z

Young Writers Society

You Can't Do That in Canada!

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:07 am
Dynamo says...

Until 1996 it was illegal for children to be out-of-doors alone in the evening in Edmonton. Children under the age of 14 (or children that looked that age) had to be indoors by nine o'clock from May to October, and by eight o'clock from November to April, "except for proper control or guardianship."
How did they know when the curfew had begun? Easy. "The town inquirer shall regularly ring the 'Curfew Bell' as a warning." Parents who didn't know where their children were after curfew could be fines $1 for the offense, $2 for every second their children are not home and $5 for the third. Parents who would not pay, and let their children "run wild," could be put in jail for up to 30 days. The curfew statute was passed in 1897, but it lived on (though unenforced) until the 1990s.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:43 am
Dynamo says...

In Calgary, from 1885 to 1996, people using the sidewalks or streets had to avoid running, racing, crowding or jostling each other. The throwing of snowballs, ice or stones was out, too.
No :charivaries" either. That was when someone banged kettles, pans and tea trays together under a chosen person's window. The penalties? A $50 fine or three weeks in jail!
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:48 am
casey_kent says...

Hilarious. I found some in the internet but it's crazy laws in the US. It's more hilarious than this. Check out this site http://www.bored.com/crazylaws/index.htm. You'll fall from your chair when you read the laws in here!! :))
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

And don't forget it's hydrate or diedrate
— zaminami