z

Young Writers Society

Tell Me I'm A Wreck.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:56 pm
View Likes
Winchester says...

“You look like a post box Adrienne, a bloody post box” She said, god - my step mum was so charming, warm and caring at times - I rolled out of bed, and somehow, landed on my feet. I ran a hand through my hair and stared at my step mum, who was staring at my room.

“Adie - were are your boxes?” She asked.

“What boxes?” I slurred, she looked at me, and I think she rolled her eyes at me.

“Do you know were moving house later?” She said, I mouthed an ‘oh’, and looked around my bedroom, it was empty. Of course we were.

“Oh, there over at Roxanne’s, Chris is going to drop them off later” I told her, My stuff wasn’t going to get ruined in a damn moving van - did she realise how long it took me to collect all the crap that had ended up on my wall? She didn’t even bother asking, and walked back out of my room, leaving me to get ready for school.

Before I could even pick up the only clothes that weren’t packed away of the radiator - she was back.

“Talking of Chris, he’s making you breakfast, since we don’t have time, and your going to Matt’s after school” She told me, I already knew this, she had repeated it around five times last night. Chris was making me his version of a McMuffin apparently, I don’t know why my step mum, and my best friends older brother had what seemed like an in depth conversation over my breakfast - but that was the people I know for you, and Matt was dragging me around his, since I was moving from across Roxanne’s, to across from his, and insisting to cook for me, because the move was such a stressful thing.

I had put everything in my room in brown, cardboard boxes that had a weird smell because they had been stuck in the shed since we moved from New Jersey, America to a small town in Manchester, England three years ago - stressful? Yeah - of course, I hope you noted the sarcasm in that. Well, at least it was free food, or something I didn’t have to cook for once.

“Yeah Jo, Okay!” I shouted back to her, slipping out of my pyjama’s printed with various types or cats dressed up in what the manufactures thought were ‘top fashion trends’ with smiley faces, mature? No - comfy? Yes. I threw on my clothes - jeans, t-shirt, the red converse Matt had bought me the first Christmas I had spent in England which I adored, and which were not getting damaged in a moving van, even though they’ve already been beaten the shit out of.

It seemed like my feet hadn’t grown for three years.The wooden stairs creaked loudly as I jumped down them for the very last time, I was wondering maybe to actually act like a five year old and verbally say ‘goodbye’ to them, but decided not to - all they had caused was trouble when it came to being hungry at 3 in the morning.

“Joanna - you forgot to leave me a jumper out!” I shouted into the kitchen, I heard a mass of cutlery be put down, and my step mum scatter into the kitchen to see exactly what the problem was.

“Oh Adie - I’m so sorry, you’ll have to have a rummage through the boxes once you get to Roxanne’s.” She said, before leaving me and going back to their cutlery. I sighed and walked to the front door, avoiding boxes of furniture and bubble wrapped kitchen items. I opened the door to be confronted with the fact that it was pouring it down, and the realization that the only umbrella I owned was stuck in a strange smelling cardboard box straight across the street.

I swore under my breath, and made a dash for it, almost getting run over by the moving van that was coming down the street to park outside my house, I ran up the now slightly slippy steps that belonged to my best friends house - and finally made it to their door, I knocked furiously, of course it was the only house on the street not to have some sort of porch with an actual shelter - and of course it was the only house without a backdoor, meaning I couldn’t run round the back and go round into the kitchen, no - I had to stand in the rain for five minutes while my best friend’s older brother climbed over her piles, and piles of books and had to be extra careful not to harm any of her pets so he wouldn’t get his throat slit by Roxanne.

I knocked again, harder before starting to shout - “Chris Joseph Danvers - if you or your sister don’t get this fucking door now, I will fucking kill you, and trust me - it will be a painful death!” I yelled, I knew they could hear me, and I glanced around noticing an older woman giving me a death glare at my language - I shrugged and turned round to find Chris looking at me with an amused look on his face.

“Darling, you look like tulip” He said, I glared at him - a tulip? Really - the reactions to my recent hair dye job, in which concluded in my hair turning a very, extremely vibrant red, were - what could I say? Extremely creative.

“Urm Thanks” I said, pushing past him, and started jumping over piles of books, knowing I’d be dead if I knocked even the smallest mountain of pages full of words and black and white pictures over.

To be perfectly honest, I liked his…what was probably a compliment? Better than Joanne’s - a post-box? Really, Joanne…really? Tulips at least smelled nice, Post-boxes were graffitied on, crashed into, puked on, and had Hubba Bubba stuck on the inside, since most kids my age had nothing better to do.

On my journey to the kitchen, I ended up picking up Roxanne’s newest pet - A kitten; Freddie was its name, for the moment - it could change any day, c’mon -
we were talking about Roxanne here.

“Chris! I told you not to let any of the animals on my boxes!” I shouted noticing one of Roxanne’s Hedgehogs…yes, a hedgehog had made it’s self comfy on one of my cardboard boxes with god knows what in it, Chris turned to see exactly what I was talking about - and quickly grabbed a tea towel of the side and picked up the hedgehog, (don’t bother asking me what it’s name is, because I had no idea) - and placed it on the floor were it went crawling off to sleep behind a pile of books somewhere.

