"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:52 am
MailicedeNamedy says...

It looks like this actually helped me through my teenage years.
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:55 am
Shady says...

What?

[they/he]

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:56 am
NewHope says...

I too am confused.

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:56 am
View Likes
Shady says...

You know what cures that? Cheetos. @SilverNight said so

[they/he]

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:58 am
NewHope says...

I don't have.

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:01 am
View Likes
Shady says...

I have one thing I want to say for myself @SilverNight

[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:28 am
MailicedeNamedy says...

I don´t know about this, but raclette cheese is nice.

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:21 am
Shady says...

These are exotic cheeses xD I am basiccc

I like fiesta blend shredded cheese in quesadillas
mozzarella on pizza or string cheese
mild cheddar for mac and cheese
American/provolone/Colby-jack on sandwiches, depending on what kind
then chunks of Colby-jack or gouda if I'm eating them with crackers

And I'm p sure that's literally it xD There's one sandwich I get that's ham with gruyere and I like that but that's as close to swiss as I can get and I only have it on that one specific sandwich from the one specific restaurant haha

[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:29 am
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

I actually never ate American cheese. Now I´m curious. Now I have to look in the grocery store if we have American cheese.

What would you say is typical American cuisine - that isn´t fast food? Like what did the founding fathers eat to distinguish them from the British? I mean from a regional POV with the immigration of all the different nationalities, there has to be a great mix in the pan.

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:37 am
Shady says...

If you get American cheese make sure it isn't the "singles" -- there are like "Kraft Singles" that some people like, but they taste like plastic and are terrible haha my friends insist that I'm wrong until I give them real American cheese and they're like oh hecc this is different huh

And, yeah, honestly I feel like most of the foods we eat actually came from somewhere else and for the most part we don't know where haha

Like, having cookouts I would say is pretty solidly American -- they're really popular on Memorial Day and 4th of July in particular as a big commercialized push for having cookouts, but they're also very common and well-liked at any given day of the summer. Usually there are hamburgers, hotdogs, macaroni salad, potato salad, and deviled eggs. There are also of course a bunch of condiments and other sides etc. but I think those are probably pretty standard in general.

Do you guys have those foods?

Some states have really bizarre local cuisine, though. Like, I'm from West Virginia, and a regional food that we're really proud of are pepperoni rolls. Basically, you put pepperoni in a dinner roll -- most often they have mozzarella cheese or pepper jack cheese, too, but they can be plain -- and then at that point bake it all together. They don't need to be refrigerated so they are usually what we pack if we're going on a hike or a road trip or just need something fast to munch on on the road. Like, they're in almost every single gas station ever, all across the state. I didn't have any idea it was a WV-only thing until I went to college and we were going on a hike and I was like ah I'll go grab us some pepperoni rolls and my friends were like ?????? and I was shook to find out that gas stations do not, in fact, have these outside of our state.

[they/he]

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:41 am
Shady says...

Also, do you guys have grilled cheese sandwiches? Grilled cheese and burgers are really the only thing I eat American cheese on haha. Grilled cheese and tomato soup~

[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:52 am
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Everything of this we have. Since the end of WWII, you can get probably a lot that is common in the US also in Europe with some exceptions. I mean potato salad is the traditional german dish for Christmas Eve with some sausages. Deviled eggs for Eastern, Macaroni salad for barbecue and hamburgers and hotdogs are usually the kids' meal in any restaurant. :D

That sounds really weird, but I guess I ate already stuff that is even weirder. But it also sounds good. I mean I like eating pepperoni.

Haha, that has to be a culture shock, seeing that there are things that are unusual or unknown in other states. France for example don´t have things that Germany has, and I was there in Brittanny that has still its own cuisine.

Grilled cheese not really, I think it´s some variant of Croque Monsieur(?), but tomato soup. Actually, tomato soup is delicious.

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:28 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

haha yeah for sure! Some regional things are really good, like gumbo and jambalaya are a solidly Louisiana thing and are absolutely delightful. But then Pennsylvania has scrapple which is horrifying xD I got bullied into eating it once and it was.... fine... meaning I didn't throw it up haha but I certainly didn't get seconds. I was at a camp and tried to turn it down and the chef was like "have you ever TRIED it? No? Well you're gonna eat a piece before you get any bacon" and forced me to try it before he'd accept that I don't like it haha

Some states have chicken and waffles which is odd to me. I'm pretty neutral about it haha. I've had it and it's fine, but I don't understand the hype. Are biscuits and gravy American? I have literally no idea haha but that's more of a southern comfort food sort of style. Same for casseroles and various "salads" that have nothing at all to do with salads haha

But yeah! Pepperoni rolls are really good! Describing them just made me want to make some haha you can't buy them where I live now but I know how to make them. I slowly but surely have been turning my friends and roommates (but not in the state I currently live, yet) into pepperoni roll lovers haha and the funny thing is I don't even like pepperoni. I usually pull the pepperoni out before I actually eat it -- I just like the flavor it leaves in the bread.

I'm not actually sure Croque Monsieur is comparable -- although it looks absolutely delicious! I just looked it up and that looks like what we'd call a "hot ham and cheese" sandwich. Grilled cheese is literally just you put of buttered bread down in a pan, put American cheese on top of it, then put another piece of buttered bread on top (with the buttered-sides facing towards the pan) then cook it until the cheese is melty and the bread is crispy. It's very nice. This is also making me want grilled cheese so I'll probably have that once I wake up xD Some people make it fancy and add different kinds of cheeses and such and claim it's "gourmet" but I'd say like 99% of people just like a normal grilled cheese paired with tomato soup (it's weird because I like both grilled cheese and tomato soup on their own, but not really, and I will almost never eat one without the other unless there are extenuating circumstances)

It's like this:

[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:52 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Woah. Never heard of a lot of these things. There should be a 50 states US restaurant instead of having 7 McDonalds and 4 Burger Kings in a town with only 100.000 people...

Chicken and waffles sound great. Why not eat them together? :D Only know that biscuit thing because of my sister when she was in Florida trying to find some of our family there and eating it there. xD

Haha. That´s weird but I can understand it. I like tomato soup, but I can´t eat tomatoes raw (in hamburgers I can eat them if I have thousands of pickles surrounding it.) That sounds delicious and the picture is nice and easy to make. Maybe I should start cooking it and burn the house down with it. At least we would have something good to eat.

Do you have blood sausage and different types of sausage like liver sausage, white sausage and frankfurter? They are delicious. I'm thinking about something local that's common here. We eat a lot of wine-related food because I'm originally from the Rhineland-Palatinate. Onion cake is delicious. Or Quiche Lorraine, which comes from Alsace-Lorraine.

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.
— Henry David Thoreau