z

Young Writers Society

Has Ben, Never Was Chapter 5

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:48 pm
View Likes
DrunkOnWriting says...

“Bridget?” Ariel’s voice was unsteady as she glanced nervously between the two of us. Well, three, I suppose, although when her eyes landed on Ana I thought she was going to throw up.

“…Hey Auntie.” I forced a smile on my face, but she wouldn’t stop with that incredulous glare. I wanted to tell her that I was the victim as well – hence the handcuffs - but the way I was appraising Ben’s gash made this much less believable. Damn Damn Damn. I knew I shouldn’t have come back for him.

“What’s going on here? Who are you?” My stepmother’s sister was always very reserved, and right now I could tell she was using years of practice to keep herself from having an emotional breakdown. Those were Ana’s specialty, not hers.

I quickly stepped in before Ben could introduce himself. “Auntie Ariel, this is…Ben. He -”

Ben lurched forward suddenly, jamming a cloth over her face and holding it there. A small yelp slipped through her lips before she sank to the floor.

“That was a close one.” He stuffed the cloth back in his pocket as I regained the ability to speak.

“What the hell is wrong with you?!” He had begun to mop up the mess himself, and paused to stare at me.

“Bridget, calm down.”

“I will not! You just knocked out the only slightly sane person I know!” A fire of rage kindled in my core, devouring the small amount of kindness I had felt a moment before.

“Bridget, listen, she’ll be fine. It’s just a little chloroform.” He looked genuinely alarmed, as if the fact that this didn’t happen to me every day was a shock.

“No, you listen, mister. I was just beginning to feel comfortable, but you had to go and ruin it, didn’t you?”

I could tell the words stung, but I didn’t care. This was the last straw and even when he shrunk back like a frightened animal, I didn’t let up.

“Please, I – I don’t understand. What’s wrong?”

My jaw nearly dropped to the floor, the anger flaring up deep within me. “What’s wrong? What’s wrong?! I’ll tell you what’s wrong. You kidnapped me, drugged me, handcuffed me to your car, killed my stepmother, and drugged my aunt. Honestly, I’m not sure I can deal with any more of this.”

To my absolute shock, a tiny smirk pulled at the edges of his lips. “Well there’s not much else to do, unless you’d like me to kill your aunt.”

“This isn’t funny!” I screeched, appalled at his callous attitude.

“Okay, okay. I was just trying to lighten the mood a little.”

“I’m almost positive we’re past that. What are you going to do about this?” I gestured to the dead and unconscious bodies on the floor. He shrugged.

“Clean it up and make it look like she overdosed, in Ana’s case. Ariel’s going to be tricky…maybe we’ll just put her in bed or something.”

My head spun and I closed my eyes, desperate for the normalcy I realized long ago I could never experience. “I can’t deal with this. I’m leaving.”

“Bridget! Wait!” He caught up easily, seeing as he wasn’t lugging 100 pounds of metal with him.

“Get away from me.” My voice was sharper than our kitchen knife, and seemed to hurt him more as well. He cringed, but held my shoulders steadily.

“Bridget, I love you.” The words shocked me and I faltered in my anger for a moment. No one had ever said that to me before, not even when I was little, and the weight of it made me stagger. His passionate gaze bore into me, and as much as I wanted to, I couldn’t look away.

“No Ben."

“I will never let you go.” His deep blue eyes were ice, freezing me on the spot with no hope of future movement. No words came. We just stared at each other for an endless moment.

Then the tears came. Everything came crashing down on me, a wave of emotion that drained out through my eyes. Shaking sobs rocked my body, and I lost the strict control I had worked to harbor for so long. His arms wrapped around me and I couldn’t even bring myself to shrug him off.

“Shh…it’s okay.” Ben held me in his arms, and I realized for the first time how nice it was to be comforted, how warm life became when someone loved you.

“Oh my god…” It was all sinking in as I dropped to the floor, just inches from the threshold that led to my freedom. Ana was dead. She would never hurt me again, never come home drunk or high, never stink up the house with her cigarettes or bring back some dumpy boyfriend she met on the street. She was dead. And Ben had killed her.

Just like that, he had snapped. Lost control. I was convinced he had a condition, but that didn’t change the facts, the what-ifs. What if, the next time he loses it, I’m the one who gets hurt? As lovely as this affectionate sentiment was, I couldn’t lose sight of who was proving that feeling. He was still a criminal, no matter how sweet he seemed or what he did in his spare time. Common sense trickled back into me and I tried to free myself from Ben’s deceiving embrace.

“Let me go!” I thrashed in his arms, startling him and loosening his grip enough for me to break through. Ben fell back, stunned and hurt.

“What…what are you doing?” I was prepared this time, looking away before he could con me with that puppy dog look.

I also realized that getting anywhere was impossible if you were handcuffed to the door of a truck. Sighing, I tried my best at my own dissembling.

“I – it was uncomfortable…” I held up my wrists. “…you know, with the door. My hands hurt.”

“Oh! Sorry. I wouldn’t of even handcuffed you in the first place – especially if I knew you were going to destroy my truck – but I thought….I thought you’d run away.” He pulled a miniature key out of his pocket, clicking it into the cuffs and twisting it with delicate precision. They popped open, sweet relief washing over my wrists. “There, better?”

