z

Young Writers Society

Words :)

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:28 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Okay, so here's the dealio. You just post your favourite word with a definition; preferably from the dictionary but it could also be from the heart. [Oh that sounded so cheesy]

Or, you could just post a random word and let everyone know about it! Maybe people will one day use this thread to find words for their pieces of writing. :)

Debauchery: Indulgence in sensual pleasures
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:43 am
Cade says...

Bloom...in all its glory, as defined by dictionary.com:

bloom1 /blum/
–noun 1. the flower of a plant.
2. flowers collectively: the bloom of the cherry tree.
3. state of having the buds opened: The gardens are all in bloom.
4. a flourishing, healthy condition; the time or period of greatest beauty, artistry, etc.: the bloom of youth; the bloom of Romanticism.
5. a glow or flush on the cheek indicative of youth and health: a serious illness that destroyed her bloom.
6. the glossy, healthy appearance of the coat of an animal.
7. a moist, lustrous appearance indicating freshness in fish.
8. redness or a fresh appearance on the surface of meat.
9. Botany. a whitish powdery deposit or coating, as on the surface of certain fruits and leaves: the bloom of the grape.
10. any similar surface coating or appearance: the bloom of newly minted coins.
11. any of certain minerals occurring as powdery coatings on rocks or other minerals.
12. Also called chill. a clouded or dull area on a varnished or lacquered surface.
13. Also called algal bloom, water bloom. the sudden development of conspicuous masses of organisms, as algae, on the surface of a body of water.
14. Television. image spread produced by excessive exposure of highlights in a television image.
–verb (used without object) 15. to produce or yield blossoms.
16. to flourish or thrive: a recurrent fad that blooms from time to time.
17. to be in or achieve a state of healthful beauty and vigor: a sickly child who suddenly bloomed; a small talent that somehow bloomed into major artistry.
18. to glow with warmth or with a warm color.
–verb (used with object) 19. to cause to yield blossoms.
20. to make bloom or cause to flourish: a happiness that blooms the cheek.
21. to invest with luster or beauty: an industry that blooms one's talents.
22. to cause a cloudy area on (something shiny); dampen; chill: Their breath bloomed the frosty pane.
23. Optics. to coat (a lens) with an antireflection material.
—Idioms24. take the bloom off, to remove the enjoyment or ultimate satisfaction from; dampen the enthusiasm over: The coach's illness took the bloom off the team's victory.
25. the bloom is off (the rose), the excitement, enjoyment, interest, etc., has ended or been dampened.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:29 am
PenguinAttack says...

RAWR baby ^.^ It's the lions call.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:21 am
EnchantressMuffin says...

Tintinnabulation - a ringing or tinkling sound; a word that is extremely hard to spontaneously shout aloud.

...Believe me, I know. I can't get past the first syllable.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:47 am
View Likes
bobiscool134 says...

Silhouette
n.
A drawing consisting of the outline of something, especially a human profile, filled in with a solid color.
An outline that appears dark against a light background. See synonyms at outline.
tr.v., -et·ted, -et·ting, -ettes.
To cause to be seen as a silhouette; outline: Figures were silhouetted against the setting sun.
there are 10 different types of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:46 am
MadHatter says...

Chocolate Milk

1.) A milk that has had chocolate syrup added to it
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:10 pm
logosgal says...

MadHatter wrote:Chocolate Milk

1.) A milk that has had chocolate syrup added to it
Hey! What about milk that's had chocolate powder mixed in? That's my kind of chocolate milk. Are you saying that you can't make chocolate milk with the powder?? :(

Best word ever:

mumpsimus--(1) a word that's misused even after correction, or belief that's obstinately adhered to, despite evidence to the contrary, (2) a person who obstinately holds to such a belief or word use. (That's not quite the dictionary definition, but I couldn't find the site that I originally found this on. If I ever find it, I'll post a link, 'cause it has a cool story with it.) :D

Mumpsimus is also a good word for hangman. :twisted:
Home is where the books are.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:49 pm
MadHatter says...

Carwindowshield

1.) The glass front of the car
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence