z

Young Writers Society

Paradox: Chapter 2

Reviews: 0
Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:55 pm
Lambchop says...

At this point, you're most likely wondering what's going on but, trust me when I say, I'm as lost as you. I can tell you though that my name is Kiari, pronounced Ky-ree, and that I was born seventeen years ago. From what I can recall, thing's started to change after I left the hospital on January 17th; It's now April 23.

I woke up to bright, white walls with my mother at my bedside weeping. I reached up to wipe away a tear that was rolling down her cheek, causing her to gasp. It took her a few seconds to realize that I was awake but she took me in her arms and didn't let go for a good two minutes.

“Oh thank goodness, Kiari you scared me so much I thought I had lost you,” she spoke in a quiet, worried voice while still hugging me. “Don't you dare do this to me again, the whole neighbourhood has been worried sick about you.” I didn't get a chance to reply as doctors began to walk in. Although I was a little zoned out and unaware of my surroundings, I noticed something different about my mom. Her hair seemed shinier, her teeth slightly whiter, and her eyes a shade darker. The scar above her left eye brow was also missing. I didn't think anything of it because I figured she has been using one of the infomercial products that vanishes scars. My mom buys them all the time.

The doctors explained to me that I had been hit by a driver who was texting and somehow managed to drive up onto the sidewalk where I was walking. I knew my luck wasn't the greatest, but seriously, you have to be pretty damn unlucky for something like that to happen.

“Your head injuries aren't as bad as we thought they were, but we would like to keep you here for a few more nights just to make sure nothing unusual comes to our attention,” the doctor explained. I tried to wrap my head around what he was saying. I remembered walking down the street, but not the part about getting hit by the car. I turned to my mom with a worried look.

“I don't remember getting hit.” I told her.

“That's usual, most people don't remember when critical impact occurs. Your mind goes into protection mode, blocking it out to prevent mental and emotional issues. You're probably lucky that you don't remember,” The doctor said. “However, you may have a few headaches here and there but other than that not a scratch on you.” He smiled in reassurance. I looked over my body to see if I could find any damage but to my surprise there was nothing. I was fine. Maybe I had a bit of luck after all.

My mother was eager to stay the night but I told her I would sleep better knowing she was safe at home in her own bed.

“I don't know Kiari, I really think I should stay with you. What if you need me for something or you can't sleep and I have to sing you to sleep like when you were little?” she said with a smile. For a moment I was confused as to what she was referring to, I couldn't recall a time when she ever sang me to sleep however, I do remember asking her to. I was about to say something but the smile on her face made me bite my tongue. It took a while to convince her to leave but she eventually gave in and went home.

The beds at the hospital weren't all that comfy and it took some time to get settled in. When I did, I found it hard to sleep due to mild pain at the back of my head. I tried to clear my mind of everything, I tried to count how any dots I could find on the ceiling, I even tried to count sheep but nothing worked. I laid in bed for quite a long time until I heard a faint beeping noise. I sat up to look around the room wondering if there was a machine or fan hooked up somewhere but there was nothing except me and a T.V that was shut off. It was probably just coming from another room, I thought to myself, after all this was a hospital with monitors and what not. By paying more attention to the pain now, it made it worse. I rubbed my head where the pain was located which made it feel a little better but didn't make it go away. It wasn't like a headache though, it was more like someone was poking at my brain with a sharp object but the doctors did say I would feel uncomfortable at times so I shrugged it off. Finally my eyes became too heavy to keep open and without any warning, I dozed off and began to dream.
-Yours Truly, Lambchop-

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 pm
jonathanfigaro says...

I really think this is beautifully written. I loved how you at times managed to rethink an idea, then continue with what you were saying.

Example. "For a moment I was confused as to what she was referring to, I couldn't recall a time when she ever sang me to sleep however, I do remember asking her to. I was about to say something but the smile on her face made me bite my tongue."

Also, I laughed at the part about being hit by the car and how unlucky one has to be for that to happen to them.

Great work.

Doors are for people with no imagination.
— Skulduggery Pleasant