“Much, thank you.” I rubbed the area, sniffling back tears from earlier. Doing some quick thinking, I looked up over my lashes. “I think there’s lotion in the bathroom cabinet, could you get me some?”

“Sure. I’ll be right back.” My vulnerable state apparently gave him the sense that I wasn’t going anywhere, and he slipped casually down the hallway.

Big mistake. As soon as he was out of range, I pushed off the floor and tore down the grey driveway. Tiny shoots of green peeked through the cracks, tickling my bare feet. The air was infused with warmth, its embrace replacing that of my former captor. Muscle and sinew worked in harmony, propelling me forward into freedom.

I heard his voice shouting from far behind me, vain attempts to bring me back. The roar of the truck engine made me realize that if I stayed on the road he would find me. After a moment’s deliberation and a short breath, I veered off into the deep woods, hoping I had made the right decision.
Last edited by DrunkOnWriting on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:05 pm
Iggy says...

Yay! I'm in the story! More! XD

Again, beautiful scenery. Your use of imagery is amazing, as always. I love how she always tries to escape! She's so brave, and strong! XD

Can't wait to read more!

- Ariel<3'
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:01 pm
View Likes
anasn2 says...

Where are you going with this!?
You keep twisting the plot, taking it to a higher level. Beware Drunk, when you reach the top going back down will be hard. Keep introducing characters, make it stronger :D
Very well done
Life was made to annoy us.
Try it: contests/viewcontest.php?id=66

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 pm
View Likes
mparq says...

Ah, into the woods she goes. Finally. Hopefully this time, she can stay away for more than two seconds :P Another fast-paced chapter and the action keeps coming, but I do hope that these next few chapters will be a little slower and more reflective. I feel like in these last few chapters, there have been more captures, close escapes, crazy outbursts, and chloroform drops than in a James Bond movie. Time to kick the subdued suspense into gear.

I loved this paragraph:

Big mistake. As soon as he was out of range, I pushed off the floor and tore down the grey driveway. Tiny shoots of green peeked through the cracks, tickling my bare feet. The air was infused with warmth, its embrace replacing that of my former captor. Muscle and sinew worked in harmony, propelling me forward into freedom.

Awesome imagery, and it really makes me feel like we're turning a corner in the story with the "embrace replacing that of my former captor."

I am a little confused as to the role of the aunt. Hopefully, something happens with her and she's not just left unconscious on the floor. That was completely unexpected though, but then again nothing really goes as expected with you, does it?

Another tantalizing chapter. Keep it up! :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:42 pm
View Likes
lele253isme says...

You have amazing imagery, as I'm sure you know by now from your comments. Your an amazing writer, and I like what you've turned this series into. Good job!!!

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:03 pm
View Likes
confetti says...

I know I've said this before in a previous review, but I really think this story is taking a turn for the unrealistic. The bits of emotion that you portray that should be realistic have a forced feel to them. This is really the only issue at the moment - the odd portrayal of emotion from the main character. It does seem like she's reacting more realistic as the story moves on, but it's not quick enough. Sorry for the short review, but that was my only gripe with this chapter. The writing is still good, and I'm glad to see that the chapter didn't start out with setting description.
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:51 am
Jas says...

I was going to do a full review on this but I'm not even sure whether you're going to see it so I'll just tell you the one big problem you have. I've read all the chapters posted so far.

This is so ridiculously unrealistic. Like. It's not even okay how unbelievable this is. Unless this is meant to be satire, you have to change this. Do your research. Put yourself in Bridget's place. If a strange man that you didn't know kidnapped you, drugged you and killed your freaking stepmother, no you would not be sarcastic. No. Just no.

Do you know about Stockholm syndrome? It's when a someone who has been kidnapped falls in love with their kidnapper. This does not happen over the course of a few hours, no matter how attractive the kidnapper is. This happens within several months, within years, within decades. Most of the time, it doesn't happen.

People don't exactly like being kidnapped, no matter how nice and cute and thoughtful their kidnapper is. To be honest, Ben sounds clinically insane. He is obsessed with Bridget and regardless of the fact that he's kidnapped her and drugged her, he feels that he's doing the right thing. He has no issues with murdering another human being and expects sympathy and makes jokes immediately after. This is sick. This is actually sick.

When people are KILLING OTHER PEOPLE, they do not make little snide jokes about it. In Shakespeare's Macbeth, the main character Macbeth goes a little bit insane and has hallucinations BEFORE killing someone then eventually, becomes a paranoid lunatic after. His wife sleep-walks and imagines that the blood from the murder is still on her hands. She eventually dies from her craziness.

People do not kill other people and make jokes unless they are full-on psycho and that can work very well with Ben, but not if you have Bridget going along with it. She should be scared that Ben's going to rape or kill her! Not giggling and swooning over how hot he is!

Also, no matter how much you hate a person, you cannot simply say that you felt 'a bit sick' after seeing them have their throats sliced open. I don't know. Maybe Bridget and Ben are both crazy. They deserve each other then.

But if you keep it so unrealistic like it is now, I, personally, will not be a reader and you definitely will lose most of your readers (or at least the logical ones).

You have so much talent as a writer but this is so unrealistic and poorly researched that it completely cancels out any of the good things in this.

~Jas
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

'Like' and 'equal' are two entirely different things.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time