either bear or wolf to instil fear into those about them and it was believed that they took on the strength and character of these animals in battle. It was also believed by the sagas that they could shape shift into different wild animals and appear in dreams or visions.

They were ferocious fighters, were without fear or pain whilst in their berserker rage and some (the Ulfheadnar) would go into battle without armour. Whist in the berserker rage they would kill any who got in their way, friend and foe alike and they would continue to fight even when mortally wounded.

They are mentioned in many of the Viking saga’s and it is believed their name derives from either “Bear-Sark” relating to the animal skin worn or “Bare-Sark” with reference to the them fighting without armour and gives us the word berserk in the modern English language.

Berserkers were believed to worship the Norse god Odin, that they were members of a cult, performing sacred rituals to be initiated. The wearing of animal skins would also be part of the cult as Odin could also shape shift into other animals.

Young warriors were often initiated into bands of Berserkers numbering 12, with the leader bearing the name Bjorn meaning bear.

It is assumed that the taking of hallucinogenic, mind altering substances such as certain mushrooms or consumption of huge amounts of alcohol may have been part of the Berserkers preparation for battle and would explain such a rage and inability to tell friend from foe.

After the rage dissipated the warrior would be left in a state of utter exhaustion to such an extent they would have to be helped from the field of battle.

To celebrate these mighty warriors of the past who are so much a part of the history within the Islands Andy has started to create a high strength Pale Ale called the Berserker. The recipe is in the final stages and production should begin in late 2003 but for all the latest updates check our news page.

Wot Ise wanna know Who Would You Reckon as the Greatest Ever BearSark/BareSark ?Berserker :D :D
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

665 Reviews

Tue May 31, 2005 3:33 pm
Chevy says...

I am so lost, man.

The only thing I know about vikings is that they only had one meal a day. And they had one in Veggie Tales
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

Random avatar

Tue May 31, 2005 6:20 pm
deleted6 says...

Here a help Boudidca could have been a Berseker
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue May 31, 2005 7:22 pm
Firestarter says...

Boudica? She wasn't a Viking though...
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue May 31, 2005 7:56 pm
niteowl says...

Fontroy, have you ever read Warriors of Alavna? It's about two modern day British kids Dan and Ursula who go back in time to around 100 AD when the Celts are fighting off the "Ravens" (the Romans), and they become part of the Celtic tribe. Ursula disguised herself as a guy and got weird magic powers so she actually ended up changing herself into a guy! How freaky and gross is that? Dan didn't get magic powers, but he went Bear Sark and that was like his nickname.

I don't know of any actual Bear Sarks in history, so I'd have to say Dan's my fave.

Random avatar

Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:59 am
deleted6 says...

No it was started by Vikings but it carried on over the years

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:29 am
BookWyrm72 says...

I know this was a while ago... but as I just joined, I'm a little slow on the uptake... anyways.
Yes, I have read Warriors of Alavna, I've also read The Fetch which also gives really interesting perspectives on Viking culture. Apparently, as Bear Sarks were very vicious fighters, and did not feel pain or remorse (or any other feeling) in a battle, they were highly honored and held very highly esteemed. I don't know how much is really fact, but it seemed like being a Berserker was very special and I don't think there was really a ritual before it. I do know that warriors and Vikings liked to die in battle still fighting (with all their wounds in front to show that they weren't running away) as opposed to passing away with old age. Also, although it wasn't required for warriors, when a Berserker died, their bodies had to be cremated and to be "burned in the cleansing flames" because it was required to free their spirit. Otherwise, their souls would be trapped and their bodies would be stuck forever (kind of like ghosts).
So yeah, just thought I'd share some of that because I was looking for stuff about Bear-Sarks and thought this was kind of interesting. :)

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
— John Cage