z

Young Writers Society

Rejection letters...

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:35 pm
Eimear says...

I heard of a writer you actually sought out rejection letters. He planned to cover his bathroom walls in them. Unfortunately, someone accepted his work...tough break lol!

I havent had any yet since I've only been writing for a couple of months. Can someone describe one to me? I mean, are they nasty and personal?

Eimeaxx
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:16 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Eimear wrote:I havent had any yet since I've only been writing for a couple of months. Can someone describe one to me? I mean, are they nasty and personal?

Having never submitted anything, I have no first hand experience of receiving a rejection, but I would have thought that any publisher or agent who sends out horribly personal rejection letters is not going to be publishing or agenting (yes, I know there's no such word as 'agenting') for much longer. Usually, I think they're just a standard reply (they reject so many it would be impossible to send a personal answer to each writer) saying something along the lines of 'we're sorry, but your book does not fit our criteria', or something along those lines.

I'm merely going on what I've seen and heard here. Maybe someone who's actually had one will be able to give a better description?
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:27 pm
Emerson says...

I've recevied some standard form letters, but actually, sending into small magazines has given me back personalized rejections. And it is never "Wow, this is horrible because..." it is "Maybe if instead you had..." and they usually suggest how the story would have been, would have fit more into what they were looking for, etc.

One magazine didn't accept my piece but said they looked forward to other submissions. :) too bad I don't write fantasy more often!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:14 pm
keirab says...

Cpt. Smurf wrote:
Eimear wrote:I havent had any yet since I've only been writing for a couple of months. Can someone describe one to me? I mean, are they nasty and personal?

Having never submitted anything, I have no first hand experience of receiving a rejection, but I would have thought that any publisher or agent who sends out horribly personal rejection letters is not going to be publishing or agenting (yes, I know there's no such word as 'agenting') for much longer. Usually, I think they're just a standard reply (they reject so many it would be impossible to send a personal answer to each writer) saying something along the lines of 'we're sorry, but your book does not fit our criteria', or something along those lines.

I'm merely going on what I've seen and heard here. Maybe someone who's actually had one will be able to give a better description?

I've only gotten one, from when I sent out a novel of mine. (Well, actually I didn't send it out, my dad sent it out without telling me, it's a long story.) This was when I was 11 I believe. It was a very nice letter but very standard, just, "We loved your book but it's not quite what we're looking for right now, don't give up writing," etc.
Sgt: Now, it's quite simple to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana. First of all you force him to drop the banana; then, second, you eat the banana, thus disarming him. You have now rendered him 'elpless.
Palin: What if he's got a bunch?

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:18 pm
Rei says...

Yeah, rejection letters are either very impersonal or include a small piece of polite feedback. They would never say, "This is crap." Even if it is, so some really bad writers may get their hopes up that they might one day be published.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Reviews: 1
Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:03 pm
BeautifullyDepressing says...

Rejection letters suck.

Chocolate makes it better, then you realise it's just making you fat and the best way to spend your time is to go and write more.
Then you remember the damn letter again...
Being weird, I've got my first one framed on my wall.
:D
If We Were A Movie, You'd Be The Right Guy,
And I'd Be The Best Friend, That You Fall In Love With, In The End...
- If We Were A Movie - Hannah Montana

Wise Words, Miss Montana...

Life is about losing everything.
— Isabel Allende