z

Young Writers Society

Good books out there?

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:35 am
Sachiko says...

Ahhh, yes, Christmas is coming, i'm expecting expecting gift cards, and I need books to buy with those gift cards... Any suggestions? It doesn't really matter what genre it is. I really like all kinds. Just tell me your favorite book, or author, and i'll check 'em out. Kay? Kay! ^_^
Last edited by Sachiko on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:21 am
whence says...

can you be more specific? A genre, or somethnig?
Nabokov, Asimov, Clive Barker, Remarque, Steinbeck...
those are all authors names. Look into them, if you wish.
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:06 am
Emerson says...

*hugs Whence* You suggested Nabokov and Steinbeck!

With Steinbeck, East of Eden was good. I hated it all through until the end, haha. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova is also really good, and it's not a "dry" classic. ^_^ You might not be an old book nerd like we are! oh, what else? If you haven't read Hitchhikers Guide, do so. Look up Douglas Adams. hmmm. If you are going to tempt to play with the oldies, Dostoevsky is my love. As well as Wilde, Waugh, hmm Nabokov, oh! And Dumas is superb. So is Dumas fils, his son. Camille is the best and saddest romance novel you will find. Also rather short.

Good luck. ^_^ Why not try going to amazon and using their recommendation feature? I love that. Find books you like or own, rate them, and it will give you books you'll probably enjoy. Usually, it's right!!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:29 am
Areida says...

I second East of Eden and The Historian. The first was just... wow... and the second was pretty dang good too. Very thoroughly researched, for certain.

If you haven't read Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card) your life is pretty much incomplete. Put it on the list!

Anything by Philippa Gregory is pretty much guaranteed to be interesting, but my favorites of hers are The Other Boleyn Girl, The Constant Princess, and The Queen's Fool.

Another one of my all time favorite books is a memoir, written by a woman with manic-depressive (bipolar) disorder. It's brilliant, and completely heart-wrenching. An Unquiet Mind, by Kay Redfield Jamison.

More heart-breakers: The Lovely Bones and Lucky, both by Alice Sebold. They're both very intense, but the second is a little more brutal in some of it descriptions, so if you or your parents are iffy on it you might want to skip it for now.

And have you ever read any Meg Cabot? Not exactly life-changing literature or anything, but her books usually make me laugh/snort/giggle at least a few times. The Princess Diaries are all pretty addicting, but I probably haven't laughed in any of her books as much as How to be Popular.

Do you have any more specifications, so I can be less random?
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:24 pm
Sachiko says...

Meh, random is good! I have read a lot of Meg Cabot, but I tend to avoid her books now. They haven't been something i've particularly enjoyed. I will check out "The Historian", and "East of Eden". I've heard good things about them. I will definitely look at "Ender's Game" too! My brother has it, but he has never let me read it, so i'll most likely end up buying my own copy. ^_^
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:37 pm
Stori says...

I would suggest Erin Hunter. It's actually a pen name for three people.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:40 pm
Twit says...

Catherine Webb. Definately Catherine Webb.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:08 pm
Emerson says...

Oh, and something that's kind of YA so you might like it (I read it when I was your age) Ein Colfer, I believe his name is... I probably spelled it wrong, wrote the Artemis Fowl series. I never finished them, and I wish I had! They were amazing books, incredebly interesting. Probably the only fantasy books I ever read, hehe.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:12 pm
Myth says...

I recommend anything by Elizabeth Gaskell.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:15 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak -- depressing but wonderfully written.

For rather "off the charts" humor, try Bill Bryson's "The Lost Continent". He takes a tour of America and writes about it -- hilarious, as is "Notes from a Small Island" which is, if memory serves, England. He's a subtle snarker, but not for anyone under thirteen. ^_^

"The Westing Game" by Ellen Raskin. That book is pure genius... it's mystery.

"A Vision of Light" by Judith Merkle Riley. Also pure genius, surrounding a Christian woman in the 14th century. ^_^

EDIT: Suz, it's Eoin Colfer, Fantasy Genius Extraordinaire. Anything by him is awesome, though I recommend "The Wish List" and the Artemis Fowl series.

Also, if you have not read Orson Scott Card, you are an incomplete person. Read his work and be amazed at Ender and Bean. "Ender's Shadow" FTW!

Another EDIT, if you have any moolah left over after reading Card's work and you like it, you should try "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi.
Last edited by Sumi H. Inkblot on Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohmeohmy

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:19 pm
View Likes
deleted6 says...

Montmorency - Eleanor Updale. This is my fave book ever. Oh and if you can find any Christopher Pike. If you're a big fantasy fan Ian Irvine.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:39 pm
Squall says...

I recommend "The Old Kingdom Trilogy" by Garth Nix.

That is consist of Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen.

Be warned though that you need to have a good thinking mind to understand the deeper plot and character conventions and basically reading between and beyond the lines. Only then will you fully appreciate the complexity of the plot.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:00 pm
Icaruss says...

Bah.

Read Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:25 pm
Twit says...

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Mirror Dreams, Mirror Wakes and the Horatio Lyle books by Catherine Webb. Fantasy.

The Horns of the Buffalo, by John Wilcox. Historical. If you can skip over some scenes, his books are great.

The Sight, by David Clement Davies

The Beekeeper's Apprentice, by Laurie R King
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

I'm getting nachos~
— BluesClues