Chris handed me some sort of sandwich - I looked up in shock at him - “Right - so I come over, getting excited because apparently you was going to make me some rip-off McDonalds meal - and you hand me a chicken sandwich?” I asked, trying to keep a straight face - Chris wasn’t doing a good job; he was leaned against the kitchen counter laughing his head off.

“You always know how to knock me down” He laughed, it started me off, and for a minute we both sat laughing over what? A Chicken sandwich.

“Let me guess, you had to do a night class at college last night, because you were hung-over yesterday, because you went to that dress-up party thing, and got pissed” I said, once I had regained my sanity - Chris stopped laughing and raised his eyebrows at me.

“Good guess” He said, I smirked at him.

“Yeah - Rox told me, apparently you scored as well” I said, winking at him - Chris went bright red, and I laughed at him, he knew that if both I and Roxanne knew he had a new girl he wasn’t going to here the end of it. Ever.

“Talking about relationships - how’s you and Justin?” He suddenly asked. He had me; I looked down and started muttering.

“Were not talking” I said, Chris looked at me, his happy expression suddenly turning to that I’m-not-your-older-brother-but-I’m-going-to-act-like-it look.

“Charmaine” I said. the one name that summed everything up relationship related about me.

“She’s a bitch” Chris simply said, and before he could go of on some lecture or rant my phone buzzed - “Is that him…or her?” he then asked, I stared at him in disgust.

“Explain. Why would I have Charmaine’s number in my phone?” I asked, Chris shrugged his shoulders. “And, no it was -” I was cut off by a door banging.

“Matt” A familiar voice shouted, and suddenly Matt appeared in the Kitchen - being as gay as he always is, he totally fitted the whole stereotype - he had the gay style, the gay voice, the whole drama queen aura. He looked around the kitchen and his eyes rested on my hair, and my head collapsed into my hands rested on the table.

“Please don’t shout!” I said, lifting my head up, my eyes pleading with him.

“I would ask - Adrienne, why did you dye your hair bright red? But the reply would just be, ‘because I can’” He said, I laughed. And Chris smirked.

“And even though you’ve done a pretty good job, school is going to kill you - on your very first day” He said, playing with a strand of it in-between two fingers - I rolled my eyes - school hated me, it was constantly killing me, dying my hair a very bright red wasn’t going to change anything.

Then Roxanne appeared - tying her blonde hair up, and attempting to keep her school bag on her shoulder - when she finally got an amount of hair she was happy with tied up, she reached into her bag and pulled an umbrella out, giving me no warning that she was going to throw it at me. I caught it, luckily - and Roxanne clapped.

“I knew you would forget yours - shall we go now?” She said, looking around her front room, picking up around five animals and stroking them, then finding a book - I had probably never heard of, and probably would never read and chucking it into her bag.

Matt and I followed her out of the kitchen, before I realised I had forgot something.

“Guys, wait - I forgot a jumper” I shouted, before turning round and seeing Chris stood with my favourite hoodie in his hands, which confused me, because I didn’t bring up the fact that I had been extremely stupid and forgot to leave out a jacket, even though it was September.

“I saw that you had put in a box, and I knew that if you had left it there, you’d want it this morning - so I put it on the radiator” He said, throwing it at me, giving me a bit more warning than Rox and the Umbrella.

“Chris, you’re the best older brother of a best friend - ever!” I shouted as we walked out the door - Matt pointing out that Chris obviously was, since Matt was an only child.

Matt and I was walking ahead while Roxanne was slightly behind, rummaging through her bag for something, realising that she hadn’t mentioned the hair yet I turned to him, and whispered -

“Bet you a fiver she doesn’t notice for around - half an hour?” I whispered, knowing she defiantly couldn’t hear us. Matt looked at me, smiling - showing he was up for the bet.
"Winner, winner, chicken dinner" Wise words said by the one and only, Dean Winchester.

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:20 pm
Walkitch says...

I really liked this so far! :) I definitely like the first person point of view, but I think it's even better how you make it seem like the reader is in the story. I have no idea if that made sense but like in the line
(don’t bother asking me what it’s name is, because I had no idea)
obviously the reader can't ask you... but you make it seem like it's possible. I hope that made more sense XD anyway, the only thing I'd change is in the line
She said, I mouthed an ‘oh’, and looked around my bedroom, it was empty. Of course we were.
switch the two last sentences, something like "She said, I mouthed an 'oh', of course we were. i looked around my bedroom, it was empty." because when I first read it I thought they "of course we were" was still about boxes and I was temporarily confused. Also, this is probably just me, but I didn't know what a jumper was? The only thing I could come up with was a jumper cable haha. But great job I'd love to read more

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 pm
jonathanfigaro says...

“What boxes?” I slurred, she looked at me, and I think she rolled her eyes at me.

Try to remove the second or first, " me" it sounds a bit repetitive. Good work tho.

It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl